Training/ankle biting

Minniemoos mom

Hi all we have had minnie since the 1st February and she's doing great,doing most of her wee's and poo's on the puppy pads which is fantastic.

But the last week she's started ankle biting at our trousers and growling (not in a angry way) she won't let go of our trousers.

Also when she's on the sofa with us if she's in a mad mood she will jump and our faces and looks like she wants to nip :( I'm putting her down when she's like this but she only wants to play :( 

do you lovely people have any ideas I could use please?i don't want to keep saying NO if I'm doing it wrong :( 

many thanks xx

• Like 4
PipsMom

Your not doing it wrong. Play is what she's doing and your correct ending play when she tries to nip your face and hands and saying no. The only thing that will ever hurt a Shih Tzu's feelings is denying affection, she will soon learn no mommie play if I bite....best to do that now before she gets any older.

For the trousers that's normal as it becomes a game to chase and attack the moving pants legs...my boy is three and he still will revert back to his puppy habit from time to time with pants legs. Lol.  The secret is to end the game....when she goes for your pants leg stop dead in your tracks and don't move, don't look at her.....say no bite real loud. She will stop and look confused that's normal ....take one step forward, if she goes for the pants repeat the no and stand still without saying anything....it takes a few times but she soon catches on your pants arent a game and they loose interest when you don't cooperate....they also learn No means No which comes in handy for other habits she might start.

• Like 4
Minniemoos mom

Hi I'm sorry for the late reply,but I have tried this today and it's working already ? 

My kids are doing it aswell as its mainly them she chases,and it's working from them aswell :) 

I know it's only been 1 day but we are going to keep it up and feel like I've not been saying no allday,it's really worked is stopping and saying it :) 

thank you so much for your help xx

• Like 5
IpHiNiTi

Another SURE FIRE way to teach puppies not to bite is to bite them back...  This usually works really fast.. two or three times...  Been doing this for years...  Bite back till they feel it and yipe..  May sound mean, but I don't have nipping problems unless I try to brush Koko..  She hates it.. lmfao

• Like 2