Heart Murmur ~ Cowboy

Marlene

I know this should go in the health forum......but it doesn't give me the proper category(?)

Cowboy went to the vet today to have a couple of growths on his back checked out  -  aspirate showed they were nothing.

When examining Cowboy, of course one of the first things done was to listen to his heart (lungs).  The vet said he has a "significant" heart murmur.  4 out of 6.

I have never dealt with a heart murmur dog (very common in my experience with Boxer history).

I would like folks experienced in living with this, and breeders to give me some links to research  -  specifically relevant to Shih Tzus.

• Like 3
Missysmom

OH my gosh hugs and prayers for Cowboy. I have zero experience with dogs but my mom had a heart murmur her whole life (from rheumatic fever as a kid). For her it was just a matter of watching and checkups. Am praying it's the same for Cowboy.

Am so glad his growths were ok. Hugs sweetie. :throb:

• Like 3
PipsMom

Oh my! Sure hope it can be controlled with medication.

Shelia has a paw with a murmur...hope she can educate us on heart murmur's

• Like 2
missy dawn

Maisey was diagnosed with a murmur as  a small baby,(6wks old) they told me ,to take her back where I got her from. there is one side that the heart murmur is on and can go away, and it's not as serious as the other side .maiseys was on the worst side and wouldn't go away, and they told me she wouldn't live a long life, I cried and cried.i had fallen head over heels in love with her over night when I got her from a ( I now know, was a back yard breeder).they wouldn't even spay her until we took her 2 hours from here to have a ultrasound of her heart to see if she could with stand the spaying.they did spay her and she did fine.my mother who had gotten very very close to Maisey, as well as Maisey to her, they really bonded.i could tell her " grandma's coming over" and she would go crazy with excitement!! Still does.lol anyway, she began a mission of prayer for Maisey, anyone she talked to  and everywhere she went , prayer took place for Maisey! You wouldn't believe the people  and preachers who prayed for Maisey. My mama got many many people to pray over a prayer cloth and was annointed.maisey wore it like a necklace day after day.she had to be often  checked at vets office the murmur was so bad.as we took her each time the murmur got more faint.the prayer kept on, more and more churches got involved,. finally took Maisey ,and the vet looked over at me and mama, and said" I CANT FIND A MURMUR , ITS GONE COMPLETELY" my eyes filled with tears, mama started praising God out loud!!! She told the vet " look what God can do" !!!! Ok the tears are dripping as I'm saying this! So that was my experience with a murmur.

• Like 5
Marlene
16 minutes ago, missy dawn said:

Maisey was diagnosed with a murmur as  a small baby,(6wks old) they told me ,to take her back where I got her from. there is one side that the heart murmur is on and can go away, and it's not as serious as the other side .maiseys was on the worst side and wouldn't go away, and they told me she wouldn't live a long life, I cried and cried.i had fallen head over heels in love with her over night when I got her from a ( I now know, was a back yard breeder).they wouldn't even spay her until we took her 2 hours from here to have a ultrasound of her heart to see if she could with stand the spaying.they did spay her and she did fine.my mother who had gotten very very close to Maisey, as well as Maisey to her, they really bonded.i could tell her " grandma's coming over" and she would go crazy with excitement!! Still does.lol anyway, she began a mission of prayer for Maisey, anyone she talked to  and everywhere she went , prayer took place for Maisey! You wouldn't believe the people  and preachers who prayed for Maisey. My mama got many many people to pray over a prayer cloth and was annointed.maisey wore it like a necklace day after day.she had to be often  checked at vets office the murmur was so bad.as we took her each time the murmur got more faint.the prayer kept on, more and more churches got involved,. finally took Maisey ,and the vet looked over at me and mama, and said" I CANT FIND A MURMUR , ITS GONE COMPLETELY" my eyes filled with tears, mama started praising God out loud!!! She told the vet " look what God can do" !!!! Ok the tears are dripping as I'm saying this! So that was my experience with a murmur.

Prayer works in amazing ways. Maisey had everything going for her with love and care and youth.

Cowboy is sleeping on my lap after his usual breakfast, potty and running laps around the couch with Shorty. 

• Like 5
missy dawn
9 minutes ago, Marlene said:

Prayer works in amazing ways. Maisey had everything going for her with love and care and youth.

Cowboy is sleeping on my lap after his usual breakfast, potty and running laps around the couch with Shorty. 

I do remember, she would give out easier than the other fur kids, so running and hard play had to be kept at a minimum .oh and guess what ,she's 10 1/2 years old now

• Like 3
Marlene

We have noticed Cowboy is the "pokey little puppy" when out for a walk.  We thought it was because he wasn't used to being walked.  Shorty is ALWAYS  the path finder, out ahead, not stopping much to sniff.  He doesn't know WHERE he's going.......but he's going to get there first!  Cowboy likes to meander.

• Like 3
missy dawn
25 minutes ago, Marlene said:

We have noticed Cowboy is the "pokey little puppy" when out for a walk.  We thought it was because he wasn't used to being walked.  Shorty is ALWAYS  the path finder, out ahead, not stopping much to sniff.  He doesn't know WHERE he's going.......but he's going to get there first!  Cowboy likes to meander.

We had to watch Maiseys activity 

• Like 3
Missysmom

What an amazing story Sheila, Maisey was certainly blessed. So happy she has no sign of the murmur now! And yes the power of prayer Is amazing, no matter how many times I see it I'm still in awe! Bless you and your momma! :pash:

• Like 3
missy dawn
9 minutes ago, Missysmom said:

What an amazing story Sheila, Maisey was certainly blessed. So happy she has no sign of the murmur now! And yes the power of prayer Is amazing, no matter how many times I see it I'm still in awe! Bless you and your momma! :pash:

Especially after being told having the murmur on the side she did would never go away! God is so good!!!

• Like 4