Lexie's Birthday Muffins

Sophie's Haven

Tomorrow is Lexie's 4th Birthday, I wanted to share her Birthday Muffin Receipe........

Muffin:

2 Cups shredded carrots

3 Eggs

1/2 cups plus 2 Tablespoon unsweetned applesauce

2 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 Cup rolled oats

1/2 Cup coconut flour

350 degree oven for 25 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.

Spray cups of muffin tin. In large bowl stir together carrots, eggs and applesauce. Mix cinnamon, oats and flour into wet mixture until well blended. Spoon mixture into muffin tin. The dough will be thick, do not worry about over filling muffin tins as they do not rise.

Cool completely on wire rack before frosting or serving.

Frosting:

8 oz. softened cream cheese

1/4 Cup unsweetned applesauce

Blend ingredients with hand mixer until well blended. Spoon into pastry bag to decorate or us spatula to spread frosting.

Cupcakes stay fresh up to 2 weeks in frig.....freeze up to 2 months. If you freeze do not frost , wait until cupcakes have thawed before frosting.

The smell of the cinnamon while they were baking was wonderful. They make perfect individule little cakes for the guys. They did not taste bad as I was able to sample a few crumbs that broke off. I have 3 girls that have Birthdays in December and I think I am going to play with this receipe by adding 2 Tablespoon of chopped fresh cranberries and 2 Tablespoon of crushed pineapple and a sprinkle of finely chopped coconut.

The receipe calls for 3 cups of whole wheat flour, I replaced the whole wheat flour with 1/2 C. coconut flour. You also could use almond flour or whilte rice flour, no more that 1/2 C. when using these types of flours.

I will have some happy paws come tomorrow for Lexie's special treat......pictures to follow!!!

Edited by Sophie's Haven
  • Like 8
Missysmom

Aww a very Happy bday to Lexie tomorrow! Thanks so much for sharin her recipe, will be anxious to try this one! :bdaycake:

• Like 2
Scout's Mom

Lucky Lexie!! The muffins sound delicious, I am sure Scout will go nuts for them! Thanks for sharing!!

• Like 2

:happybday: Lexie! Sure looks like your Party will be a huge success!

Need any help with the dishes? :whistling:

Vicki

• Like 2
babybluegirl

Oh those muffins sound delicious. I would love to try making these for Riley. Trouble is, if you made the batch of 12 or even halved the batch, I'd have to eat out of my freezer so that I have room to stock some extra muffins for Riley :)

So, hope you don't mind but I have a few questions about the recipe:

2 Cups shredded carrots - do you know roughly how many carrots that equates to? (Don't worry if you don't).

3 Eggs - Medium? Large eggs? Size matter?

1/2 plus 2 Tablespoon unsweetned applesauce - do you mean 2.5 tablespoons?

The receipe calls for 3 cups of whole wheat flour, I replaced the whole wheat flour with 1/2 C. coconut flour. You also could use almond flour or whilte rice flour, no more that 1/2 C. when using these types of flours.

Can I ask, why you opted not to use whole wheat flour? Do one of your paws have an allergy to this? Is this not a "healthy" flour to use? Some other reason? If you didn't use three cups of whole wheat flour, then is 1/2 C mean 1/2 cup? Why do you only need 1/2 a cup please? Sorry for my questions... I really don't do much cooking! lol.

Looking forward to your reply so I can bake these for Riley when he's 100% better :)

babybluegirl

8:58pm

PS: Will one cupcake a day (if I made 6) be "bad", should it be more like one a week? Thanks.

Sophie's Haven

I read over that receipe twice before I posted it...........on the applesauce it is 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons. I have never been a fan of using all purpose flour or whole wheat flour when it comes to making things for the paws......I don't use if for me unless I have to. I prefer using almond, coconut, or rice flour. Those flours and I really do not know why have more volumn so 1/2 C. almond flour is about the same as 3 cups regular flour when adding to wet ingredients. I use small carrots and when I fill my shredder tube twice it is two cups. I use large eggs when I bake. My guys are getting a whole cupcake tonight but I will be cutting the leftovers in half. My next batch I am going to make in the mini cupcake holders which will be bite size just for them. I think Riley will like them.......carrots are very healthy.

• Like 5
babybluegirl

I read over that receipe twice before I posted it...........on the applesauce it is 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons. I have never been a fan of using all purpose flour or whole wheat flour when it comes to making things for the paws......I don't use if for me unless I have to. I prefer using almond, coconut, or rice flour. Those flours and I really do not know why have more volumn so 1/2 C. almond flour is about the same as 3 cups regular flour when adding to wet ingredients. I use small carrots and when I fill my shredder tube twice it is two cups. I use large eggs when I bake. My guys are getting a whole cupcake tonight but I will be cutting the leftovers in half. My next batch I am going to make in the mini cupcake holders which will be bite size just for them. I think Riley will like them.......carrots are very healthy.

Thank you for clarifying all my questions :) Yes, carrots are healthy. Riley doesn't always like them though - will knaw on a raw peeled carrot, but turns his nose up at raw chopped up carrot on his breakfast/dinner. I think it's the way they're cut as well?!? I once gave him cooked carrots in honey and he ate them all! Another time, he left them?!?

babybluegirl

10:36am

• Like 3
  • 5 months later...
babybluegirl

I hope to bake these for Riley's birthday.  Is it best to cook them fresh on the day, or the day before is okay?

I don't have the flours listed, are "rice" or "almond" or "coconut" flours easy to find/buy in the local supermarkets?

Rolled oats - can I just use normal porridge oats that we eat for breakfast?  Do I have to put them in the blender so it's fine?

Thanks for reading.

babybluegirl

7:14pm

• Like 3
babybluegirl

Right, I'm off to start Riley's muffins... wish me luck.

babybluegirl

8:52pm

• Like 2
babybluegirl

They're in the oven...

babybluegirl

9:18pm

• Like 1
PipsMom

Oh he's going to go crazy smelling them cook! Hope you enjoy them Riley!

I copied the recipe too to try.....let us know how they turn out :)

• Like 2
babybluegirl

Oh he's going to go crazy smelling them cook! Hope you enjoy them Riley!

I copied the recipe too to try.....let us know how they turn out :)

​The cinnamon smells delicious!  They're just on the cooling rack and I've given Riley a couple of small pieces/crumbs that have been stuck on the muffin tin and he's wolved them down!

I just made half a batch of the recipe, so made six muffins and will keep some for Riley but give some to his doggie friends tomorrow when we go to the park for his birthday treat.

babybluegirl

9:55pm

• Like 3
babybluegirl

Well, they were a hit with Riley and his friend :)  We popped to the woods for a little walk and stopped off at a little cafe for a drink and the boys polished off half a muffin each :)  I will give Riley his other half later.

babybluegirl

2:39pm

• Like 4
babybluegirl

Okay, so seeing as this recipe is a keeper, I have copied and pasted Sophie's Haven's instructions above into a Word document so that I can print it out and laminate it for the cupboard.  Next time, I'll just use the laminated instruction sheet instead of having to log onto here to find the ingredients/instructions.

If it's okay with Sophie's Haven I'll post the pdf file for everyone else to save and use. 

babybluegirl

8:55pm

• Like 4
Sophie's Haven

Sounds like Riley had a Happy Birthday!!! Lexie will be delighted that he enjoyed her birthday muffin recipe..........glad it was liked by all.

Happy Belated Birthday Riley!!!!!!

• Like 3
babybluegirl

Sophie's Haven - Riley has one left, he loves it!  Do you mind me posting the recipe you've shared above as a pdf file?

Let me know,

babybluegirl

4:53pm

• Like 1
Sophie's Haven

Alex you go right a head and post.........if someone can make this for their paws I think that is great. Glad Riley liked them. Lucy has a Birthday in a couple of weeks and I am thinking we will be having Lexie's Birthday Muffins for her day!!!

• Like 1