homecooking recipes

Kristin

Does anyone have any recipes that you could share? I have two cookbooks.....but would like to hear about anything that works for you!

ShihtzuBeauty

For yourself or the furkkids?

Kristin

For yourself or the furkkids?

LOL!!! I would starve.....I am looking for recipes for the babies!

I went to a homeopathic vet on Friday and she HIGHLY recommended home cooking. I was cooking for them before but out of 101 recipes that the book contained, the little ones would only eat ONE! The majority of the recipes contained fruits, veggies, etc....and after putting the meat and everything through the food processor, it would make a mushy slop that didn't smell too great. My pups really like meat (chicken, ground beef) and rice but they don't seem to like fruits, eggs, cottage cheese blended together. I do love cooking for them but hate to waste so much food when they turn up their noses. I was hoping to find more basic recipes that they will enjoy. My little male has elevated liver enzymes so he needs more of a basic diet.....and I just need it to be balanced. Any suggestions?

eeyoredag

Please excuse me if this is a stupid question but I am very curious. Why would you blend everything together? I know from personal experience with an elderly friend that they did that too is does look like slop and smells like slop for pigs. I have always cooked some food for my babies but never blended it together. I just chop it up in small pieces or grate it up. Maybe they would like it better that way. Just curious. I don't know how the official way of home cooking goes.

I like to use the slow cooker. I use lamb and sweet potato, broccoli, carrots. You can also cook Salmon and veggies. Just keep it simple. Don't blend the food up. This is just added on to your dog food, right? If you do only homecooked, you have to really be careful and add calcium, etc. If you also give dog food, it is good to add the fresh food with no worries. They are balanced. Fresh food is great.

PICT0945500-1.jpg

PICT0544sm.jpg

updo.jpg

I've never blended the food either. My 3 are so picky I know they wouldn't eat it that way. Dogaware is a good place to start learning about homecooking. Like Sally said, you have to be careful that they get the calcium and other minerals they need.

Kristin

Please excuse me if this is a stupid question but I am very curious. Why would you blend everything together? I know from personal experience with an elderly friend that they did that too is does look like slop and smells like slop for pigs. I have always cooked some food for my babies but never blended it together. I just chop it up in small pieces or grate it up. Maybe they would like it better that way. Just curious. I don't know how the official way of home cooking goes.

Not a stupid question at all! I thought the very same thing...why use the food processor to blend? I have to admit, I made one recipe that called for approximately 15 different ingredients (looked good) but then after blending it all -- it looked and smelled horrible. You could not even smell the liver and turkey breast that I had cooked. I really want to cook entirely without using kibble. The vet said that his little system cannot digest kibble so it would be better on his liver/kidneys to go with homecooking.

I thought maybe I could just buy a supplement and add it to a recipe ... but I guess it is not that easy,

Bluesy and Sally, do you do strictly homecooking?

eeyoredag

I'm glad it wasn't a stupid question and did not offend you. I am very interested in home cooking but the internet can be so confusing and misleading. I have birds besides Teddy & Tonka so this subject in very interesting to me. I leaned some with my bearded dragon.

I homecooked for Trudy when all of the recalls were happening. One year solid. I had to add calcium. I forget what else. I told my vets I was doing it and they were happy. I had to stop when I had surgery two years ago. She is back on her Naural Balance Canned Venison and she eats various foods also. I love the canned for her and she does too. Let's hope there is NEVER another recall problem again. It didn't effect her food, but I didn't want to take the chance. The lamb and salmon was expensive. Best left for once in a while, ha.

ShihtzuBeauty

I'm gonna move your post to our "recipes for our furkids" forum there are some great ideas in there too. :dede:

My 3 eat mostly cooked with some raw. I follow Monica Segal's information. You can find her at the yahoo groups, her's is called "k9 kitchen". They are very in depth and technical about it all though. Dogaware is a great place to start learning about homecooking or raw.

My 3 eat mostly cooked with some raw. I follow Monica Segal's information. You can find her at the yahoo groups, her's is called "k9 kitchen". They are very in depth and technical about it all though. Dogaware is a great place to start learning about homecooking or raw.

Rita...

I have contacted Monica to see if she can help me get s diet plan together for Emmi and then one formulated for Suzie and Corkey as well..

But she's booked until mid to late Summer...

Altho I do enjoy reading everyone's posts in that group...

I really wish Monica and her mods would break down their talk in laymen's terms...they talk as if we all know what it is, etc...

So, as a new comer to the idea of home cooking, it's all so overwhelming and confusing too...

I will look into that other site posted on this thread.

I do know, I want nothing more than to simply home cook. There is still so much scare of unmentioned additives in dog foods today, that who

's to say what is truly safe to feed..regardless of the brand quality....

Even HIGH GRADED brands, have manufacturers that don't, by law, have to list everything they use to preserve, etc what they manufacture,

before it even gets to the company for retail sale.

And that to me is becoming more and more scary....and now learning that P&G bought out all of the Nutra Company? OMG!

Rita...

I really wish Monica and her mods would break down their talk in laymen's terms...they talk as if we all know what it is, etc...

So, as a new comer to the idea of home cooking, it's all so overwhelming and confusing too...

Tell me about it Vicki! I was the same way until I read her book, K9 Kitchen. It walks you through the whole diet making process and gives the details in (mostly) easy to understand language. There's still some stuff in the emails that make me do this :) or this :hideingbhindcurtian: hahaha! I'm amazed at how much knowledge they have, I'm always learning new stuff.

Quote - I have contacted Monica to see if she can help me get s diet plan together for Emmi and then one formulated for Suzie and Corkey as well..

But she's booked until mid to late Summer...

Awwww, that's too bad. Hopefully she'll be able to get you in sooner rather than later.

I agree about the dog food, what really grossed me out though was an episode of Dirty Jobs, I think in season 5, where he visits a rendering plant :puke: Edited to add - the meat products from the rendering plant was the generic "meat and bone meal" mystery meat in the Ol' Roy type foods.

Edited by bluesy
  • 2 weeks later...

My girls would never eat blended foods. They want everything seperated..meat..veggies..whatever. They are totaly spoiled. My husband does the cooking at our house, but I do the cooking for the girls. He loves them to death, yet he says they are just testing me to see how far they can go.

I am always looking for something new that I can feed them. I also need a better understanding of their nutritional needs. If you find something good, I hope you will post them. I always read them all, sometimes it just takes me awhile to catch up.

• 4 years later...
babybluegirl

A reason for blending foods could be to disguise something? i.e. like with babies, they might not eat certain vegetables, but blend it together and they eat it all up! I guess it could be the same with dog food. Blend up some vegetables that they normally don't like to eat and they'll eat it all together?

I can give my Riley a carrot to knaw on and he loves it, give him carrots cooked and drizzled with a little honey and he eats that sometimes, yet a raw sliced up carrot with his meal, he won't touch.

babybluegirl

9:55pm