What colour is my puppy

Furbaby1313

We have had Prince a week and every day I see different tones in his coat.  At first I thought he was all black with a little white.  Now I see reds and browns.   Is this normal?   And what colour is he likely to grow up to be?   ?Thanks.

IMG_20160627_144249.jpg

• Like 5

Shih Tzu can change colors throughout their lives.  A black dog that is fed food with tomato pommace or beet pulp may develop a reddish tinge.  As well, a black coat that is in the sun a lot may start to show red tones.  I have a lovely Ch. boy who was a true red/white as a young dog, but by 2 years of age he was silver/white.  There are never any guarantees on color.

• Like 6
ParadiseTzu

Willie is 18 months old now and similar in color to Prince. He has many different shades in his fur while still staying very dark. He has lost most of the white he had on his chest as a baby. He is registered as brindle and white.

image.jpeg

• Like 6
Furbaby1313
8 hours ago, Luna said:

Shih Tzu can change colors throughout their lives.  I black dog that is fed food with tomato pommace or beet pulp may develop a reddish tinge.  As well, a black coat that is in the sun a lot may start to show red tones.  I have a lovely Ch. boy who was a true red/white as a young dog, but by 2 years of age he was silver/white.  There are never any guarantees on color.

Wow!   Thanks Luna.   That's amazing I didn't know that!!    So luckily I love the little guy to pieces, regardless of colour.

8 hours ago, ParadiseTzu said:

Willie is 18 months old now and similar in color to Prince. He has many different shades in his fur while still staying very dark. He has lost most of the white he had on his chest as a baby. He is registered as brindle and white.

image.jpeg

Willie is beautiful? yes, those red and brown tones I see out in the sun.  When inside he totally blends in with my black lounge chair.    He's registered with the council as black coat.   Hope no inspector thinks I'm smuggling a new brindle shih-tzu into my house??

• Like 5
17 hours ago, ParadiseTzu said:

image.jpeg

I strongly suspect Willie is actually a grizzle, not a brindle.  It's an unusual (though not necessarily rare) color.  Breeders who haven't seen both colors from birth often get them confused.

• Like 5