does anyone use a dehydrator for making jerky?

tunisianswife

two of my dogs love love jerky. i bought some natural duck jerky from dogs.com and they loove it. I also bought some all natural chicken breasts and those will keep them busy for a while.

does anyone have a dehydrator, and if you do-does it make good jerky? do you use it to feed as dog treats? I'm thinking that it would almost be cheaper for me to invest in one because the all natural ones aren't cheap. I was able to get 2 bags of chicken ones today for $4 each on half-price and the bags are small. I could buy a package of chicken breasts for $4 and make a ton of it.

any feedback welcome

Hey...hold on..I actually have a great recipe for Jerky...

I'll repost it.

Yes, I use mine...!

I LOVE IT!

Some people opt to use their ovens set at a low temp, but the dehydrator

costs less to run so I chose to use it instead of the oven, but they work in like manner!

i dun have 1, but i would like to have 1.... the reason is same as yours.

This topic is also a big hit in asia, ppl just make thier own chicken jerk, they stated that take 6 hours to finish

FIRST of all I have to say to ayckorea...chin chin is absolutely ADORABLE.....!

Ok...

Here are a couple recipes I have from a website of natural and organic dog foods & Treats...

Poultry Jerky

Begin with free-range chicken or turkey that has been fed a natural poultry diet and does not have added hormones or antibiotics.

Slice the white or dark meat as thinly as possible with a sharp blade or electric knife. Some natural markets will do this upon request.

Marinate the poultry strips in enough organic apple cider vinegar to soak the meat. Cover container and keep in the refrigerator overnight.

The next day, drain the strips and arrange them onto the dehydrator trays. Follow your dehydrator’s instructions for meat dehydrating.

Sweet Potato Chips

Sweet potatoes are an excellent carbohydrate source for dogs, but white potatoes are never to be used.

Wash and pat dry the organic raw sweet potatoes.

Slice sweet potatoes into thin chips.

Arrange chips on the dehydrator, and follow the dehydrator’s vegetable instructions.

Apple Rings

Organic apples make a great treat. Granny Smith apples are the best!

Core several large organic apples with an apple corer.

Once the core is removed, thinly slice the apple until each apple has been converted into a stack of apple rings.

Do not remove the skin, but do make sure all seeds have been disposed of. Apple cores and seeds can be highly toxic to dogs.

Only use the fruit and skin.

(Some browning of the apple flesh may occur as air oxidizes the fruit)

Load rings into dehydrator and follow the dehydrator’s fruit instructions.

Garlic Salmon or White Fish Strips

Never use farmed salmon unless it has been purchased from a retailer that maintains its own fish farms and guarantees that its fish have been fed a natural salmon-in-the-wild style diet. Most farmed salmon available in supermarkets contains an unacceptable level of cancer-causing PCBs. Select boned and skinned wild, or naturally farmed, salmon for your strips. Only use salmon that has been previously frozen, for the freezing kills parasites that can be harmful to dogs. If the proper salmon is unavalaible, white fish can be used.

Dehydrating and Dog Treat Recipe Tips

Apple cider vinegar, fish or garlic may produce a strong odor while dehydrating. Using the dehydrator outside or in a seldom-used area of the home or garage will help.

Any meat can be substituted for the poultry in the jerky recipe, but red meats, unless extraordinarily fat-free, take longer to dry and will spoil quicker.

All dehydrated treats should be bagged in small, tightly sealed bags. Without refrigeration, unopened sealed bags will protect the treats for weeks. With refrigeration, treats last even longer.

Each type of food must be prepared individually. Dehydrators are meant to handle one food group at a time. Thoroughly clean your dehydrator trays between drying sessions.

All ingredients in these recipes provide a healthful benefit to dogs. However, a dog that is addicted to the grains, salt and other additives in commercial dog food and commercial dog treats may need time to detoxify and convert his bad habits before he welcomes his new healthy treats with two paws up.

Yummy!

My friend in Australia absolutely loves her dehydrator. I have to make do with 'dehydrating' my dogs treats' in the residual heat left in the oven after cooking a meal :ohyeah:

WOW... Vicki....u scared me..... cuz of the color n bold.... i just thought what did i do wrong.... :ohyeah:

:imstupid:

after reply you, i have to go back to read your jerk recipes....

WOW... Vicki....u scared me..... cuz of the color n bold.... i just thought what did i do wrong.... :ohyeah:

:imstupid:

after reply you, i have to go back to read your jerk recipes....

ahhhhhhh...no no......you didn't do anything wrong..I'm sorry I scared you..

Ahhh.... Bless your heart!

No, Honey, no.., BUT um......the only thing you DID do that was wrong though?

Was not send Chin Chin to live with me.. :imstupid: LOL :boomer:

I have a dehydrator, but I prefer the oven for making sweet taters. Faster and no washing. I use foil and a cookie sheet.

I also microwave the whole sweet tater and my bird and Trudy love it.

PICT0544sm.jpg

tunisianswife

thanks everyone for the tips, and thanks Vicki for the recipes. I think this is what I am going to get myself for Christmas.

What great recipes!! Thanks for posting.. When my dad shoots deer in season he often makes deer jerkey with his deyhdrator.. I'll have to tell him to save some for the babies this year!!

I make jerky for the babies all the time. I just take chicken breast, pork roast or beef roast and slice into thin strips then throw in the dehydrator until finished. Because there's no preservatives I store them in the freezer in ziploc bags.

Rita

• 1 month later...

I just bought a deyhdrator and am planning on using it for chicken jerky for the fur kids. I was worried about bacteria as the dehydrator is low temp and takes several hours. I called the company and was told that all chicken should be pre cooked before deyhdrating to kill samonella. So she suggested cutting it in thin strips and pan searing or boiling before putting it in the dehydrator. I was afraid I would make my babies sick and just wanted to be sure how to do it.

Susan