Narcissa's Mommy

What do those of you with females do to get them to keep their hair ties in?! Within the hour most of the time shorter Narcissa has hers out of her hair! 

• Like 4
Amy0515

Well, I've tried to keep hairbows in Coco's hair but my boy, Benji keeps pulling them out.  I've kind of given up on keeping bows in her hair. :judy: 

• Like 3
Missysmom

I can't keep bows in Missy's hair either, if I'm lucky it stays in long enough for the picture!

• Like 4

It's not "normal" for dogs to have their head hair put-up.  We spend a lot of time grooming puppies' faces from age 6 weeks on, and we put bands in as soon as there is enough hair between the eyes (NOT the hair on top of the nose) to hold a band.  At first this is done daily, then often 2 or 3 times daily as the puppy grows.  For the most part, by the time our puppies go to new homes at 12 weeks of age they have had a little experience with banding and don't mess with it too much.  Some individual dogs will fight banding all their lives, and those dogs will not have long topknots.  Like everything else, it's a training-thing and you will either win or lose.

• Like 7
OzShares

Exactly what Pam said above. We had the breeder start getting Bailey used to grooming. I started banding her as soon as she came home. Now she doesn't even notice the bows or bands and wears them daily. Here is a picture of her very first top knot. :baby:

bailey8958.JPG.6f5aa030cff527a007f71d0c6

• Like 7
missy dawn

Pam had Bristolle Noel already used to wearing bands.she has a topknot,or piggies daily and never messes with it.

• Like 5
PipsMom

When I had Abby in a top knot her hair was forever slipping out....it was short and thin.....

I changed bands to a orthopaedic brand and it stopped it slipping out......maybe try a different hair band  ????

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
ParadiseTzu

Sassy Mae is six and she has only been wearing a top knot for a little over a year. When she first started wearing one, it took about 3 days before she quit rubbing her head on a rug. Hasn't bothered it since.

• Like 2
On 3/22/2016 at 11:06 AM, OzShares said:

I've never tried this method of putting bows in Bailey's hair, but I came across this video:

https://youtu.be/6oSt3b6QU6g

I have tried to do this method for 30 years and it is NOT as easy as Melissa makes it look lol!  I have better luck just doing it with my fingers, but then I'm used to banding.

• Like 2