Waiting to hear

Crinkly

Went for a walk with the mutts today.  Beach.  And we met our dogsitter, her friend, and assorted dogs.  Casual conversation revealed that Friend has a neighbour who 'wants rid' of her 16 month old Tzu because 'she never bonded with it'.

:cops:

there is some chance that Friend's sister may take the dog, but Friend can't take it because they have just got a Rottweiler pup.  As of today, they were still looking for a home for it.

having discussed it with Mr C (who is not keen! - understatement!)  i have contacted my lovely dogsitter to ask if the dog is male or female.  I think that with our pack dynamic, introducing a girl wouldn't be a good idea.  Tara is so timid with any dog except Cato, that introducing a potentially 'handbags at dawn' situation would be a bad idea.  But if it is a boy...

am waiting to hear.

if it IS a boy, then we have a lot of questions and some serious thinking to do...

• Like 6
PipsMom

:bounce::bounce8: OOOOOOO How exciting is that :bounce8: 

Food for thought....another girl would give Tara a play victim other than Cato that could keep up with her high energy and give back as good as she gives....Throwing cat among the pigeons now aren't I? 

Either way I do hope you can rehome the little paw if everything goes to your plans.

Who can never ever Not bond with a Shih Tzu? Pure ❤️ Love

• Like 5
ParadiseTzu

I hope it works out the way you want it too! What does "handbags at dawn" mean?  Assume it means two females wont get along but just cant figure out the reference exactly.  When I was looking for a second dog, I was advised against two females. Look forward to the outcome!

• Like 4
Crinkly

Haha!  Handbags at dawn is a reference to the old Duelling tradition.  The duellists met at dawn, usually either using swords or pistols in a secluded park or field, then either fought to 'first blood' or 'to the death'.

Handbags at Dawn is used (here in the UK) to describe two bitchy women who need to fight it out, probably with a lot of hystrionic drama, battering each other with their designer handbags. :roflmao: Just like two actual bitches, sorting out the pack pecking order. :)

It is sometimes used to refer to two gay men, as well... If they are having a spat.

• Like 5
Marlene
20 minutes ago, ParadiseTzu said:

What does "handbags at dawn" mean?  Assume it means two females wont get along but just cant figure out the reference exactly.  

Love that reference and when I find out what it means......I might start to use it :-)

In Boxer rescue, we very seldom place 2 females together......there's a reason they call them "bitches".  That being said my Lulu (Boxer) lived with our female with no problems as well as other foster females.  Sophie doesn't have problems with other females.

Maybe if you take the pup and it doesn't work out.....at least she will be with people who will work to re-home her in a Shih Tzu home, understanding all the idiocyncrasies.

I also agree with the idea of giving Tara someone else to pick on.

• Like 5
Crinkly

Yes.  My original gameplan was always to wait 5 years or so between Tara and the next pack introduction.  Staggering the ages.  But that was before Tara turned out to be quite so... Indefategable. :roflmao:  it is turning into a BIG ask to expect Cato to wait all that time for someone new to take over Punching Bag Duties. :)

• Like 4
Sophie's Haven

If all works out in your favor you should have a meet and greet in one of your parks to see how things go not only for you which really is important but how the 3 get along..........all paws crossed for a good outcome for this Shih Tzu no matter where it finds its forever home.

• Like 4
Anonymous

I don't know this person's situation but I wish people would research before they go out and get dogs. And THINK

Ah well. Enough of that. A 16 month old Shih Tzu should be easy enough to rehome.

Paws crossed it's a boy so you can consider it seriously! 

• Like 4
Marlene
9 minutes ago, KateBren said:

I don't know this person's situation but I wish people would research before they go out and get dogs. And THINK

Ah well. Enough of that. A 16 month old Shih Tzu should be easy enough to rehome.

Paws crossed it's a boy so you can consider it seriously! 

Last Saturday, I transported 3 Boxers to an adoption fair.  As I was unloading dogs a nice lady approached and asked what was going on.  Turned out she had recently lost the "love of her life" and wanted to replace him.

Sadly he had died at 7 and she rescued him when he was 3......so she didn't have enough time with him nor had she experienced a Boxer puppy thru adolescence.  She didn't understand why so many are surrendered or not claimed as a stray.  

As Kate Bren said "I wish people would research before they go out and get dogs. And THINK

The first 2 years of a Boxer's life are filled with fun and trouble while you wait for their brain to come on back-order - LOL  If you make it through that you will have been innoculated and be hooked for life and you'll probably get another and another.  But you need to be a tolerant dog lover with commitment.

Sigh......how could anyone not bond with a Shih Tzu?

On the situation with Mr. C.........I have to support how he feels.  For many, many years we were ONLY going to have one dog.  When we foster-failed it went pretty smoothly and now we can't imagine having only one.  That being said - every time we have a foster around both of us say "3 dogs is a LOT!" - even if the third one is small a breed.  I know your hubs is a great Daddy, loves those kids and they love him but bringing in a third may be a commitment YOU have to take on.  Just the walking, which he happily joins or takes over could be your first problem.

On the other hand......bet he melts if he gets a chance to meet him.  Tell him if you bring in another male the guys will RULE!  2 against 3!

• Like 5
Crinkly

I found it veeeeerrrrrrryyyyyyyy interestink that when we were talking about it this evening, one of his comments was 'but what about my pug?'

this from a man who has always said 'we don't want another dog' and who has previously rejected my suggestion that 'because you like pugs, we could make no. 3 a pug, if you like... ' 

haha!

gotcha matey!  

• Like 6
Anonymous
17 hours ago, Marlene said:

Last Saturday, I transported 3 Boxers to an adoption fair.  As I was unloading dogs a nice lady approached and asked what was going on.  Turned out she had recently lost the "love of her life" and wanted to replace him.

Sadly he had died at 7 and she rescued him when he was 3......so she didn't have enough time with him nor had she experienced a Boxer puppy thru adolescence.  She didn't understand why so many are surrendered or not claimed as a stray.  

As Kate Bren said "I wish people would research before they go out and get dogs. And THINK

The first 2 years of a Boxer's life are filled with fun and trouble while you wait for their brain to come on back-order - LOL  If you make it through that you will have been innoculated and be hooked for life and you'll probably get another and another.  But you need to be a tolerant dog lover with commitment.

Sigh......how could anyone not bond with a Shih Tzu?

That's very interesting. So she missed the early tough years and then enjoyed a few great years and mourned that she lost the end. I could see that happening alright.

Honestly, even with Buddy our Tzu puppy, I had an idea he would be like the rescue Shih Tzu we adopted....when she was 7. I was quite surprised when Buddy turned out to be...a puppy!  And I consider myself quite knowledgeable or at least willing to research

• Like 4
ParadiseTzu
21 hours ago, Crinkly said:

Haha!  Handbags at dawn is a reference to the old Duelling tradition.  The duellists met at dawn, usually either using swords or pistols in a secluded park or field, then either fought to 'first blood' or 'to the death'.

Handbags at Dawn is used (here in the UK) to describe two bitchy women who need to fight it out, probably with a lot of hystrionic drama, battering each other with their designer handbags. :roflmao: Just like two actual bitches, sorting out the pack pecking order. :)

It is sometimes used to refer to two gay men, as well... If they are having a spat.

?Thanks!

• Like 4
Summerangel

I've just found this post. Oh my goodness, how exciting.... 

Any news yet whether it's a male or female? 

• Like 3
Crinkly

No news yet. :( 

After 2 days I will start to assume the dog is a bitch or already re-homed, so I will try and stop thinking about it.

try being the operative word, eh? :)

• Like 3
Summerangel
22 minutes ago, Crinkly said:

After 2 days I will start to assume the dog is a bitch or already re-homed, so I will try and stop thinking about it.

Oh no... I suppose it wasn't meant to be. Shame though. 

• Like 3
Jo-Anne
1 hour ago, Crinkly said:

I hope you can stop thinking about it..that is always the hard part if you want to welcome a new paw to your home and it didn`t work out :huh:

• Like 4
PipsMom
2 hours ago, Crinkly said:

:sad_2: I too been thinking about him/her. So wished the paw could have lived with you, as your a excellent paw parent and we'd all get to see the Happily Ever After

• Like 3
Crinkly

OMG - I hadn't factored the extra Blog duties in!  Haha!  

Oh well.  One day.  And you never know, they may get back in touch with me...

(one positive thing - when Mr C got home from work yesterday, the first words out of his mouth were 'well?  Is it a boy?'  So I think he is a lot more open to recruiting No 3 than he lets on...)

• Like 5
PipsMom

Mr C asking about the paw.....Now that made me break out in a huge grin. Mr. C you big ole softy you. :P

• Like 4
ParadiseTzu

Oh, I guess its one of those man things!  Before I got Willie, whenever I talked about wanting a second Tzu, hubby would grumble and mumble. After listening to me over and over about it, he started asking me if I had found one yet, like he had been in agreement all along!   I was so worried tho because Sassy Mae was the first dog, in our 50 year marriage, that we had in the house, and she was perfect. I figured I would get one that would have or develop bad habits.   So we got Willie and within just a few months, I could get irritated at something "puppy" that he had done and hubby would be telling me "dont you say nothin' bad about that baby" . ?  Course nowadays I think Willie is perfect too!

• Like 5
Missysmom

Oh my gosh, just catching up and saw this! Was so hoping as I read along that you would hear something... Still hoping you do that would be Sooo exciting!

• Like 2
Crinkly

:(

Just heard for definite (after tortuous wait and having to chase it twice!) that the pup in question is a bitch, and a 'pure' shih tzu.  It was a bit like getting blood out of a stone!  So if we had ended up trying to adopt, I can imagine it would have been a nightmare.

:(

So I have bowed out.

Feeling very sad, and wishing we hadn't stipulated a boy only, but we did, and for very good reasons.

I really hope the little mite finds a good home.

Mr C claims to be relieved, and I am disappointed.  Will keep my ear to the ground, and let the next opportunity present itself.

• Like 1