Soups On the Stove

Sophie's Haven

Sophie's Haven

We are in for some COLD weather the next few days......so I put a pot of soup on the stove today and thought I would share.....it is yummy!!!

Zuppa Toxcana Soup

4 slices of cooked bacon, cut into small pieces

1 pound of sweet Italian sausage, ground or link with casings removed

1 large onion, diced

4 cloves garlic, minced

4 Cups of chicken broth or stock

3 cups cubed red potatoes

1/2 Cup shredded carrots

1 can (15.8 ounce) Northern White Beans, rinsed

sea salt and fresh black pepper to taste

2 loose packed cups of Kale, in bite size pieces

1 Cup of heavy cream

Parmesan cheese, grated for serving

Add some olive oil to lg. sauce pan, add the sausage and break apart as it cooks, add onions and garlic and cook until onions are translucent. Stir in broth, potatoes, carrots, white beans. Season with 3/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Simmer for about 20 minutes until potatoes are tender.Add kale and heavy cream. Bring to a simmer for another 20 minutes.......Taste and re-season as needed. Serve with Parmesan cheese.

Great soup for cold days. We are looking for a low of 6 degrees for Thursday morning and that is COLD for us. Burrrrrrrrrr......

• Like 6
PipsMom

Sounds yummy,

Being a southern girl I'd have a slice of hot cornbread with it....mmmmm...I'll be there for supper lol

• Like 5
Sophie's Haven

I will leave the porch lite on.......you need to bring the cornbread......sweet or unsweet?

• Like 5
Summerangel

Mmmmm now that does sound yummy!!! Set another place at the table, I'll be round for supper with Crystal ;)

• Like 6
PipsMom

Sweet tea of course....and I'll bring the blueberry cobbler, Julia can bring the vanilla ice cream

Ooohhh what a meal that would be

• Like 5
missy dawn

Sweet tea of course....and I'll bring the blueberry cobbler, Julia can bring the vanilla ice cream

Ummm blueberry cobbler!

Sheila-shih tzu dreamer

• Like 3
Summerangel

Yes, what a meal that would be :)

• Like 2
Sophie's Haven

Okay another soup bowl is set........the more the merrier.......I must say I just tasted the soup and it is wonderful. Blueberry cobbler sounds yummy with vanilla ice cream......I can smell it baking in the oven. Crystal I was asking if you make sweet cornbread or unsweet cornbread......I have had both and love the sweet cornbread. We have a resturant here that makes fried white cornbread cakes and they are tasty. I am not a born and raised Southern girl but one thing that I do like is fried apples......my friends from the north would always take a case of Lucky's fried apples back home with them.

• Like 3
Marlene

How about if I bring some ice cold beer?

Is that a portuguese soup?

Sounds like the one I always order at a portuguese place we stop at on the way to Oregon.

• Like 4
PipsMom

Okay another soup bowl is set........the more the merrier.......I must say I just tasted the soup and it is wonderful. Blueberry cobbler sounds yummy with vanilla ice cream......I can smell it baking in the oven. Crystal I was asking if you make sweet cornbread or unsweet cornbread......I have had both and love the sweet cornbread. We have a resturant here that makes fried white cornbread cakes and they are tasty. I am not a born and raised Southern girl but one thing that I do like is fried apples......my friends from the north would always take a case of Lucky's fried apples back home with them.

Oooo...forgot that. I like plain corn bread, never developed a taste for the sweet...but my youngest eate nothing but sweet.

Have you ever added fried cracklings from a bag to the mix and bake it? My X mother in law use to do that with the sweet...it's so tasty...The hard cracklings soften.....I like that..

Edited by PipsMom
  • Like 3
Shihtzuluv

u make us hungry...thank you for sharing,,,now i go cook, :P:D

• Like 4
Sophie's Haven

Oooo...forgot that. I like plain corn bread, never developed a taste for the sweet...but my youngest eate nothing but sweet.

Have you ever added fried cracklings from a bag to the mix and bake it? My X mother in law use to do that with the sweet...it's so tasty...The hard cracklings soften.....I like that..

I was telling the hubby about all the threads regarding the soup and who was bringing what for dinner. His comment was everything sounds great but forget the cornbread. I don't make it anymore, but I love the sweet drizzled with the honey.

How about if I bring some ice cold beer?

Is that a portuguese soup?

Sounds like the one I always order at a portuguese place we stop at on the way to Oregon.

This is a remake of the Olive Garden Zuppa Toxcana soup but I have changed hot italian sausage to sweet italian sausage, I use a different type of potato and I have added carrots and northern white beans to the receipe. Ice cold beer would be great also.......

• Like 3
PipsMom

I was telling the hubby about all the threads regarding the soup and who was bringing what for dinner. His comment was everything sounds great but forget the cornbread. I don't make it anymore, but I love the sweet drizzled with the honey.

You tell him he don't know what he's missing.

Sooo good it'll make your tongue beat your brains out......Now that is a real southern saying for those who don't know lol

• Like 3

You guys sure are making me hungry! :)

Owwww, me too! What time is this scheduled for?

Vicki

• Like 3
Missysmom

You tell him he don't know what he's missing.

Sooo good it'll make your tongue beat your brains out......Now that is a real southern saying for those who don't know lol

OMG Crystal you've got us laughing soooo hard with that one! Best laugh I've had in a long time, thanks!! :)

• Like 3

Nothing like a pot of homemade soup in cold weather! This is one of my faves, but since I despise kale I substitute chard. :)

• Like 2
PipsMom

Sniffing around the refrigerator! Surely there's some left....

Time to put on another pot full....Seems we all came to supper last night.

• Like 4

I'm STUFFED! Got any left-overs?

Vicki

• Like 3
Sophie's Haven

Woke up this morning to 6 degrees....Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Have enough soup for leftovers for tonight. I will be thinking of you all when we sit down tonight to that delecious bowl of soup. And Shelia even though there are potatoes in the receipe I use the red potatoe which is lower in carbs than any other potatoe so the carb count is low. Like Pam if you do not like Kale you can use Chard or spinach. I have been using store bought Kale, but my Kale in the garden is ready to use and WOW what a differance in flavor. Will be growing it from now on.

• Like 3
missy dawn

Woke up this morning to 6 degrees....Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Have enough soup for leftovers for tonight. I will be thinking of you all when we sit down tonight to that delecious bowl of soup. And Shelia even though there are potatoes in the receipe I use the red potatoe which is lower in carbs than any other potatoe so the carb count is low. Like Pam if you do not like Kale you can use Chard or spinach. I have been using store bought Kale, but my Kale in the garden is ready to use and WOW what a differance in flavor. Will be growing it from now on.

now Jeannine you know me very well with that vegetable thing,you know I dont eat a kale,chard or spinach :hysterical:

sheila-shih tzu dreamer

• Like 3
Sophie's Haven

How about Cabbage?

• Like 1
missy dawn

How about Cabbage?

cant handle it since gall bladder surgery. :zipped::nonono:

sheila-shih tzu dreamer

• Like 1