Another Mile Stone Acheived.....

Sophie's Haven

Sophie's Haven

56f9313bbb287_Sundayouting1049.JPG.fd2a6

Bailey has never like to ride in a car.  Once in he would shake and tremble the whole time we were out and about.  So for 6 years riding in a car was very stressful for him......UNTIL a month ago we got in the car and went to a walking area and even though he shook on the trip over, once he got out of the car his tail was a wagging cause he was going on a walk........we got back in the car to go home and he sat like a champ on my lap looking out the window.......a couple days later we got in the car again to go for our walk.....this time he got in the car on his own with no help and he sat on my lap and looked out the window and never had any issues. Yesterday we took a 2 hour ride in the car and he was PERFECT.....was not nervous, did not shake and the picture above is him looking out the window as we were driving thru town.  I can't help but think in his mind the CAR was a BAD thing and it took him to BAD places that he did not understand.........He was picked up from the side of the road taken to a shelter, from there to a rescue, then I picked him up which was a 6 hour trip for him.....for 2 months he dealt with a lot of stress and strangers who were trying to help him which he surely did not understand  and heaven knows what he dealt with before he was rescued.  He has grown into a sweet little guy and this is just another big step in his life that I wanted to share with you.  If I would have know that all it was to get him in his comfort zone in the car was to take him for a walk I would have done it years ago..........his Dad and I are so proud of him.

• Like 9
Summerangel

I know you are so proud of him... It's amazing how well he's doing. He is so lucky to have you for his Mom and Dad, as you are as lucky to have him in your life... Such a beautiful baby...  It makes me smile when I hear you talk about his achievements. 

Well done Bailey hugs from Auntie Julia, Donte and Lacey X 

• Like 4
Missysmom

Awww Bailey I have tears of joy in my eyes just reading this! I am soooo happy you are making so many big steps in your life lately!

You are a true inspiration to me as my Missy shares some of your fears, you have no idea how much you have helped her, and we can't thank you enough! Based on hearing how well you are doing with the car we are planning a big outing for Missy next month, paws crossed that she'll do as well as you!

Love your pic of you enjoying your car ride, you are one Happy paw and I know mom & dad are soooo proud of you!! Hugs from Missy and me:throb:

• Like 4
Crinkly

Tears in my eyes too!

Soooo proud of you Bailey.  Heroic actions on your part (and lots more walks to enjoy in the future!)

• Like 3
babybluegirl

Ah Bailey, I'm so glad you're enjoying your car trips now :)  Well done you... think of all the exciting places you're going to visit now that you're a star in the car.

babybluegirl

5:40pm

• Like 4
  • 2 months later...
Sophie's Haven

As you well know Bailey has been in our home now for 6 years and he has come along way from his first day here.........but my boy is still building TRUST in adults and in the past few months he has become more and more accepting of my husband. They go for rides on The Bug together without me and Bailey has even taking a liking to sitting on Dad's lap. Our biggest issue is getting our nails clipped.......I was told Bailey had a gash on his front leg when he was found and it was infected.....and I have no idea if that was the reason but he always fought me when I would do anything with his front legs. To avoid stress with him and ME I took him to a groomer to have his nails done......he was not happy but there were 2 groomers that would handle him and it was quick and easy......but this week we made another mile stone..........Bailey let Dad trim his nails.......Dad took 2 days to do it......he started out doing the back paws first and as soon as he saw Bailey getting stressed he decided to do one paw in the morning and the other at night and then the next day he did the same with the front paws.......Bailey did not put up any fuss other than showing signs of stress with his tongue going in and out.....with Dad talking nice to him and soft music in the background (I am so a believer in music for these guys) he was the perfect gentlepaw for his Dad.........Dad had tears in his eyes as he couldn't believe Bailey would finally allow him to do his nails.......It takes along time for these little guys to build TRUST in us humans......this may not sound like much but it was a big day at our house.........

• Like 6
PipsMom

Oh my gracious Bailey, I was welling up just reading about you and your dad. What a milestone...6 years! I know you must be very proud of him Jeannine and especially your husband..Well Done Bailey

• Like 3
Crinkly

Bailey, I hope you are proud of yourself - and your Dad.

Wonderful, wonderful paw.

• Like 3
missy dawn

Little moments like this are treasures when it comes to our babies!

• Like 3
Summerangel

Bailey you are a little gem! 

My eyes were filling up too reading this. Such a magical moment for Dad and son.. Beautiful, just beautiful ?

• Like 2
Missysmom

Yay Bailey, what a good boy! :clap:I know this was huge Jeannie, I too got tears in my eyes reading it. Not only to let you guys clip his nails but to let his dad do it, what an awesome achievement! You have done wonders with Bailey Jeannie, bless you! 

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
Sophie's Haven

Thanks all........... I have to say Bailey has been a long work in progress  but very rewarding...... I think I may have lost my lap buddy.......I have to admit I had a bit of hurt feelings this morning......Bailey who has always been on my lap from day one anytime I sit down took another route this morning and jumped on Dad's lap while we were on the front porch watching the purple martins do their thing. He got himself in position took his paw and pawed his Dad's arm for a back rub and then he settled down for a quick nap.......first time ever!!!!  Dad had tears in his eyes he was so pleased..........a long awaited process......life kind be sweet..........

• Like 5
Summerangel

Awwwwww how lovely for your hubby. We celebrate in his milestone achieved. He's such a sweetie 

• Like 3
ParadiseTzu

Bailey, you are precious! And you have a wonderful home!  Well done to all of you for a good job.

• Like 3
Missysmom

Oh Bailey you are such a sweetheart, I know your daddy was sooo happy! More tears over here reading this one, so so touching. What a blessing you and your hubby have been to this sweet boy. Hugs

• Like 3