Blueberries health benefits for dogs

Missysmom

Blueberries Health Benefits For Dogs
Blueberries
Blueberries are delicious and nutritious, and I am sure many dog parents would love to share this "superfood" with their fur kids, but some people wonder if blueberries are safe for dogs to eat.

The answer is Yes!  And the good news is, they are extremely beneficial to dogs as well.

Nutritional Value of Blueberries

A quick look at the nutritional profile of blueberries will make you understand why this little berry is so impressive:
  • Vitamins: Blueberries are rich in vitamins C, K, folate and choline (part of the vitamin B complex family).  
  • Minerals: Blueberries are a good source of potassium, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus and calcium.
  • Phytonutrients: Colorful fruits and veggies are rich in phytonutrients, and blueberries are no exception.  In particular, blueberries are packed with anthocyanins, flavonols (e.g. quercetin), and resveratrol.
  • Fiber: Blueberries are also rich in fiber.
 How Fido Can Benefit from Blueberries

All dogs can benefit from the powerful antioxidant properties of blueberries, but older dogs in particular should take advantage of the blueberry power for better eye, heart, and cognitive health.
  • Heart Health: Numerous research results have shown that blueberries have direct positive impact on cardiovascular health.  Blueberries strengthen the blood vessels, reduce the risk of inflammation, and protect blood components from oxidation.  For older dogs and those with heart problems, we can use blueberries as one way to strengthen their cardiovascular health.
  • Cognitive Benefits: Blueberries are rich in resveratrol and choline, two substances known for having antioxidant properties that protect nerve cells from oxidative stress.  Thus, feeding blueberries to older dogs may help improve their cognitive functions, and may slow down the onset or progression of canine cognitive dysfunction.
  • Eye Health: The phytonutrients (e.g. anthocyanins) in blueberries have antioxidant properties that are good for the eyes - they protect the retina from oxidation. 
  • Anti-Cancer: Ongoing research has generated some promising results showing that the antioxidant functions of blueberries may have anti-cancerous properties. 

Feeding Blueberries to Fido

To preserve all the goodies (vitamins, phytonutrients, etc.) in the blueberries, the best way to eat blueberries is to eat them fresh.

Add fresh blueberries to some yogurt and give it to your dog as a healthy treat.  In the summer, use frozen blueberries to make yogurt pupsicles.  (Recent research has shown that freezing blueberries will not damage their anthocyanin antioxidants. )

You can also add some fresh blueberries to cooked, cooled oatmeal for your dog.  Oatmeal is rich in fiber, minerals, as well as folate and choline.  It is a nutritious food for dogs who may have digestive issues.  Oatmeal can also give older dogs cognitive function support, so if you add blueberries to oatmeal, your dog can get a "double punch" of goodies from this healthy snack.

Precaution

Blueberries are rather high in oxalates, so if your dog has or is prone to calcium oxalate stones, it is better not to give blueberries to your dog.

Also, try to get organic blueberries to avoid pesticide residues on the berries.  It has been found by the Environmental Working Group that blueberries grown in the USA are among some of the foods on which pesticide residues have been most frequently found.

• Like 5
Sophie's Haven

Blueberries are vey healthful for our paws........as a matter of fact when I run out of my cranberry powder that I use for prevention of UTI I will be getting the blueberry powder........which has been found to be better the cranberry powder. Thankfully my guys like blueberries. Great information Vicki.......thanks for sharing with everyone.

• Like 1
Marlene

I sometimes make a "meatloaf" for the dogs that includes buffalo and blueberries - I use dried.  Good to know how healthy they are for all.

• Like 2
baby

Blue berrys are my furrkids favorite, they akways have them for dessert....

• Like 1
Missysmom

I've been giving them to Missy for a few weeks now and she Loves them! So I was real happy to see this in my newsletter today! :)

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
babybluegirl

I'll have to look into these, Riley loves raspberries.

babybluegirl 

7:14pm

• Like 2
PipsMom

Anyone heard from Baby? Last time he was on was July....not responding to PM or emails. He always had the best grooming tips  too. Miss the old bugger

• Like 2
Summerangel

Anyone heard from Baby? Last time he was on was July....not responding to PM or emails. He always had the best grooming tips  too. Miss the old bugger

The old bugger... That quote made me laugh... 

If he reads your message, he'll be replying soon... :roflmao:

seriously though... We miss you baby... :cheezy:

• Like 2
beebalm

I also miss hearing from my awesome :beerchug: Uncle Baby who was always so nice to me and his gorgeous :throb: Tzu's which are my cousins who my Mom and I also miss  :bye1:

Edited by beebalm
  • Like 2
PipsMom

i just PMd him too.. i Sure hope he comes back soon:dunno:

The PM I sent him over a month ago has never been read. I'm praying nothing's wrong, very usual.

I know his sister set up the account and had hoped she would pick it up and respond...but nothing.

Edited by PipsMom
  • Like 1