Coprophagia - Poop eating- Common with Shih Tzus?

Hi All,

I've read somewhere that Shih Tzus are a very common breed that indulge in Coprophagia.I have 2 shih tzus , both males, just over 1 years old and I've had problems with my two on and off since they were pups.

Has anyone else had this problem with your tzus, and if so, what methods have you tried and have any successfully worked?

Thanks in advanced.

Amy

• Like 3
PipsMom

Our groomer and breeder on here states it more common to eat poop than those that don't...I have one that does ( female)..... One doesn't ( male). 

Its the breed and not much you can do....being constantly at home helps curb the habit once they know you don't like it but given a chance you still have a sneaky, hiding,..... Mommie doesn't see me eater...I've learned to accept it and carry on.

And :welcomeani: Amy to our Shih Tzu family. Post pictures of Coco and Max...we love pictures here

• Like 3
Sophie's Haven

:roflmao:Another two members to the Poop Eaters Club..........I have 7........1 male and 6 females........my male and 1 female are NOT members of the CLUB but the rest are. Keeping tabs on them and telling them BAD when you catch them......helps........I have tried all the store bought and home remedies with no success.  Lexie one day came walking down the hall and she saw me towards her, she took on look at me and opened her mouth to drop her treasure......I had no idea what she was up too. So they know they are doing BAD and that it does not make you happy. Good luck.....don't stress out..........if you can stay on top of it, it does get better with time. Plus Tzu's are not the only breed that does this I have a female Border Collie that does it.............

• Like 3
Sunlite

Max has been now named Captain Shit Beard as he LOVES!!!! his poop!
He's in company with Emma who is 13 1/2 and would rather eat poop than food...

:ranting:

• Like 7
Amy0515
10 minutes ago, Sunlite said:

:hysterical:  

• Like 2

I'm so glad I didn't know this was a shih tzu thing before we brought Toby home because it might have steered me away from the breed (having never owned a shih tzu before). Lucky for us we have our Toby, and the first day I caught him turning around to check it out after going to the bathroom. We yelled no and picked him up before it was too late, and honestly since then he doesn't even turn around the check it out anymore! Maybe it's because we are outside with him, but regardless, it's working! Good luck.

• Like 4
Crinkly

I heard a theory once - no idea if there is any truth in it - that poop eating is more common with dogs that are given highly flavoured dog food.  Because it comes out still smelling of all the chemical meaty flavours they put in it.

The theory goes that dogs that get food that fully digests and comes out smelling of sh1t, don't re-eat the poop.

Is this is backed by anyone's experience?

my two have never been given processed food, so i couldn't say (but they don't eat poop, either...

• Like 3
Sunlite
33 minutes ago, laketzu said:

I'm so glad I didn't know this was a shih tzu thing before we brought Toby home because it might have steered me away from the breed (having never owned a shih tzu before). Lucky for us we have our Toby, and the first day I caught him turning around to check it out after going to the bathroom. We yelled no and picked him up before it was too late, and honestly since then he doesn't even turn around the check it out anymore! Maybe it's because we are outside with him, but regardless, it's working! Good luck.

I don't think it's so much a Tzu behavior vs a dog behavior in general. I have had other breeds who have done this. Some grow out of it and some do it their entire life. There are a thousand theory's out there as to why they do this and I don't know why but I do know that picking it up asap is the only true way to stop it.  

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/pets/dog-behavior/why-do-dogs-eat-poop

• Like 5
Pawz4me
44 minutes ago, Crinkly said:

I heard a theory once - no idea if there is any truth in it - that poop eating is more common with dogs that are given highly flavoured dog food.  Because it comes out still smelling of all the chemical meaty flavours they put in it.

The theory goes that dogs that get food that fully digests and comes out smelling of sh1t, don't re-eat the poop.

Is this is backed by anyone's experience?

my two have never been given processed food, so i couldn't say (but they don't eat poop, either...

I kind of doubt that theory.  I've known too many dogs who did it, and they spanned the spectrum of feeding styles -- shelter dogs who I'm guessing were fed low quality food to dogs on premium pet foods, raw or home-cooked.

Thankfully it's a habit Yogi doesn't seem the least bit interested in.  I've dealt with it before in other dogs (not Shih Tzus) and it's sure not fun.  The only "remedy" I've ever found is constant vigilance in being right there to pick it up.

• Like 5
Summerangel

My female does this, my male doesn't .....

I know when they like to go poo poo, so I don't take my beady eyes off her... Then I pick it up straight away. If for some reason I miss her... Uh, oh!! Naughty Lacey... 

• Like 5

I know more Shih Tzu that eat poop than Shih Tzu that don't...and I know a LOT of Shih Tzu lol.  Some of mine do, some don't.  I try to discourage it but I actually have one who will wait at the "chute" for a "fresh delivery" and nothing deters her.  She gets really annoyed when I wean her puppies because she's been getting all those "fun size" snacks for 8 weeks...

• Like 4
Scout's Mom

I also have to be right there to scoop it up when my dog is done or I can forget about it!  That is the only thing that works for me. Ugh.

• Like 3
ParadiseTzu

My female does if you dont stay close to her as she potties. My male has to sniff some so he knows he is in the right place but he does not eat it. So the quality food theory doesnt hold. I also have a border collie mix male that does not and they all eat Wellness brand food.

My theory was that it was only the female tzu that ate their poo but you guys have convinced me that's not so. I thought maybe it went with their natural instinct to clean their babies poo. I had 2 tzu back in the 90's, 1 male, 1 female and she ate both of theirs, he never tried, so that's where that theory came from.

• Like 3
missy dawn
20 hours ago, Sunlite said:

like brother like sister!:judy:

• Like 4

Ahh, nice to know i'm not the only one struggling with this then.

I've tried shop bought tablets, pineapple in their food. I also buy ACANA kibble for them, which i've heard is a highly rated brand so it wouldn't be due to a nutrient deficiency. i've also tried home cooking their food. Nothing seems to have stopped the behaviour completely.

Only thing I can do is monitor them when they go out for their business but luckily they're quite good with their routine and tend to poo on schedule! As long as I'm monitoring them; they won't go near it. I've left them to their own devices before and watched from the window and they're both very interested in it when they think i'm not watching. Unfortunately this means standing out in the cold and waiting.

I always reward them for doing their business and coming back into the house straight away, so they tend to leave it as soon as they've been. Its only if they are left to play in the garden unsupervised. I've also found that because I have two of them; as soon as one goes for the poop, it suddenly increases value to the other dog who then runs over to see what treat hes found! Self reinforcing behaviour between the two of them has been a nightmare!

Have to say though, their interest in it has lessened a lot since they've grown up, just the odd suspicion of a sneaky snack every now and again.

• Like 3
Missysmom

Reading these always makes me sooo thankful that Missy doesn't do this, and she has had puppies, can't imagine what she did then (it was before we got her)!

She's sooo funny when she poos, I always go out with her and she gets treats as soon as she goes. But then she always looks back at it, then back at me with this awful face like 'that's yucky poo poo, Mom do Something, make it go away'!! Cracks me up!

• Like 4
missy dawn
5 hours ago, Missysmom said:

Reading these always makes me sooo thankful that Missy doesn't do this, and she has had puppies, can't imagine what she did then (it was before we got her)!

She's sooo funny when she poos, I always go out with her and she gets treats as soon as she goes. But then she always looks back at it, then back at me with this awful face like 'that's yucky poo poo, Mom do Something, make it go away'!! Cracks me up!

Out of my 5,Minnie is the only one that has NEVER done it.I hate that they do this,it is rather disgusting!

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Hi All,

Just popped home for lunch to check on the dogs and found several smidgen stains on one of their beddings by the back door and no poo ! :( The dogs have been so good for so long now and I was finally thinking they'd broke the habit.  I'm guessing change over the Christmas period of me being at home has really messed up their schedule as they can't even seem  to hold their wee for longer than 3 hours now!

So frustrated at them, and I know it's not really their fault but its so disheartening. :(:(

• Like 3
PipsMom

Oh dear.....I've found out the same thing ....just when I think I've broken the habit I find evidence of the missing poo and tale tale breath...but I keep hoping.

• Like 3