hello from New Zealand

Shihtzumummy2

Shihtzumummy2

Dear all, hello again, I do hope you are all well.

I've been very busy over the past little while with putting my garden to sleep for the next few weeks. The leaves are everywhere as usual, hubby is not amused annually about that lol. I love the fact I took advice many years ago in order to be able to plant trees that would give us colour in Autumn. Its not easy here in the winterless north,  but I did manage to find some wonderful trees that do give us an abundance of Autumn colour.

My little darlings are giving us so much joy,  now that Martha is older and just about under control!!! She is a natural runner, oh my goodness, I've never known a dog run so much, she scampers everywhere. It's a joy to see the effect she has had on Bob too. He has lost weight, and looks very nicely trim now, all due to her energy and playfulness. She teases him into playing her game of catch me if you can lol. We howl with laughter at them both, they are hilareous together. At the moment we have to keep her from going down to the pond area, we have many nesting birds with eggs, mostly Ducks. In fact the other day hubby was clearing some ferns from around the far end of the pond, and accidentally came upon one Mrs Duck sitting on a nest with about ten eggs. Sadly she abandoned them, and this morning hubby found all of the eggs had been damaged by some other critter! He is so upset about it. We do know that there are at least three other nests with eggs too down there, but we know where they are and so they are safe for now. Also we have been very upset to see the dreaded Magpies have come back after a few years of not having any. I dislike them, they are just too aggressive, I think hubby may have to do something about them this year if they stay (: they do take over the garden if one allows that, and we don't allow that. Sorry if that sounds insensitive, but we really can't let them dominate our property at the expence of our gorgeous Native Birds.

So that's about it for now

Catch up again soon

Love from Ellie, Bob and Martha xxxx 

be your own kind of beautiful.jpg

• Like 6
Marlene

Always interesting to know you are settling in for the winter as we are chomping at the bit for summer.  Also interesting to know the ducks are laying....?

So nice to hear both of yours are scampering around.....and that the girlie is always leading the pack.

I am enjoying feeding the wild birds that are getting ready to nest.....today I bought a pkg of mealy worms (ICK YUK) to add to the seed tay I put out.

The package says these are favorites to feed to nestlings.......since I have a nest of Lavender Green Swallows on the back fence I'm "brooding".

• Like 5
Shihtzumummy2
1 hour ago, Marlene said:

Always interesting to know you are settling in for the winter as we are chomping at the bit for summer.  Also interesting to know the ducks are laying....?

So nice to hear both of yours are scampering around.....and that the girlie is always leading the pack.

I am enjoying feeding the wild birds that are getting ready to nest.....today I bought a pkg of mealy worms (ICK YUK) to add to the seed tay I put out.

The package says these are favorites to feed to nestlings.......since I have a nest of Lavender Green Swallows on the back fence I'm "brooding".

Yes it is rather early for the Ducks to be laying, but they are, along with the Native Ducks too. The seasons are crazy at times. I do love Swallows, but they can cause a lot of damage to our house, we put a thing called hot feet on the wooden window frames at the top under the veranda, it stops them from nesting under there. We do love to see them on other structures such as my potting shed, and shade house, but most definitely not on our home. Yes Martha is the Boss big time, however unbeknown to her, when she is not about , we spoll Bob heaps lol.

Today she could hear us out in the main garden, but could not see us, we heard a very strange noise, wondered what on earth it was, only to find it was madam howling like a true Spaniel, honestly we cracked up laughing. For such a tiny little dog she has a very deep long and woeful howl haaaaaaaaa.

• Like 4
Marlene

These Swallows are nesting in a birdhouse.  I know what you mean about the ones that make mud nests under the eaves - we have had those in California.  When they started building.....I would hose down the beginnings.  I would never destroy a nest with eggs or babies but if I can deter them from starting - I do it.  There are many buildings - schools, malls etc that put up extensive barriers to keep them from nesting. Once they do - they are protected by law......no matter how many heads they poop on!

• Like 5
PipsMom

Such a delight to hear Martha and Bob's playing.....She was definately God sent when your family needed it so. I remember those magpies....nastiest attitudes those pests.

• Like 4
ParadiseTzu

Here in Texas, we are looking forward :dribble:to warm weather!  We also try our best to stop birds building nests under our front porch in the spring, we actually had a bird fly into the house when the front door was opened, that was a mess getting it out!

Your dogs sound delightful, I am so glad they are so enjoyable!

I have thought of you lately.  My den is a mess right now.  We had recent hail damage that damaged our roof and broke our skylights.  We had our roof replaced and just had them roof over rather than replace the skylights.  So now hubby is repairing the inside ceiling (where the skylights were).  The den ceilings are 17 feer high so he has built scaffolding that now stands in the middle of the floor.  Repairing a ceiling is a process of patching sheetrock, tape and bedding, texturing and finalling painting.  Which has to dry a day between each application.  Soooo, a slow process that is an eyesore to look at and a dusty mess to live with.  But I am proud of my 73 y.o. hubby that has climbed that scaffold many times this week and does beautiful work!  But not looking forward to the clean up!

p.s. Dont know what I tapped to cause my bulleted paragraphs!

• Like 3
Shihtzumummy2
30 minutes ago, ParadiseTzu said:
  • Here in Texas, we are looking forward :dribble:to warm weather!  We also try our best to stop birds building nests under our front porch in the spring, we actually had a bird fly into the house when the front door was opened, that was a mess getting it out!
  • Your dogs sound delightful, I am so glad they are so enjoyable!
  • I have thought of you lately.  My den is a mess right now.  We had recent hail damage that damaged our roof and broke our skylights.  We had our roof replaced and just had them roof over rather than replace the skylights.  So now hubby is repairing the inside ceiling (where the skylights were).  The den ceilings are 17 feer high so he has built scaffolding that now stands in the middle of the floor.  Repairing a ceiling is a process of patching sheetrock, tape and bedding, texturing and finalling painting.  Which has to dry a day between each application.  Soooo, a slow process that is an eyesore to look at and a dusty mess to live with.  But I am proud of my 73 y.o. hubby that has climbed that scaffold many times this week and does beautiful work!  But not looking forward to the clean up!
  • p.s. Dont know what I tapped to cause my bulleted paragraphs!

I feel for you honestly, however I am sure you will get there in the end. We are enjoying our new living areas so much, and the ease in keeping things clean is much easier than taking care of carpets.

• Like 4
Missysmom

So glad to hear Martha and Bob are continuing to do so well, what a joy it must be to watch them everyday! Oh and how exciting the ducks are laying, would love to see those babies!! Love love the picture of Martha and Bob! :throb:

Sandra, I've hit that bullet thingy numerous times myself- look to the right of the smiley face on the tool bar and you'll see it, just click it again and they go away! :) 

• Like 4
ParadiseTzu
51 minutes ago, Missysmom said:

So glad to hear Martha and Bob are continuing to do so well, what a joy it must be to watch them everyday! Oh and how exciting the ducks are laying, would love to see those babies!! Love love the picture of Martha and Bob! :throb:

Sandra, I've hit that bullet thingy numerous times myself- look to the right of the smiley face on the tool bar and you'll see it, just click it again and they go away! :) 

Thanks much, fixed it!

• Like 3
Summerangel

Hi Ellie, lovely to hear about Bob and Martha playing together. 

Awww how exciting baby ducklings. 

• Like 4
Shihtzumummy2
7 hours ago, Summerangel said:

Hi Ellie, lovely to hear about Bob and Martha playing together. 

Awww how exciting baby ducklings. 

Thank you Julia, yes very nice to have ducks doing their thing down at our pond. Once they hatch and are able to get into the pond I'll try to capture photos.

• Like 4
Summerangel
8 hours ago, Shihtzumummy2 said:

Thank you Julia, yes very nice to have ducks doing their thing down at our pond. Once they hatch and are able to get into the pond I'll try to capture photos.

That would be lovely, look forward to seeing those. 

We have chicken eggs in the class again this year. They are in the incubator and  should start hatching later today or tomorrow.. isnt it exciting when new life makes its way in the world. 

• Like 4
Shihtzumummy2
12 hours ago, Summerangel said:

That would be lovely, look forward to seeing those. 

We have chicken eggs in the class again this year. They are in the incubator and  should start hatching later today or tomorrow.. isnt it exciting when new life makes its way in the world. 

It sure is. We have many moaning cows now due to our Bulls bellowing night and day. This coming weekend hubby will bring the girls to the Bulls for mating for next spring, then the cycle will start all over again lol

• Like 3