Unexpected Visitor.........

Sophie's Haven

Sophie's Haven

A Yorkie showed up at our house last night.........I call him Little Man....but I am as dumb as dirt when it comes to Yorkies  any advice would be appreciated. He had to have a bath......put up no fuss at all. Put him a crate and he was fine.....ate some chicken and scrambled egg I made sure he was comfortable left the radio playing classical music and turned out the light.......and he fussed for about 30 minutes and we did not hear from him the rest of the night. He is so tiny.........and was sitting in the crate waiting for us this morning.......he went out to potty but had pooped in crate which was dry as dirt.......more chicken and egg this morning w/ olive oil.......Bill is going around this morning to the neighbors to see if anyone lost a dog. He does not bark but has a short muffled growl..........my guys don't know what to make of him........right now he is in his crate in the spare room.

• Like 7
PipsMom

Poor little mite, good thing he found your house and got the care and food he needed so badly. Hope Bill finds his home today so he is reunited with his family. How about a picture to tease us with? 

• Like 3
missy dawn

They are gorgeous and sweet!!!! If no one claims him are you going to make him part of your family? He's a lucky baby if you do.how old does he look? Ok, come on Jeannine , a picture please!

• Like 4
Missysmom

Oooh yorkies are sooo sweet, yes a pic please!!! So glad he found you and got some good food and a good and safe nights rest! Unfortunately no yorkie experience here, other than ooh and ahhh looking at them! ;) 

• Like 4
Sophie's Haven

This story ends with a Happy Ending..........thru Bill going from one house to another and one lady making a phone call we found the owner.........the one house 2 houses away from us........Bill did not check......So Little Man found his Dad.....Dad was in tears he was so excited as he thought the worse. How he made it to our house as little as he is really amazes me........there is over 16 acres that he had to travel........but he is back home and that is the main thing........he is 12 years old and his Dad has had him from a pup.........he said he was out searching for him last night with a flash lite and thought he was lost forever.........I thought he was a drop off.....no collar or tags..........which I scolded the owner about and also told him about his dried poo that he need oil in his diet.........

I have to say this was a learning experience for me.......calling rescues and the human society......IT IS ALL ABOUT THE DOG....my foot.  I am in such a state right now that I can't even talk about this without cussing.........If I was younger I would set up my OWN RESCUE and it sure would not operate like the one's I dealt with this morning..........ALL ABOUT THE DOG MY ARSE..........

Bill and I are both relieved that Little Man is back home...........(hopefully Dad keeps a better eye on him) 

• Like 9
PipsMom

What a lovely happy ending. Glad he's reunited with his dad 

• Like 4
minabey

Yay! It's a miracle he found your house. That's such a long way from home for a little dog, and 12 years old! Wow, so glad you found his family. 

• Like 5
missy dawn

glad he is reunited but if i know you,you would of kept him if you couldnt of found the owners

• Like 5
Marlene

Thank you for being there for him - he found the perfect spot where people care and did the right thing.  You DID rescue him!  LOL.

• Like 6
Crinkly

Bless you!

Thank goodness he found you before something bigger found him!

The little I know about Yorkies is that when they have their feet under the table they can be a bit Prima Donnaish.  lol.  and they YAP.  And YAP.  And YAP!!!

But so glad he is now home with his Dad!

• Like 3
Summerangel

Awwwww so glad you tracked down his Dad.. 

And yes Jo, my thoughts too ?

• Like 4
Missysmom

Such a great ending so relieved he found you and didn't have to try to survive out all night alone, I'm sure his dad was very thankful too!

• Like 3
Sophie's Haven

What a good feeling to end the day yesterday knowing that Little Man (Butch is his real name) is home sleeping in his own bed with his Dad. We will be on the look out from here on just in case he decides to take the trip South again.

After yesterday making phone calls to Rescues (4) and the Human Society (2) and a known lady that takes in Yorkie's  we received 2 calls back......one from the lady and one rescue that was full.......that rescue gave us names of other rescues but had no phone numbers of said places....plus even if that rescue had room it would not take Little Man because we were out of county.........our Human Society is only open from 1:30 to 5 pm Mon. thru Friday...the only reason why I called was to ask if someone had called about a lost Yorkie....as it is a kill shelter........but no one to talk too.  Not that we minded making all these inquiries as for us it is all about the dog but I can understand why people just drop dogs off.....it was frustrating for me .........again I am so glad that Little Man is back home......if we did not find his home my only solution was  if he did not make the adjustment here not so much him but the others then I would have made the trip to Ga. to check out the Yorkie Lady........

9 minutes ago, Missysmom said:

Such a great ending so relieved he found you and didn't have to try to survive out all night alone, I'm sure his dad was very thankful too!

Nothing better than a Happy Ending especially when it comes to these little guys.......he didn't weigh more than 5 pounds.......his Dad puts him on the front porch and he roams around the front yard (close to the road) granted this is the first time he has wondered away and I guess  I am over protective of my guys and we live a distance from the road but mine are never allowed to go past a certain part of the yard regardless and they are supervised at all times when we are outside.......Little Man's Dad was mowing grass.....the dog was let out on the front porch.....no gate.....and Dad was in the back of his 5 acres mowing......and Little Man decided to take a trip South......I hope this was a wake up call for Dad..........

• Like 4
Crinkly

At 12 years old, there may be a developing concern for confusion and disorientation, too.  Especially if he went looking for Dad, but Dad was using a loud stinky mower...

I know our cat Toed was showing clear signs of early onset senility/Alzheimers/whatever at that age.  The only thing that enabled him to live a normal life were his little OCD regular as clockwork behaviour patterns.  He used a specific approach vector to chairs and the catflap, and if something broke his focus (phone ringing, someone walking past the window, a bang outside the house) then he would stall, blink passively, and then have to re-start his approach from the very beginning.  If something had affected him when in unfamiliar territory, then he would have been totally befuddled.

I should have filmed him.  We have incredibly fond memories of him circling the kitchen, the breakfast bar stools and rounding the corner of the fridge, all with military precision, only to have to start all over again when Sidney came in through the catflap and broke his approach vector.

• Like 4
Marlene
1 hour ago, Crinkly said:

At 12 years old, there may be a developing concern for confusion and disorientation, too.  Especially if he went looking for Dad, but Dad was using a loud stinky mower...

I know our cat Toed was showing clear signs of early onset senility/Alzheimers/whatever at that age.  The only thing that enabled him to live a normal life were his little OCD regular as clockwork behaviour patterns.  He used a specific approach vector to chairs and the catflap, and if something broke his focus (phone ringing, someone walking past the window, a bang outside the house) then he would stall, blink passively, and then have to re-start his approach from the very beginning.  If something had affected him when in unfamiliar territory, then he would have been totally befuddled.

I should have filmed him.  We have incredibly fond memories of him circling the kitchen, the breakfast bar stools and rounding the corner of the fridge, all with military precision, only to have to start all over again when Sidney came in through the catflap and broke his approach vector.

Sounds like my husband.......he drives me crazy with his habits since he retired.  You could set a clock by his routines.  No, he's not senile, just likes his rut.....and he doesn't like it when things need to be different.  I try to roll with it but sometimes I feel like I'm going to scream!  My bad :crazyeyes:

• Like 5

I do love a happy ending.  :)

• Like 5
Sophie's Haven
1 hour ago, Crinkly said:

At 12 years old, there may be a developing concern for confusion and disorientation, too.  Especially if he went looking for Dad, but Dad was using a loud stinky mower....

Bill went back over to Little Man's house yesterday afternoon and mention that since he is 12 that he might be developing disorientation to keep tabs on him more just in case that is a possibility (love my husband)...........  as we have went through that with an Australian Shepard that we had that lived to the age of 17. Plus we are now experiencing this issue with our Missy and are starting to see it in Lucy........Bill made the comment the other day when he walk into our bedroom he labeled it the GENERIC WARD........Missy sacked out on one bed and Lucy on another and neither moved when he walked thru........

• Like 4
Crinkly

When we took Toed to the vets and he (FINALLY) got the diagnosis of being senile, the Vet sent us home with some ridiculously expensive supplement tablets, and told us to give him one a day for the rest of his life - which wouldn't be very long, he said.

That was the day I switched both cats (it was before we had the dogs) onto a RAW food diet, rich in fish oils (raw omega 3) and trace elements, vits and mins.

- and that was also the day that Toed stopped deteriorating.

He went on to live 7 more years, dying of a massive stroke at 19 years old, with a coat like a mirror and perfect, sharp un-dry and un-splintered claws.  you know how old cats get staring dull fur and brittle claws?  None of that for him.  Unfortunately, nothing healed the damage to his brain, but it didn't get any worse. :)

I sooooo regret feeding both cats on cooked - tinned and kibble up until that point, and am glad I learned the lesson in time to give both mutts RAW from the very beginning.

• Like 4
Sophie's Haven

@Crinkly Over all my readings RAW is the #1 means of feeding and I have been tempted but unless someone can tell me different I would have to go completely organic and for example  to get a whole chicken that is known to be organic is $25.00 per chicken. Our meats are so full of crap......even our fish. I was buying organic chicken at a far less price but it still goes thru a process that is questionable.........Having 7 paws would be a major expense......I will continue the assortment of veggies. With Bailey having seizures I have read Omega 3 in sardines and salmon they will not stop the  seizures but will help cushion the brain from trauma............which I have started him on.......I have had to be careful with Lucy as her tummy can not tolerated certain oils.....the sardines she had a few weeks ago go right thru her. She is more my veggie paw with olive oil.........right along with Bailey who I limited his protein intake......thinking maybe I was wrong about my thoughts of the protein intake over the past 6 weeks I increased his protein only for him to have had 3 mild seizures within one week of each other........immediately cut back on his protein.......to me it is all trial and error and what works for one dog may not work for the other............

• Like 4
Crinkly

I feel your pain.

i don't feed them organic.  Wish i did!  But we don't eat organic meat either - and we should.

the trouble is, we never know what the long term consequences will be.  The RAW helped Toed tremendously, but Sidney keeled over at 11 yrs old.  He was gleaming and bright eyed, but for all i know his seizure/stroke was the result of food/toxins/environment... We just make the best decision we can, at any time.

just glad he had the pleasure of crunching all those chicken wings. :roflmao:

• Like 3
Sophie's Haven

@Crinkly When I first met Bill he had two dogs........Lucy a mutt was found in a parking lot just a tiny puppy and Callie was the Australian Shepherd that a lady just gave him cause she moved and had no room for her........Both great dogs......ate free range of nothing but dried dog food and got plain old  dog biscuits.....none had any health issues.....never sick........Lucy lived to be 18 and passed in Bills arms here at home and Callie passed at 17 a decision we both made as her quality of life was no longer there........you just never know.......and your so right we don't know the long term consequences. I have even question feeding my guys liver.......liver absorbs all toxins so unless it is organic your feeding toxins to your dogs........but with all the toxins in the air how can any animal be toxin free for that matter and are food/meat really organic........... 

• Like 3
Marlene

Yep  -  our first family dog was a Beagle/Terrier mix bought at a pet store.  Daisy was spayed had her first series of puppy shots and the only time I can remember she ever was vaccinated again was when she was attacked by a neighbor's dog, got torn up and taken to the vet - they vaccinated at that time.  I dabbled in homecooking for her but 80 % of what she ate during her lifetime was Pedigree canned and dry.  She died in her bed one night when she was 18.  Yes, she was feeble and frail, could hardly hear and incontinent but never really sick.

Next was our first Boxer puppy Katie, vaccinated religiously, often at the vet because she was an athlete and often hurt.  She too was fed Pedigree kibble and canned and we lost her at 13 when she hemorrhaged from a unknown tumor on her spleen - she had already been recently diagnosed with Cushings.

Next came Mack who had REALLLLLY good vet care because by that time I was paranoid about Boxer health and also had pet insurance..  He was a big guy and I had to take weight off of him at a young age because of a CL tear and surgery.  That was the start of my religiously cooking for him and also about the time vaccinations became controversial and he didn't get any more unless there was an emergency boarding.  We lost him at 12 from colo-rectal cancer.

Katie at 13 and Mack at 12 are very good long lives for Boxers who often die at 8-9 - usually from cancer.

Sooooo........I don't know how much difference good food makes.  There is also common sense, living close (mostly indoors) with owners who pay close attention to their needs.

BUT!  I like to think the food we feed, the exercise we provide and the unconditional affection we show all go towards good health.  But genetics are sooooo important.

• Like 4