Key West, Florida

FairyTail Josette

My fil lives in the Florida Keys during the winter. Hubby and I just took Josey down on vacation. Everyplace I took her...she was welcome.

I was a little concerned, because, the city council just passed a new ordinance regarding dogs eating outdoors at restaurants. The city is now requiring restaurants to purchase an expensive city permit to allow dogs at their outdoor tables in their establishments. (A lady tripped over a dog laying on the floor at a restaurant there.....and is now suing the restaurant! Ridiculous.) But, we didn't have any problems.

Josey was allowed into all shops/bars/restaurants we entered. (We always ate outside.) She was allowed into the Ernest Hemingway House tour, the Pigeon Key Island boat/island tour, the U.S. Coast Guard ship tours, the Key West Aquarium, and the butterfly garden tour. But, no dogs are allowed on the Key West city beach.

Just an fyi, we go up to Marathon....Sombrero Beach....that's very dog friendly. Another fyi....I should mention that Josey was only allowed to enter onto the boat for the Pigeon Key Island tour, because, my fil knows the director of the island and she stayed in a bag. Last week, a dog was on the island and ate a bird there! The island is nationally preserved by the government. A very rare bird that had been ill was taken to the island to recover and live out his life, there. A lady let her dog run loose and the poor bird was attacked and eaten. Irresponsible dog owners really irritate me. But, overall, a very dog friendly place. Just make sure you have water with you at all times....warm and humid.

Claudiabehr

Suzi, weren't you worried about Josey getting overheated? I find that both Panda and Cadbury, on a hot day (here that means 75 degrees) just sit down in the road and refuse to walk because it's too warm. They act as though I'm killing them.............so I wondered what it was like for Josey.

FairyTail Josette

Suzi, weren't you worried about Josey getting overheated? I find that both Panda and Cadbury, on a hot day (here that means 75 degrees) just sit down in the road and refuse to walk because it's too warm. They act as though I'm killing them.............so I wondered what it was like for Josey.

Josey loves the warm weather and heat. On a hot day, she will go out on the deck and lay in the sun. Hubby calls her a baked brownie. lol She doesn't like the snow or cold weather. (Mandy is just the opposite and would love to live in Alaska.) When traveling/sight seeing, she's always in a bag. It's easier and safer to move around in large crowds. So, she wasn't walking anywhere. (Cody and Mandy stayed with my parents.) If I took Mandy down there, she would react just like Cadbury and Panda. She would have been miserable. :blush-anim-cl:

Wicket's mom

Sounds like a great vacation, and how wonderful you got to enjoy it all with Josey!

Emma's mommy

Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation. It's very nice to know that Josey was welcomed in so many places. Hubbies are so funny, "baked brownie" too cute! :)

FairyTail Josette

Thanks guys!

I think Claudia brought up a very important topic here about the heat and the Shih Tzu breed. I told Claudia that we did see many toy breeds out and about in the Keys. It was very "do-able" to take a pet this time of year. (We were in the shade much of the time during tours, and there was a nice breeze. Many places had water bowls outside their front door. Of course, Josey won't touch a water bowl. So, I carried a small water bottle with me everywhere....just in case.) But, for the record, this summer, I would not recommend taking your pet down there. Triple digits and humidity in the summer there. My fil says it's like a ghost town there during the spring/summer/and fall. Also, nobody wants to be there during hurricane season, either.