Pics of my trip to the animal shelter off base

PhantomLover007

PhantomLover007

It's been a while since I've posted on STC2, but I figured this would be something important to share w/ you guys.

I am currently living in Korea because the Army needs me here for a yr. I couldn't take my boy Benjamin because I am living int he barracks, so he's living w/ my parents and they love him to death. He's stuck to my dad... lol. I miss my boy alot, so I started looking into volunteering at the vet clinic here on Camp Walker. They're hours were so short, that I couldn't do anything, so I started looking at the surrounding city, Daegu. There are a few animal groups here in Korea and I joined two of them on FaceBook. ARK(Animal Rescue Korea) and KAPS(Korean Animal Protection Society). There is a local KAPS shelter in the city and I made a trip there this past Saturday..

I was NOT prepared for what happened to me. I couldnt keep the tears from welling up in my eyes. Thruth be told.... I was so close to breaking down completely just from looking into their eyes. This from a male Soldier too.. :aktion033:

All the shih-tzus that were in there was a shame. A proud lion dog shouldn't not be guarding a family home and not be able to give all of its love to them. I just sat there on the ground in the back area and was overwelmed, surrounded by alot of Shiddie love. Some just want someone to pet them, some just wanted someone to chill w/ and some simply wanted someone to play w/ them. I will be back again!

Here's a link to the pics...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa....5456&type=1

I asked one of the Korean ladies that worked at the shelter if there were some toys and she didn't have a clue. I found a rope toy which I moved back and forth across the ground getting the attention of all the one's outside. This kinda led to one snapping at another, so I stopped that quickly. They all wanted to play so badly though. I could tell it.

They werent' too bad on food. The shelter had a pallet full of dry kibble. They do have activities that go on. There's a dog walk this coming wknd and I'm going to go.

They all surrounded me when I sat on the ground. I petted all of them, scratched behind their ear, on top of their heads, and the sweet spot to make their legs scratch... lol. They all loved the attention.

The reasons why there are so many in the shelter can range from people thinking that they won't get that big (maybe thought they would stay imperial/teacup size), kids wanting a pet and becoming tired of it, behavioral problems or not wanting to take the time to properly assess and correct the problems, military not realising or wanting to pay the fees to leave korea w/ a pet, etc... I guess you can say the "usual people problems"

They have a wash/clipping station there and a few needed a trim and wash. From the looks of it, their eyes are going to be the biggest problem. Alot of them have dirt and need them cleaned.

Right now.. there is a big warning about canine flu spreading around. A shelter in Busan is fighting it right now and it's supposedly spreading. I'm hoping it doesn't hit here. I'm going to be as active as I can here since I don't have my munchkin, so some other lucky dogs are going to get some attention from me.

I'm going to see what all the shelter needs and try to help out as much as I can. Every little bit helps and Shids are worth all of it.

personally i think this

behavioral problems or not wanting to take the time to properly assess and correct the problems
is the biggest problem. people don't realize that the naughty mischievous nature of these guys needs to be corrected or it leads to aggression. i really believe that's exactly what happened with hunter. and of course they then get shipped off to a shelter.

Ugh! Thats so sad! They are so lucky to have you to care for them at least! Good for you!

TillyMaeTinkles

I want them all! Bad or good I would take them all in a heart beat. They're too cute, and that's A LOT of Shih Tzus. Our shelters have very few....because I went looking for one originally when I wanted a dog. I couldn't find a single one.

And it's true they are bratty, naughty, mischievous dogs. They're very stubborn and it takes patience. I think that's what I love most about them (Hmmm...explains why I end up with ALL the bratty shih tzu's on my schedule at work to groom) I still could never imagine dumping my dog off at a shelter...even if I had to live in my car....I'd be living in the car WITH my dog.

JasperandAkira'smom

And this is why I can not go to a shelter. I would be crying and then be named a horder because I would not be able to leave them there. I just don't get it, I have had animals all my life and I could never get rid of them. I know there are reasons but I hope I never have to do such a thing.

Carolina Girl

WOW! This breaks my heart....Shelter dogs are the saddest creatures on Earth.......Dogs are not disposable, people just don't realized that. Thanks for serving our country and the orphans at the shelter. You're a good man.....

• Like 1
PhantomLover007

I talked w/ some of the folks that are active w/ the shelter and this is what they have told me.

Leashes and harnesses for Shih Tzu sized dogs are always needed, if anyone has any old leashes or harnesses they don't use any more we would love them. This also goes for dog clothes, xsmall, small, medium. Food is always great, wet food and treats brilliant. Outdoor play things are good too. warm clothes

this is a quote from one of the volunteers:

"for some time I have been really wanting to research a way to improve the shihtzu room...build levels with waterproof legs, and add some beds to the middle level or something....something that gives the shih more than a piece of wood to stand on. Would you be interested in working together on a plan, and then do the leg work to find materials and ultimatley help build something for these pups that have spent 8 years on a dirty concrete floor and one sheet of wood? I would love to talk about design and options.

I also have another project I would love to do to help the big dogs. I have a huge memory foam bed mattress that I have cut up into dog size beds...I need someone able to talk to a "tarp seamstress" and find out how much to make a covering for these foam pieces so we can turn them into waterproof, cleanbale beds. Buying using tarp material it becomes waterproof and cleanable

."

the shih-tzu room is the cage w/ all of them in it. it's 6ft by 6ft iirc. small for 12 or more shiddies, but it's what they have to work w/

i just couldn't waste my time here this time. last time i was in korea, i stayed in my room basically except to go downtown shopping. i refuse to do this this time. i see my new life as doing something fulfilling and this is going to be very much that.

besides, my shiddie means alot to me and since i don't have him here, i miss him loads, so this will be my way of showing how much i love them all, not just my lil shit... lol

they used to have a paypal acct for folks to donate to, but for some reason it was frozen becaue they weren't a "501 organization". i'm trying to research it. i was thinking of using my own acct, but they said that paypal might freeze it if they find out about it. idk. gotta figure something out.

PhantomLover007

As far as mailing donatatable goods for the shelter, I asked what would be best for them (send to the shelter itself or have the stuff mailed to my address) and they said it would be better to mail to my address and they would link up w/ me to get it. Which would be every weekend, because I plan to spend at least 1 day a week there helping out, especially if we get the plans rolling for the Shiddie cage.

Here is my mailing address:

SSG Matthew McReynolds

Unit# 15027

Box 313

APO AP 96218

PhantomLover007

They have a couple dog walks scheduled and there is one this wknd which I am definitely going to attend. I talked a little bit about the shelter and the dogs to the soldiers of my unit and invited them to come to the dog walk(s). I even posted about them on our company and battalion facebook pages to hopefully rustle up more support.

Here's a YouTube video of the previous one and a few other vids

previous dog walk

WARNING ABOUT THIS 2ND VID... U MAY JUST BREAK DOWN!!!!

inside the shelter

Laura&Lucky

Awww. I'd take them all if I could. However, I think my husband would leave me if I got any more animals.... I guess 5 dogs, 1 cat, 1 bird, and a fish tank is enough. :)

They all look well taken care of, even in that environment. Poor babies. :(

What would the approximate cost be, if it is possible, to adopt and ship to the U.S.?

You are doing good work, both on the Real Job and at the shelter on your days off. Keep it up. and Thanks.

Thank you for everything you do! Your amazing.

Bless you for taking the time for these little ones! We will see if we can't get some donations rounded up.

PhantomLover007

dsc00110.jpg

dsc00111.jpg

Meet "Red", the little shelter Shid that I took on the dog walk today. He reminded me so much of my boy Ben w/ his attitude and playfulness. He loved attention too and was very friendly. I wish I could have taken him home. He fell asleep in my lap several times and rolled over alot so I could scratch his belly.

oh my! He is just too cute!

Glad you had one that reminded you of yours!

How did the walk go? Hopefully good?

TillyMaeTinkles

As far as mailing donatatable goods for the shelter, I asked what would be best for them (send to the shelter itself or have the stuff mailed to my address) and they said it would be better to mail to my address and they would link up w/ me to get it. Which would be every weekend, because I plan to spend at least 1 day a week there helping out, especially if we get the plans rolling for the Shiddie cage.

Here is my mailing address:

SSG Matthew McReynolds

Unit# 15027

Box 313

APO AP 96218

Is there anything that might have problems "getting through"? I've never mailed anything out of country...wasn't sure if food items or certain things going through military addresses would cause problems. I have some dog clothes that are too small, and a few leashes. I work at a pet store so I can get some treats for them too :D

• 3 weeks later...

That is such a sad sight! That's great that you're going to help them as much as you can. Is there any chance of you adopting one of them?

Edited to add that I have some collars and leashes that I don't use. I'll go through them and see if I can donate some.

Edited by Luvntzus
Sunlite

Matt, can you find out what can not be mailed to you? Any restrictions on weight/size of packages?

If it makes it easier for some, I am willing to accept all donations from whoever wants to contribute, add my own donations, and send it to you in one neat tidy package as shipping out of the USA can be costly.

Let me know, and if anyone wants to take me up on this, PM me for my address.