Bentley got a home!

mr.coffee

This story starts with a Facebook post featuring a bad picture of a dog with twenty four hours to live.  Next thing you know, we're at Harris County Animal Shelter looking at dogs.  One of them was quarantined and categorized as "very aggressive."

I saw the body language of a fearful, stressed dog, not an overtly aggressive dog.  We filled out the paperwork, and last Saturday we picked up Bentley.

Bentley was snippy, and easily spooked, but responded well to treats, praise and a clicker.  He got me pretty good a few times, although I more or less asked for it.  I could see that he had some training, although he was clearly still trying to wrap his head around the situation and what he may have been through.  I wonder what kind of abuse he had seen, as he had a lot of issues with hands at first.  When I was able to pet him, I found that he was skin and bone, terribly malnourished.

Monday, we piled into a rental Tahoe for a business trip that couldn't be postponed, dogs & all.  We picked up Devon's girlfriend along the way, and Bentley quickly curled up at her feet for the bulk of the trip.

Over the next few days, this little guy has warmed up and integrated with the pack to an extent I wouldn't have believed!  He is so cuddly, very social, walks better than Harley, respond well to praise, and hasn't nipped, snapped or even yelled in days despite being handled and placed in social situations.  Harley has accepted him, and they get along well with no competitive behavior to speak of, even at meal times or cuddling!

I'll try to post pictures tomorrow, we'll be checking out and hitting the road home in the morning.

I love this little guy!

-m

20170704_091733.jpg

20170701_140130.jpg

IMG_20170627_152119.jpg

• Like 8
ParadiseTzu

Hey there Mike, so good to 'see' you.  Sounds like such a good deal for Bentley, I'll bet he will settle in more and more as he gets used to a good home.  Thanks so much for rescuing him.  How is Harley doing?  I have missed hearing about him!

• Like 7
PipsMom

Big hug to you Mike for rescuing this little angel. The last picture you posted reminds me of the first night I had Abby Lane.....So happy to hear he is settling in fast in your loving home. Looking forward to hearing more about him and seeing more pictures as he blooms into his true loving self

• Like 6
Missysmom

Oh what a sweetie Bentley is, bless you for rescuing him Mike! Can't wait to hear and see more of him and Harley, have missed you all!

• Like 6
mr.coffee

Thanks as always for the kind words, y'all!  We got home a little while ago, and Bentley doesn't seem to mind the transition from hotel to house much.  He's a good travel companion, never a complaint!  He loves to ride, and only had one accident at the hotel on the way to the elevator for a walk.  We're getting a bit of weather right now, and he's made it clear that he doesn't much go in for all this thunder.  Independence Day fireworks were a bit of fun as well, but his response is to come to us and curl up, which makes me happy.  He ran under the bed for a few minutes, but with the next thunderclap, I think he decided he felt safer with his new pack!

He's putting on some weight, I think.  We'll know just how much when we follow up at the vet Monday.  I've got him on a blend of the Sojos we feed to Har with some WholeHearted kibble added in, a combination which he seems to like.  I'll transition him to straight Sojos over time.  (The WholeHearted seems to get a decent review at dogfoodadvisor, and it was free, so hard to beat...)

We've been snapping pictures non-stop, I promise I'll get some more up.

Harley has been fairly well, he's developed dry eyes and gets cyclosporin drops every day.  His skin is still prone to allergies, and yeasty feet & ears are a constant battle.  He's got a cyst in a rather awkward place that we'll probably have drained soon, as it's continued to grow since the vet last examined it.  Other than that, same old spoiled boy!  He still hates cameras...

-m

• Like 4
ParadiseTzu

Thanks for the update on Harley!  I have a big dog that is petrified as soon as he hears thunder from far off and fireworks times are never good either.  His favorite place is curled up in the garage between the vehicle front tire and the wall!  Looking forward to more Bentley pics and maybe Harley wont know he was captured in one too.

• Like 5
mr.coffee

Got a picture or two. Today was bath day, I think he's had positive experiences with baths in his previous life. He's curled up in the corner of the couch with Harley while they finish dying. They walk together, Harley walks like a dufus but they're getting better at it.  Bentley sits where he wants...

-m

p.s. - Tomorrow, we go back to the vet for a follow-up; after a week of antibiotics, he seems to be breathing easier although he is prone to backward sneezing.  He quickly figured out that it helps if he lets us stick a finger over his nose and force him to breathe through his mouth.

20170707_002237.jpg

20170710_163057.jpg

FB_IMG_1499719295664.jpg

20170709_173630(0).jpg

• Like 6
Shihtzumummy2
4 hours ago, mr.coffee said:

Got a picture or two. Today was bath day, I think he's had positive experiences with baths in his previous life. He's curled up in the corner of the couch with Harley while they finish dying. They walk together, Harley walks like a dufus but they're getting better at it.  Bentley sits where he wants...

-m

p.s. - Tomorrow, we go back to the vet for a follow-up; after a week of antibiotics, he seems to be breathing easier although he is prone to backward sneezing.  He quickly figured out that it helps if he lets us stick a finger over his nose and force him to breathe through his mouth.

20170707_002237.jpg

20170710_163057.jpg

FB_IMG_1499719295664.jpg

20170709_173630(0).jpg

I do applaud you for what you gave done for Bentley, he will turn into the most loyal of souls I just know it.

• Like 7
PipsMom

I don't know which picture is the most precious...the one where he is curled up in your pants or on the sofa with his mate Harley. So happy he is settling in with your family and finding out life can be good after neglect. Bless you

• Like 5
ParadiseTzu

Love the fact that they curl up together.  My two have been together for 2.5 years now, and while they do get along, Sassy Mae is not going so far as to curl up with Willie.

• Like 7
Missysmom

Oh my gosh what precious pictures! So happy he's settled in so fast, I know he's a true joy and blessing in your life!

• Like 5
Marlene

Is that a holster?  Inside the belt.......detective?

20170707_002237.thumb.jpg.d5bdf1e5c3a02cc94f2f57ceeaecbe40.jpg

• Like 6
Sunlite

Wow how exciting! So happy to hear Harley has a brother and how awesome of you to take this lttle man in! Looking forward to many updates... 

• Like 6
mr.coffee
18 hours ago, ParadiseTzu said:

Love the fact that they curl up together.  My two have been together for 2.5 years now, and while they do get along, Sassy Mae is not going so far as to curl up with Willie.

I was unsure of how Harley would feel about a new dog in the house, but he's been really wonderful - he checks on Bentley, tolerates being stepped on and crowded, and doesn't really show signs of jealousy or competitiveness.

13 hours ago, Marlene said:

Is that a holster?  Inside the belt.......detective?

20170707_002237.thumb.jpg.d5bdf1e5c3a02cc94f2f57ceeaecbe40.jpg

It is.  I've been carrying consistently since we opened our first store. I recently got my License To Carry, and now carry pretty much everywhere.

8 hours ago, Sunlite said:

Wow how exciting! So happy to hear Harley has a brother and how awesome of you to take this lttle man in! Looking forward to many updates... 

Thanks!

Latest, today we went to the dogtor, had a follow up and immunizations, and Harley got his cyst drained.

-m

20170711_122218.jpg

20170711_124705.jpg

• Like 9
Missysmom

Great pics, they sure look like brothers don't they?!! So glad the vet trip went well!

• Like 4
mr.coffee
21 minutes ago, Missysmom said:

Great pics, they sure look like brothers don't they?!! So glad the vet trip went well!

They certainly favor each other. Bentley is a little lanky, lean, long in limb and long in face while Harley is more compact and stout, but they look great together.  I love Bentley's color, he has all these shades of tan, brown, taupe, gray, hints of red and brilliant whites.

-m

• Like 5
Summerangel

What an amazing thing to do. Bentley has landed on his feet with you guys. 

• Like 3
Shihtzumummy2
On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 6:37 PM, mr.coffee said:

I was unsure of how Harley would feel about a new dog in the house, but he's been really wonderful - he checks on Bentley, tolerates being stepped on and crowded, and doesn't really show signs of jealousy or competitiveness.

It is.  I've been carrying consistently since we opened our first store. I recently got my License To Carry, and now carry pretty much everywhere.

Thanks!

Latest, today we went to the dogtor, had a follow up and immunizations, and Harley got his cyst drained.

-m

20170711_122218.jpg

20170711_124705.jpg

How gorgeous

• Like 3