Twas the night before Christmas (eve)

Marlene

Christmas visitor.

Yoda is going to stay with us for 5 days over the Christmas holiday.  Should be fun!  He'll be here next week.

I've never spent time with a Yorkie before.  Yoda is 4 yrs old and 14 pounds.  Isn't that big for a Yorkie?  We have one in the neighborhood and I doubt he weighs 7-8 lbs.

YODA POMDR.jpg

• Like 9
Sunlite

How fun! Keep us updated!

• Like 5
Missysmom

Ooh Yoda you're adorable! Can't wait to hear all about him, how fun to have a sweet visitor for Christmas! 

• Like 3
Sophie's Haven

What a cutie........have fun!! Hopefully he is not a yapper.......my friend had one that was precious but he was so wired and all he did was bark..........

• Like 3
Marlene

So Yoda is in the house and after a short time of meets and greets....everything was going pretty well.  Yoda is a Terrier and shows that kind of behavior but we got it figured out in about 1/2  hour.

I have a very small 2 story home which means the bottom story is a small kitchen -living area with a small den/bedroom off the kitchen.

I babygated Yoda in the den for awhile with Shortie G and Sophie gawking and whining to meet the new kid.  It was pouring rain outside so a first walk (when I was home alone) didn't happen.

We were able to do that shortly and Yoda stopped being a "terrorist Terrier" and had a good meeting and a short walk with my kids.

Because we have such a small space - I left the door open to the garage (off the kitchen) for them to explore.  Within a few minutes I checked on them and found Shorty G huddled in a corner of the garage. He is such a wimpy baby - nothing like the stoic Boxers I'm used to - I could tell immediately "something was wrong" :-(  

I'm pretty sure he has a scratched cornea with eye squinching and "I'm hurt behavior".

So tomorrow is Christmas Eve and when I call my vet (before noon) they tell me they are slammed today but give me the names and numbers of other local vets to try.  After calling 3 with "nothing until next Tuesday" - we got an appt for 6 PM, another 5 hours away.

I found some Rimadyl for my 55 lb Boxer and gave 11 pound Shorty 1/4 of a tablet.  He is quiet and subdued. Gosh darn it....this is always a worry when bringing in foster dogs wit fleas, scobley mobley and worrying about my own babies.

Meanwhile Yoda is cute, has bonded to me as Mama, walked a few times with me and then the Big Guy and except for being yappy seems to be settling in.

• Like 5
Missysmom

Oh bless Shorty's heart, same exact thing happened to Missy 'playing' with another pup we had for a short time... :( pray he'll be at the vet soon getting some meds and no doubt the dreaded cone.. Extra hugs and kisses for Shorty:throb:

• Like 3
Crinkly

Poor Shorty!  Do you think it was exploring the garage, or a getting-to-know-you scuffle?

And good on you Yoda!  Sounds like you are settling in fine. :)

The yappiness is inevitable, I am afraid.  Every Yorkie I have ever met has been like it.  But my goodness they are courageous! (and the breed standard is 5-7 pounds, I think, so Yoda is a GIANT!!!)

• Like 3
Marlene

Yes courageous - I would say that seems to be his personality so far.  And for his size of 14 pounds....I think his fluffy ears are 1/4 of his weight.  Yoda is a perfect name for him!

I don't think it was exploring our small garage or a scuffle - just playing which ended up with Shorty having (I think) a scratched eye.

• Like 4
Marlene
2 hours ago, Crinkly said:

the breed standard is 5-7 pounds, I think, so Yoda is a GIANT!!!)

I took my dogs to the dog park 2 days ago and met a Yorkie who was enthralled with Shorty.....he didn't want to leave when Mama said it was time to go.  He weighed 22 lbs!  Yoda is supposed to be 14 lbs.  We have one in the neighborhood is a tiny munchkin - maybe 7-8 lbs.

• Like 3