Dog Treat Recipes

babybluegirl

Hi there,

I was just on pinterest last night and came across lots of good posts for homemade dog treats.  I'd like to do some for Riley soon (perhaps for his birthday later in April) or when he's eaten all 75 or so of his bone biscuits! lol.  I wondered, if the recipe calls for whole wheat flour, do you think I can continue to use my rice flour instead?  If so, is it like for like, i.e. if 1-1/2 cups of whole wheat flour are needed, can I just use 1-1/2 cups of rice flour instead?

Here's the link by the way, they all look delicious!

babybluegirl

5:07pm

• Like 3
Sophie's Haven

My suggestion is if the recipe calls for 1 cup of wheat flour replace it with 1/2 cup of  rice flour.......if it looks like the batter needs more then do so. The volume of the rice flour, coconut flour and almond flour  is different then whole wheat or all purpose flour. Pinterest has some good selections of treats for paws.....I follow the sites all the time.

• Like 4
babybluegirl
2 minutes ago, Sophie's Haven said:

My suggestion is if the recipe calls for 1 cup of wheat flour replace it with 1/2 cup of  rice flour.......if it looks like the batter needs more then do so. The volume of the rice flour, coconut flour and almond flour  is different then whole wheat or all purpose flour. Pinterest has some good selections of treats for paws.....I follow the sites all the time.

Thanks for your reply, I will give that a try :)

babybluegirl

6:32pm

• Like 4
Amy0515

I love Pinterest for this reason.  You can find just about anything on there.  Thank you for the link.

• Like 2
babybluegirl

Okay, so this morning I've done a little baking for Riley :) As I needed to buy some of the ingredients for Riley's dog treats, I decided I might as well buy the whole wheat flour that was on the list of ingredients whilst I was there :) Riley now has 64 new treats...

Just out of interest, what's the difference between whole wheat flour and the rice flour that I already have?  Was this suggested/in another recipe because someones paws were allergic to whole wheat flour?  (I can't remember now which recipe I followed for the reason of buying rice flour in the first place).

Thanks for reading.

babybluegirl

5:57pm

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
babybluegirl

Feel like baking today... watch this space :)

babybluegirl

12:26pm

• Like 3
PipsMom

Baking today too!  Oatmeal, banana & applesauce muffins...can't wait to see what you bake

• Like 4
babybluegirl
On 28/07/2016 at 0:32 PM, PipsMom said:

Baking today too!  Oatmeal, banana & applesauce muffins...can't wait to see what you bake

Riley has 70+ cookies now. Have bagged lots up for the freezer and will get one out as and when it's needed :)

DSC_0926.JPG

babybluegirl 

9:14pm 

• Like 7
PipsMom

Your a great mom to Riley and being able to freeze is great! Well Done Alex :clap:

• Like 5
ShihTzusAreCute
On 7/28/2016 at 2:32 PM, PipsMom said:

Any chance you could share the recipe? I am so sorry if you already shared it! I really think Lexie would enjoy this particualr treat since apples and bannanas are her favourite fruits.

• Like 4
PipsMom

This is the recipe I used with my own adjustments 

Oatmeal Muffins

Ingredients
* 2 mashed over ripe bananas (about 3/4 cup) I 
* 2 tablespoons canola oil, (I used vegetable oil instead )
* 1 egg 
* 1/2 cup fat-free milk ( I used no fat soy milk)
* 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract 
* 2/3 cup white whole-wheat flour
* 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats 
* 1/4 cup sugar 
* 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder 
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
* 1/4 teaspoon salt ( I omitted salt altogether)

3 teaspoon full chunky applesauce ( my addition and also throwed in a few blueberrys) 
* Cooking spray ( I used paper muffin cups) no spray 
Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 375ºF.  Or (180c)
2. Combine bananas and next 4 ingredients (through vanilla) in a medium bowl; mix well, and set aside.
3. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup and level with a knife. Whisk together flour and next 5 ingredients (through salt) in a small bowl.
4. Stir the flour mixture into the banana mixture until they are just combined.
5. Spray 9 muffin cups with cooking spray (or use paper liners), and  into each cup (cups will be full)..., (mine made 11 because they made small cupcakes)
6. Bake 16 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.

Let cool

• Like 5
Missysmom

Thanks so much for that recipe Crystal, those muffins sound great! Will have to try them when it cools down and I can get back to cooking, it's been Waay to hot to cook! ;) 

Your treats look yummy too Alex, what kind are they?

• Like 2
PipsMom

Good thing is it's a human recipe but the dogs just adore them also. We all are happy with this one ...a keeper. 

Baked my first butternut squash French Fries...they love them too. Seems everything on my new diet they adore..Opened a can of Pinto Beans and rinsed them well...They love those too! Good grief guys they got me eating less without trying because they begging for my Health Food :roflmao:

• Like 3
babybluegirl
9 hours ago, Missysmom said:

Thanks so much for that recipe Crystal, those muffins sound great! Will have to try them when it cools down and I can get back to cooking, it's been Waay to hot to cook! ;) 

Your treats look yummy too Alex, what kind are they?

http://homemadedogtreatsnow.com/strawberry/

Thanks Missysmom for your comment.  I made the same as the ones I made and posted on 2 April :) I just substituted the strawberries (didn't have any) and used raspberries, blackberries and bananas instead :)

Riley loves them!

babybluegirl

10:21pm

22 hours ago, PipsMom said:

This is the recipe I used with my own adjustments 

Oatmeal Muffins

Ingredients
* 2 mashed over ripe bananas (about 3/4 cup) I 
* 2 tablespoons canola oil, (I used vegetable oil instead )
* 1 egg 
* 1/2 cup fat-free milk ( I used no fat soy milk)
* 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract 
* 2/3 cup white whole-wheat flour
* 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats 
* 1/4 cup sugar 
* 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder 
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
* 1/4 teaspoon salt ( I omitted salt altogether)

3 teaspoon full chunky applesauce ( my addition and also throwed in a few blueberrys) 
* Cooking spray ( I used paper muffin cups) no spray 
Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 375ºF.  Or (180c)
2. Combine bananas and next 4 ingredients (through vanilla) in a medium bowl; mix well, and set aside.
3. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup and level with a knife. Whisk together flour and next 5 ingredients (through salt) in a small bowl.
4. Stir the flour mixture into the banana mixture until they are just combined.
5. Spray 9 muffin cups with cooking spray (or use paper liners), and  into each cup (cups will be full)..., (mine made 11 because they made small cupcakes)
6. Bake 16 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.

Let cool

Do you have a picture of how they turned out? 

babybluegirl

10:22pm

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Missysmom

Thanks Alex I forgot all about those, mmm they look good, I gotta try those!

I'm sooo happy for you Crystal! I bet the pups do love everything, Missy Loves beans - I just have to watch how much I give her! ;) told hubby bout the butternut squash fries and even he was excited!! On my grocery list now! :D

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
babybluegirl

Been baking last night :)  So Riley has x72 new treats now.  We used the same recipe as before, but not sure if we should.  We're in the middle of eliminating what Riley can eat and we're thinking he's got a yeast infection, so we're trying to cut out of all sugars to see if that helps him :( Not sure if anyone has any great tried and tested dog biscuit/cookie recipes that specifically don't use bananas, peanut butter, honey, strawberries, carrots, sweet potato and chicken in, basically anything with sugar in? lol. 

Looking forward to any replies, advice...

babybluegirl

4:09pm

• Like 2
Missysmom

Whew it’s hard when you’re doing the elimination diet isn’t it? We’re doing that with Missy now and so no baking here, right now All she can have is fish... found some great salmon treats that she loves though! Good luck finding what Riley can have.

• Like 2
Marlene

I second that idea - use whatever protein she is now eating........fish, lamb, beef, poultry and make or buy a dried version.  Treats don't have to be "cookies".

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...
babybluegirl
On 06/12/2017 at 6:32 PM, Marlene said:

I second that idea - use whatever protein she is now eating........fish, lamb, beef, poultry and make or buy a dried version.  Treats don't have to be "cookies".

Thank you Marlene, that's so true!  We used to do chicken jerky in the oven, but seeing as we're eliminating foods, we're avoiding chicken too, so I might have to look into other proteins we can cook/dry as an alternative to cookies :)

babybluegirl

9:19pm

• Like 1