Family Holiday Faves

My son is as much a slave to family traditions as my departed Mom was. I try to change things up now and again and always end up with a sulking kid (age 31 now) and end up doing "the usual". He doesn't mind if I ADD stuff, but heaven help me if he doesn't get all his childhood favorites for every single holiday. Here are two I made today, dating probably circa 1970-something. Absolutely sinful, but for the holidays I don't "lighten" things much!

Cocktail Meatballs (appx. 24 meatballs)

Mix gently:

1 lb ground round

3 T minced onion

1 egg, beaten lightly

1 t salt

pepper to taste

Mix above into 1" meatballs and fry in a large saute pan until brown on all sides. Drain on paper towels.

In same saute pan, combine:

1 C grape jelly

1 jar Bennet's Chili Sauce (it really isn't as good with another brand, but suit yourself)

1 T lemon juice

Heat until jelly is incorporated. Add meatballs and simmer for 20 minutes, turning occasionally. Reheats easily from refrigerator or you can freeze for up to one month.

I make a double batch every year and even with only 7-8 people and platters of other offerings, the damn things are usually gone withing 20 minutes. My son, his FIL and my DH will hover over the fondue pot I keep them warm in and fight over the last one.

Sausage Toasties

In a large saute pan, combine:

1 lb ground chuck

1 lg pork sausage

Brown, breaking lumps up to bits. Drain.

In a large microwave-safe bowl:

Melt 1 lb. Velveeta cheese (I'm serious)

Mix meat with cheese and add (I'm estimating...I never measure the seasonings):

1 t salt

1/4 t pepper

1 t onion powder

1/2 t garlic powder

1 T oregano

Mix thoroughly, taste, and adjust seasonings to preference.

Lay slices of 1 loaf mini rye bread on baking sheet. Place approximately 1 T meat mixture on each slice and spread to edges. Bake at 372 for 15 minutes or until topping begins to brown.

Last year the DH and I thought that some chopped sun-dried tomates (in oil) would be great in these so I put about 3 T in. Will probably get yelled-at, but we'll see.

Buon Apetit!

• Like 1
mr.coffee

Yeah, I demand the usuals every year as well. What, no cranberries??? GO TO THE STORE! We MUST have them! Lol...

The meatballs sound tasty...I may have to use them as leverage to get Shannon to sign in for a change.

-m

I probably should have mentioned that these are hors d'oeuvres. Our family Christmas Eve party was nothing but cocktails and hot/cold munchies. These recipes were two of probably 15 offerings on the table!

oOShih Tzu LoveOo

I probably should have mentioned that these are hors d'oeuvres. Our family Christmas Eve party was nothing but cocktails and hot/cold munchies. These recipes were two of probably 15 offerings on the table!

I usually bring the appetizers so it will work out great! :)

Laurence Pack

........growing up in an Italian family --we ALWAYS have Mostacciol for Christmas dinner with meatballs etc. my grandfather insisted :) Still a tradition today....

My best friend of 40+ years is Sicilian and they do the feast of fishes for Christmas...every kind of fish and seafood you can imagine! Since I'm not fond of fish and am allergic to crustaceans I always skip, much to my DH's dismay lol. I keep telling him he's welcome to go without me but so far he never has.

Sunlite

Funny you mention the Feast, Pam as I grew up both Italian and Polish, and both do that for Christmas Eve dinner.

Me, although I love most seafood dishes, will only have 1 type Christmas Eve night, and Prime Rib for Christmas dinner....It's my tradition! ;)

Merry Christmas all! :Santa_Wave:

missy dawn

me and my mama does ALL the cooking!we will be making

turkey,dressing, gravy,potato salad,cranberry sauce,deviled eggs,ham,rice,string beans,rolls,oven baked mac and cheese,homemade sweet potato souffle, and last but not least

my homemade red velvet cake

my homemade 6 layer chocolate cake

my homemade cherry cream cheese pie

my homemade pecan pie

I told my daughters when I turn 60,i was going to take all my secret recipes and hand them down to them,that really meant something to them.