Martha update

Shihtzumummy2

Shihtzumummy2

Dear all, hello from New Zealand with another update on my little star,  Martha.

She is now exactly 5 months old, still weighing in at 4.1 kg, she's been that weight for three weeks now. I'm not sure if this is just a little spell of no weight gain, but we are absolutely convinced that she is a little bit bigger than she was last week. However she is fit and well, eating and drinking all that she is given, and has unbounded energy to boot. If I offer bigger portions she struggles to finish the food, and so we sort of stick with what is working. She is great out walking, she can manage about 2 km without too many stops, and does manage to challenge Bob in endurance at the moment. Her enthusiasm is out of this world, and her bravery thrills us to bits, long may that continue.

I think she is looking more and more Shih Tzu in her face and body, however she most definitely has the Cavalier tail, her personality is hard to pick,  in that she has the fun, mischief and playfulness of the Shih Tzu, but the more gentle temperament of the Cavalier, by that I mean,  she does not bark much at all, which is exactly what my two Cavalier's were like, and it's known that Cavalier's are quiet dogs on the whole.  My two boys used to bark at anything that moved, and to this day Bob can be very yappy indeed. She will respond to visitors by giving me a little bark, and then once I tell her it's ok she stops. Bob continues to bark until he decides to stop, but that's Bob, Sam was not much of a yapper at all really. Martha is a fabulous mixture, each day I learn something new about her, she often reminds me of my adorable Pippa, she was my little Blenhiem Cavalier, especially in her love of cuddles and snuggles, and her extremely fast responses to instructions. I see her intelligence by the sheer brightness of her eyes, and her quick response to what I expect of her.  It just makes me so happy knowing that she is as she is. She is most definitely an eye dog, as opposed to my darling Bob who is not!  Martha will look right into my eyes, for my expression, and she has learned to measure my expression very well indeed lol. We are all totally in love with this darling little girl,  who saved us all from a very dark cold tunnel of gloom, thank goodness.  

We have not ventured anywhere near the pond with her yet, it's alive with new families of ducks, and other critters, like frogs etc. We have a suspicion that Martha is going to be a water dog, heaven help us lol. Our Cavvies were, but my boys most definitely not! We took them both to the town basin last weeked, it was high tide, and Martha persisted in pulling towards the water, we had to literally carry her back to the car, she was so animated which made us think that maybe she will love the water. We will take her to the beach probably next weekend to test her out, it should be a hoot.

The photo I took last evening, its Martha's favourite place in the house and it's her daddy's too lol. 

I couldn't get onto the computer last weekend, we had family staying over, it was labour weekend, a long weekend here in NZ. I try to read the posts on here but fail miserably most of the time, sorry to say.

Anyhow, that's about it for now.

Stay well, and be happy

Heaps of love from

Ellie, Bob and Martha.  

Martha favourite seat tagged 2.jpg

• Like 9
Crinkly

So pleased - and make sure you have that camera handy when she does get her first dip!  I am sure it will be memorable. :cheezy:

• Like 7
ParadiseTzu

Very glad all is going well!  Love the photo of Martha and the little white goatee. Look forward to hearing how she likes the beach.

• Like 7
Sophie's Haven

Love the new picture......she is just precious. :throb:

• Like 6
Shihtzumummy2
8 hours ago, Crinkly said:

So pleased - and make sure you have that camera handy when she does get her first dip!  I am sure it will be memorable. :cheezy:

Will do

4 hours ago, Sophie's Haven said:

Love the new picture......she is just precious. :throb:

Thank you so much

8 hours ago, ParadiseTzu said:

Very glad all is going well!  Love the photo of Martha and the little white goatee. Look forward to hearing how she likes the beach.

should be a hoot, and thank you for your kind comments

• Like 6
Summerangel

What a beautiful update. I don't know how she's manages it but she looks even more adorable ?? 

can't wait yo hear if she will be a water dog. Although Tara knows, I don't do well with Pictures of the paws near water... lol 

i love the beach. I bet she'll love it... don't forget to take lots of pictures , would love to see them at the beach. 

• Like 6
Shihtzumummy2
5 hours ago, Summerangel said:

What a beautiful update. I don't know how she's manages it but she looks even more adorable ?? 

can't wait yo hear if she will be a water dog. Although Tara knows, I don't do well with Pictures of the paws near water... lol 

i love the beach. I bet she'll love it... don't forget to take lots of pictures , would love to see them at the beach. 

Thank you Julia, I can't quite get it either, as she develops, somehow she gets more and more cute. We are totally captivated by her sunny personality, and fearless spirit in all manner of things. We do feel very lucky to have her, the breeder had three other people waiting to grab her if we did not take her. However from the moment I set eyes on her she had to be mine.

As for the beach, we really hope the weather will be nice at the weekend, if not then the following one will be for sure.

• Like 6
Jo-Anne

Love her development..the best of both worlds..Shih-Tzu and Cavalier..Martha is beautiful, her eyes telling you so much..ha ha so that chair is a favourite one.. wonder who gets to sit on it more :D 1184748av8qinoczj.gif thank you Ellie for this lovely update..wonder what Martha will do too if she sees the water..Karel loves the beach..but not the sea! no way he will get in there..if only the tip of his toe is getting wet he is going in another direction..

• Like 5
Missysmom

Love the Martha updates I look forward to every one! What a sweetheart she is and Sooo gorgeous! Can't wait to hear about and see her on the beach!! Love, love her new pic! :throb:

• Like 6
Sunlite

What a sweet update, so happy to hear that Martha is doing so well. I love that white tuft on her chin, it's adorable! Sounds like she might really enjoy the water...most Tzus don't like the wet but you'll find out soon enough. She might have just enough cavvie in her.

Hope you enjoy the beach, jealous here. I haven't seen the ocean in about 4 yrs, and then it was only for about 1/2 hr. Today it was in the low 30's with slushy snow, :yucky:

Can't wait for summer to come back!

• Like 6
Shihtzumummy2
9 hours ago, Jo-Anne said:

Love her development..the best of both worlds..Shih-Tzu and Cavalier..Martha is beautiful, her eyes telling you so much..ha ha so that chair is a favourite one.. wonder who gets to sit on it more :D 1184748av8qinoczj.gif thank you Ellie for this lovely update..wonder what Martha will do too if she sees the water..Karel loves the beach..but not the sea! no way he will get in there..if only the tip of his toe is getting wet he is going in another direction..

Thanks Jo-Anne, I really am very delighted with her. As for the chair, she loves it because its a rocking chair, hubby now shares it with her in the evenings.

• Like 6
missy dawn

she sounds like the sweetest baby,love the beautiful picture!

• Like 6
Shihtzumummy2
7 hours ago, Missysmom said:

Love the Martha updates I look forward to every one! What a sweetheart she is and Sooo gorgeous! Can't wait to hear about and see her on the beach!! Love, love her new pic! :throb:

Oh I am glad to read that, thank you so much Vicki.

2 hours ago, Sunlite said:

What a sweet update, so happy to hear that Martha is doing so well. I love that white tuft on her chin, it's adorable! Sounds like she might really enjoy the water...most Tzus don't like the wet but you'll find out soon enough. She might have just enough cavvie in her.

Hope you enjoy the beach, jealous here. I haven't seen the ocean in about 4 yrs, and then it was only for about 1/2 hr. Today it was in the low 30's with slushy snow, :yucky:

Can't wait for summer to come back!

Thank you Susan, it's my pleasure to share her with you all, after all you have all gone through our trauma with us, it's only right that you get to feel the happy side of things too. As for the sea, we live very close to it, so going there is not a problem for us.

21 minutes ago, missy dawn said:

she sounds like the sweetest baby,love the beautiful picture!

Thanks Sheila, she really is one very delightful little girl, I'm very happy you like her photographs of her development

• Like 6