Buddy and Fancy

ParadiseTzu

These are my first Shih Tzu.  Buddy was born April 1987 and died August 2003.  Fancy was born July 1987 and died May 2003.  They were not related but were inseparable.  We got each when they were 6 weeks old and got them 4 months apart.  They were both registered AKC but Buddy was not very close to the standard, his nose was very long and as a puppy, his hair was sparse. It improved with age. He was an exceptionally smart dog.  Fancy was beautiful and the sweetest thing but as Pam has said, dumb as a box of rocks!  One sweet thing I remember, I would sit in a rocking chair, spread all 4 legs out to their sides, her chest on mine and rock her as long as I wanted.  She loved it, none of the rest will even allow it in that position.

Buddy was a grumpy old soul, but very cute and very lovable.  He was always busy, didn't go for cuddling much.  Hubby always called Fancy, Fancy Pants, so after a few years, we all did.  Buddy was very protective of her.  At the groomers they would have to put them in the same cage or he wouldn't let them handle him.

When we got Buddy, I did not even know what they were supposed to look like.  That's what kind of dog the kids wanted so that's what we got.  I had no idea how to care for one and just went by how I had always kept dogs most of my life.  Outside in the back yard unless too hot or too cold. Oh, They came in when too hot or cold but spent a lot of time out.   I worked and did my best to keep them brushed but mostly they were just shaved off at the groomers regularly.  I always feel so sorry and guilty when I think about these 2 sweet little dogs and how I pamper my 2 now.  I'm so glad I learned better.  Hubby and I both still miss Buddy and Fancy Pants.  Here's an iPad scanned photo with the overhead light reflecting on the scan.  They are a year old in this "Pet Furtography Photo"

IMG_0011.thumb.JPG.ad05f1daab125c41ceff0b6d46d6fe13.JPG

Edited by ParadiseTzu
  • Like 9
missy dawn

What sweet memories you have of them. They are both beautiful.you can always tell people who really love their furbabies,..." They describe them in detail just like our skin kids" all of mine are natured different too, and I could describe each and everyone.love how you put such sweet thought, and memories down Sandra for us to share.sending you a big hug (((hugs)))

• Like 7
Marlene

Such sweet cuties :-)

We probably ALL had a dog(s) back in the day who was treated "like a dog".

Our first family dog (for the kids) was spoiled and spent most of her time in the house but she ate Pedigree kibble and canned.  Didn't have vaccs past the first ones, had very few vet visits.  She was very independent and didn't play with other dogs.......so many birds to chase and ground squirrels to try and dig up.  If we ran 3 miles - she ran 6 and could go forever.  But she passed in her sleep at 18 yrs old, naughty and smart and very, very loved.

I don't have any pictures on this laptop but she was a tri-color Beagle/Terrier mix

• Like 7
Summerangel

Awwww they are beautiful ? Thank you for sharing the photo and some of your memories 

• Like 6
ParadiseTzu
1 hour ago, Marlene said:

Such sweet cuties :-)

We probably ALL had a dog(s) back in the day who was treated "like a dog".

Our first family dog (for the kids) was spoiled and spent most of her time in the house but she ate Pedigree kibble and canned.  Didn't have vaccs past the first ones, had very few vet visits.  She was very independent and didn't play with other dogs.......so many birds to chase and ground squirrels to try and dig up.  If we ran 3 miles - she ran 6 and could go forever.  But she passed in her sleep at 18 yrs old, naughty and smart and very, very loved.

I don't have any pictures on this laptop but she was a tri-color Beagle/Terrier mix

Yes, I live the quote that is in your siggy.  I remember giving them lots of baths and blowdrys, LOL!  But I know  left them out while at work on days that I thought the temp was fine. And Sassy Mae now tells me it's too hot at those temps, she is heading for the door in.  Course, then again, it's never too hot for Willie.

Thanks for letting me share them with ya'll.  They have come alive for me this afternoon.  Not in a sad way, after this many years, but in remembering all the good memories.

• Like 7
Sunlite

Thanks, Sandra for sharing Buddy and Fancy with us, thats a beautiful picture! They were both so close in age, both at the beginning and end of their lives. I thought for sure that once baby passed, Emma wouldn't last long but she's still doing well for an old girl.

• Like 6
ParadiseTzu
30 minutes ago, Sunlite said:

Thanks, Sandra for sharing Buddy and Fancy with us, thats a beautiful picture! They were both so close in age, both at the beginning and end of their lives. I thought for sure that once baby passed, Emma wouldn't last long but she's still doing well for an old girl.

I'll bet Emma enjoys the rest of the crew she lives with.  She may not show it but she does and they have kept her young.

• Like 5
PipsMom

Oh what beautiful paws and it was so sad to read that they passed within months apart....but like you said,  they did everything together and were happy that way. So glad you shared your memory as it spurred me to find my past Shih Tzu  ...just don't know what CD I put it on now. Anything thank you ❤️

• Like 5
beebalm

Awwww I love them ?❤️

I love their names - perfect ❤️?

When you would talk about them, I always wished you shared a picture but remember you saying you didn't take pictures back then.

So glad you gave this pretty picture. Love her dainty bows :blush:

Did you mean 2003 they both passed away?

Thanks so much for sharing ..

• Like 6
ParadiseTzu
1 hour ago, beebalm said:

Awwww I love them ?❤️

I love their names - perfect ❤️?

When you would talk about them, I always wished you shared a picture but remember you saying you didn't take pictures back then.

So glad you gave this pretty picture. Love her dainty bows :blush:

Did you mean 2003 they both passed away?

Thanks so much for sharing ..

These were made at a pet store and are the only ones I have and scanned them in today.   Prized photos and they are framed in the bookcase in our den.  Yes, they both passed away in 2003, 4 months apart.  As for the bows, they would come from the groomers with both of them in bows.  He took his out as soon as he got home.  She wore hers until I took them out when I bathed her next.

• Like 5
Crinkly

Lovely.

We never think the pain of their loss will fade, but it does, and then we get to keep the good bits forever.

Hug

I am taking more photos now than ever before (thanks to the technology we have nowadays), and I hope I never lose them (the photos) they bring such joy.

• Like 5
Marlene
8 hours ago, Crinkly said:

I am taking more photos now than ever before (thanks to the technology we have nowadays), and I hope I never lose them (the photos) they bring such joy.

I am always encouraging people to get prints of more of their pics.........SO many wonderful shots are seen once (by a lot of people when sent around) but then deleted or lost.  I think a lot of future adults are going to be missing many, many "hard copies" of themselves as they grew up. I am constantly "stealing pics of my family from FB etc and having prints made so I can look at them as they change and grow and as I walk past the display of them upstairs.

OK - off my soapbox :blahblah1:

• Like 4
ParadiseTzu

I am always encouraging people to get prints of more of their pics.........SO many wonderful shots are seen once (by a lot of people when sent around) but then deleted or lost.  I think a lot of future adults are going to be missing many, many "hard copies" of themselves as they grew up. I am constantly "stealing pics of my family from FB etc and having prints made so I can look at them as they change and grow and as I walk past the display of them upstairs.

I have that same thought.  Maybe it's because I have pics from as far back as my grandparents era.  Not only do I love seeing pics of those no longer with us, I love looking at the clothes, homes and cars of that era.  I have digital photos of my babies but also have 2 albums of prints of them.  They are just as prized as the albums of my young children.

• Like 5
PipsMom

Your so right Marlene. Old prints from the 1800 to 1950  are my main subjects to restore that have become damaged or discoloured and not even seen or remembered by the digital generations. Prints can last forever....not true when you lose all your old heirloom pictures when the computer crashes or the CD gets scratched or cracked.........gone forever

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
Marlene

I am fiercely protective of my photos and my family knows it.  One of my daughters took a few while she was house-sitting for me and I was furious, made her give them back.  I have so few pictures from my childhood and next to nothing from my parents or grandparents/relatives.  When I got a computer and started searching for relatives I would be in tears every time I was able to locate or receive an old picture of family I'd never met not heard little about

55 minutes ago, ParadiseTzu said:

I have that same thought.  Maybe it's because I have pics from as far back as my grandparents era.  Not only do I love seeing pics of those no longer with us, I love looking at the clothes, homes and cars of that era.  I have digital photos of my babies but also have 2 albums of prints of them.  They are just as prized as the albums of my young children.

I was raised as an only child - having 3 half siblings that were grown when I was born.  Having never met or seen most of my relatives I am constantly looking for one who looks like me.  Took my breath away when I saw an aunt (sister of my Daddy) who looked SO much like me when we were both teenagers.

• Like 4
  • 5 months later...
Amy0515

Buddy and Fancy Pants were just beautiful babies!  I know that they lived a good life with you and your family.  It is obvious that they were so loved!  :love:

• Like 2