New shih tzu owner

Hi everyone, I am getting my first shih tzu ever and am so excited. I need a few pointers. My wife and I both work midnights but are off on different days so 4 days a week one of us will always be off. The dogs name is Ted, and we get him March 3rd. He will be 8 weeks old when we get him. Now crate training, I'm thinking we put him in the crate from 10:30 pm until 7:00 a.m every night. The crate I'm getting ill put a pee pad and bed in there, it will be a good size crate. If there are any midnight working dog owners please give me some advice. Thanks

• Like 5
PipsMom

Not a midnight worker but just wanted to stop by and say :congrats: and :welcomeani: to our Shih Tzu family.

Others will be along shortly and can advice on crates and training 

• Like 4
Marlene

Hi Teddy :-)  Welcome to this wonderful forum of good advise and experience.

Let me start by saying "I remember those days of "graveyard shift".  My husband is a retired cop and I cringe when I remember those first 19 months when we got married and he was on graveyard shift. I worked days 8-5 Mon-Fri. I came to that marriage with a 3 yr old and I was pregnant soon after.  Even though we were not dealing with a dog/cat at that time.....I well remember how hard graveyard shift was.

It sounds like you are wanting to keep him on a "day shift"  -  being up and around when one of you is home.

Looking back  -  if I had to do what you are doing.....knowing how stressed and exhausting graveyard can be - I recommend you find a neighbor, friend, family who will be available to walk, potty, play, schmooze and be available during the day when you are exhausted from your schedule..

I guess my most pointed piece of advice is.....could you bring a hooman bean newborn into your couples lifestyle?

• Like 6
Missysmom

Welcome, so glad you joined us! And Congratulations on Teddy coming into your lives soon! Never worked midshift so no help here, just wanted to welcome you! Can't wait to see and hear all about him! 

• Like 4
Sophie's Haven

Welcome to chatter.....personally that many hours for a wee pup is a long time being alone and crated. Not something I would do. When I worked I did crate a couple of my guys but no longer than 4 hours and they were over a year at the time.  Hope you find a good solution to your problem.

• Like 5