Now I am really stumped. I have posted on here that I changed Maxine's food a couple of days ago to Orijen Puppy and extolled the virtues of how she is so much more happy and calm and LOVES the food as opposed to what she had been eating since the beginning and which she was not crazy about. It was suggested by my vet after many visits that because of her periodic loose stools and after trying lots of different things like a daily probiotic, flagyl for acute episodes, that the next step was to change her food. I didn't really think that was going to help but was I ever wrong. This has been a pup who has been restless, kind of ADHD, not settled, wanting to go out like 15-20 times a day, just driving me nuts. After starting this new food it is night and day how different she is. I mentioned to our breeder, a highly regarded show person of 30+ years that I had switched to Orijen and she stated that Orijen was terrible for small breed dogs and that it would kill her liver. Please weigh in here with your opinions. My previous shih tzu who passed away in August had very high ALK Phos liver enzymes and now I'm wondering if I caused it. She lived to be 13 and ultimately passed from two large masses in her abdomen but having the elevated liver enzymes made it not possible to do teeth cleaning. 

Edited by LisaETA
grammar
beebalm

I feed my baby boy Fromm's Gold Small Breed Adult Dry Dog Food  - 1/4 cup twice a day with 1/3 cup cooked green beans twice a day.

Plus snacks of cut up zucchini and green bell pepper. 

When he was under one years old - I fed him Fromm's Gold Puppy Dry Dog Food.

• Like 1
Missysmom

Missy has terrible tummy problems for several years now, we have changed foods so many times and did try Orijen for awhile but it had too high of protein for her... we now use holistic select salmon. Her vet said salmon was one of the better proteins to have Missy on with all of her tummy problems, so far she’s doing well on it and we’re hoping that continues.

missy dawn

Bristolle Noel and Dolly eat grain free wellness core and earth born holistic meadow feast grain free

• Like 1
Crinkly

If i understand you right, you have experienced one pupfood that sends her hyper, and another that doesn’t.

this suggests to me that there may well be other foods out there that may well have similar effects - in which case, I am quite sure you can find one with lower protein, if you want.

personally, I think dogs are designed by their evolution to eat a pretty high protein diet.  And as a growing pup, I wouldn’t switch her away from a high quality, highly nutritious food to one that is less so.  So if you do choose to go lower protein, I would be careful.

My two are on a raw food diet.  

60% Chicken & Bone, 30% Green Tripe, 10% Fruit & Vegetables (Apples, Carrot, Broccoli, Parsley), Flax Oil and Seagreens Kelp.

Analysis (g / 100g)

Moisture: 70.5
Protein: 15.2
Fat: 10.3
Ash: 2.5
Crude Fibre: 0.5

and

90% Beef with Green Tripe, 10% Fruit & Vegetables (Parsley, Broccoli, Carrot, Apple), Flax Oil and Seagreens Kelp.

Typical Analysis (g/100g)

Moisture: 69.5
Protein: 17.6
Fat: 10.9
Ash: 1.0
Crude Fibre: 0.4

I have no idea how that compares with what you are feeding, and it is difficult to compare dried food with wet.

am confident that this is not too high protein for them, even though they are 90% animal content, although I do agree that when their little bodies start to fail, then they may need different macronutrients.

Please don’t feel guilty about what food you have fed before.  I am certain that you made every decision in good faith, and we all get ill with something, eventually.  It is just how it works.

• Like 1