Just adopted 8 Year old Rescue

Hi,

I am new to this forum. Think this is an awesome idea so thank you to whomever set this up!

We just adopted a rescue who is 8 years old. Zoey came from deplorable conditions. She has been an absolute joy in the 2 weeks she has been with us.  Zoey has cataracts and dry eye (KCS) and am curious to know if there are any highly recommended vitamins (organic) or any natural remedies  you can make to help delay the progression of the cataracts? Help with her dry eye?  She is on an anti-inflammatory for KCS. 

Also, Zoey is pretty well potty trained thanks to her foster mom but she has been "marking" my livingroom carpet. I haven't caught her in the act so telling her no after the fact is pointless. We've chosen not to crate her given the conditions she was in for 8 years (poor baby). Any ideas on how We can break her desire to mark?

Appreciate all feedback.

image.jpeg

• Like 2
PipsMom

:welcomeani:  Annette and Zoey to our family........She is such a pretty girl, no wonder you fell in love with her :dede:

I could repeat what all is in the article I'm sending but it pretty much sums it up with a neglected rescue and the baggage that comes along with them, never the less we love them even more.    http://dogsbarn.com/how-to-stop-your-dog-peeing-in-the-house/

My rescue Abby Lane came with peeing accidents, yet she was only 1 at the time but with patience and lots of time she rarely pee pee's out of her bathroom zone that I have set up in our bathroom..first step is to lay down a puppy pad in a out of the way area, blot it with some of her urine to scent mark it....that way she will learn she always has a emergency " I gotta go Now place!" if she cant hold it or feel stressed due to age. There are also doggy diapers thats washable if you think she is having bladder issues that can save your carpet in the short term.

I don't have any advise on natural dry eye remedies and will let someone more experienced answer that question. But I did locate this link

https://www.natural-dog-health-remedies.com/dry-eye-in-dogs.html

Again Welcome to the family, looking forward to hearing all about Zoey

• Like 3
ParadiseTzu

Welcome Annette and Zoey!  She is so cute, so glad you brought her into your home.  Thanks for sharing her pic.  That’s a good article Pip’s Mom provided and hopefully someone comes along with advice for her dry eyes.

• Like 3
Pawz4me

Welcome!

Unfortunately,  I can tell you from personal experience (mine and DH's) that dry eye isn't something that usually responds much, if at all, to natural treatment. DH is on a super high dose of prescription Omega 3/fish oil due to high cholesterol and it doesn't make a bit of difference in his dry eye. Use OTC artificial tears and/or a lubricating ointment often (the Genteal brand is often recommended for dogs) and a prescription ointment if the vet recommends it. My understanding is that most dogs respond well to the cyclosporine drops typically used to treat dry eye (cyclosporine is the active ingredient in Restasis used for human dry eye).

• Like 3
Missysmom

Welcome Annette and Zoey, so glad you joined us and bless you for rescuing this gorgeous little girl, love her pic!

One question on the marking, did you have pets before? I’ve had several that have marked in a home that had previous pets (either ours or the prior owners), I guess trying to make it ‘their’ home. One thing you want to be sure is to use something like Natures Miracle to clean it up so you make sure to get their scent up.

i totally agree with Pawz on the dry eye, I have it and our last Shepard had it. The drops or ointment the vet gave have helped our pup a lot but I haven’t found anything natural that has helped. I too use the OTC drops like 4-5 times a day and I do understand some can be used on dogs but I always used the ones from the vet. 

Can’t  wait to hear all about Zoey and see more pics!!

• Like 3
Marlene

Be careful in the wind.......a big gust might catch your angel wings and carry you off! 

I would like to see you take Zoey to an opthalmologist.  Dogs with cataracts often develop glaucoma which is painful.  Since Zoey is new to you - you might not know if her behavior has changed (often they just become more quiet and withdrawn).

We "foster failed" with a Boxer who had juvenile cataracts (among other health problems).  She was basically blind (believe she could see light and dark) and we just handled it for 12  years. She was a character and just as naughty as any seeing Boxer.  In the last couple years of her life - she developed glaucoma and was in pain.  

Thank you for your big heart and going to rescue :emot-angel:

• Like 4
Pawz4me

Marlene -- Doesn't your regular vet measure the pressure for glaucoma? Mine does. Wondering if that's unusual for a regular vet to do?

• Like 3
Marlene

Yes a reg vet can measure pressure for glaucoma.  

It's just with our Lulu - Queen of Everything -  had eye problems from the time we "fostered failed" her we were under the care of an opthalmologist.

Yes the reg vet can do a pressure test.....but *I*  (with our experience with an eye compromised dog) would be more comfotable because she's a senior and has a bad background.

Just knowing she is in a lovely happy ever after home .....wants to make sure she's not in pain.

• Like 5

Hi  all,

Many thanks for the helpful suggestions. Zoey has been to the vet twice. The vet confirmed KCS and prescribed Tacrolimus .02% eye drops. I also found some lubricating drops (I-drops) specific for canines. The lubricating drops have helped clear her eyes ALOT. The Tacro irritates her eyes a bit (I have been administering them 2 weeks now) and she hides her face (laugh). The I-drops lubricant is welcoming to her and she allows me to administer without any issue. KCS in some instances can be immune mediated hence my question around natural remedies to consider.

The other reason for the vet visit was food allergies. Based on the vets recommendation, I switched Zoey's diet to Royal Canin.  To my horror, I realized only yesterday it contains many low biological value ingredients and hydrolyzed soy protein is the 2nd ingredient. So I went out and bought her a small bag of Acana. I have also been rubbing her tummy with organic coconut oil to help mitigate the constant scratching which seems to help. I have made it a habit to clean her paws and give her a good wipe down when we return from our walks to also cut down on allergens.

Despite all of her what I consider "small challenges",  Zoey has been getting tons of love and her personality is coming out. She loves big dogs in the neighborhood; but small prissy dogs? not so much. Zoey is not a barker but when she sees the toy poodle with her fancy dress, it sets her off.  It's hilarious! She also loves to play fetch and belly rubs ?.  Zoey is the perfect fur-kid! We love her to pieces! 

We will look for a vet ophthalmologist for Zoey.

P.S. Nature's Miracle worked!

• Like 5

It sounds like you are doing everything possible for Zoey.  Bless you for loving her little loving self so much!  I have found that girls can be worse "markers" than boys, so can't advise you there.  My boys are usually good unless one of the girls is in-season, but my girls will pee on anything that hits the floor, lol.  We'll all look forward to hearing all about Zoey's adventures with you.

• Like 3
Missysmom

So glad you found some eye drops that are working and to hear the nature’s miracle worked! Great idea to rub coconut oil on her you may want to also put some on her food and give to her as a treat, mine love it and it’s so good for them! Mine also have a lot of environmental allergies and we all now use local honey which has helped tremendously. Just drizzle a little on her food or put in some yogurt, which is also great for the itching.

• Like 2
Marlene

For the itchies.......you might want to do a search here (and on the internet) for CYTOPOINT.  Some of us here as well as a couple of Boxer people I know have had good luck with it.

http://www.chattertzu.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25681-cytopoint/&tab=comments#comment-317915

• Like 3