Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fully grown at what age?

4 posts in this topic

Posted

I've been really curious to see how big Brody will be as an adult! What age do Shih Tzu typically stop growing?

Posted

Most have pretty much got adult size around 8 months, although a few will fool you and keep growing a bit longer. How big were mom and dad, and how old is Mr. Brody now...and what does he weigh?

Posted

Mine stopped growing at 8 months. He's been the same (big) size ever since.

Posted

Different "lines" mature at different rates, and this is true of most breeds. An outcross litter (no relationship between sire and dam for at least 6 generations) is impossible to predict in any way.

Even a Breeder who has bred for decades and knows the dogs (and their ancestors!) s/he has been working with can never really predict adult size in more than a general way. I can say that I prefer my dogs in the 11-12 pound range for show and breeding, but our most recent litter was sired by a dog that is a good 16 pounds (and an AMAZING dog, btw) and what I am seeing in the litter at 14 weeks is two that I expect to mature around 13-15 pounds and 3 that will run more in the 11-12 pound range. Doesn't seem like a huge difference, but there is a BIG difference between 9 pounds and 16 pounds. Even the people who breed the so-called "Tiny Toy, Imperial, Princess etc) Shih Tzu can't really predict adult weight. Sometimes the smallest in a litter turns out to be the largest adult, and vice-versa.

I can say this because I've seen it happen so many times, and although I breed rarely it has certainly happened to me, lol.