21 Not-So-Intelligent Dog Breeds

So I was reading this article and low and behold our baby's breed popped up as #11. Read here what they say about the Tzu:

http://www.dogshow.com/21-not-so-intelligent-dog-breeds/11/

The other dogs in this article are quite interesting too.

• Like 5

So I was reading this article and low and behold our baby's breed popped up as #11. Read here what they say about the Tzu:

http://www.dogshow.com/21-not-so-intelligent-dog-breeds/11/

The other dogs in this article are quite interesting too.

number 11??? hehehee

my baby girl has separation anxiety,,,she would start licking herself toooo much when am away... :( :( :( :( :(

so i make sure she is not alone...wonder if she is half cat!!! :unsure::wacko::o:D

• Like 2

I didn't go through the whole list (just the first 11) but I agree for the most part. Anyone else notice that the majority of the dogs in the first 11 are Hounds? I have always said:

Terriers are nuts

Hounds are dumb

Working, Herding and Sporting dogs need too much exercise

This leaves me with select individuals from the Toy and Non-Sporting groups, which works perfectly for me lol!

I actually own one Shih Tzu that is really smart and very trainable, but it's not something the Breed is known for. If you look at the records, there are VERY few obedience and agility-titled Shih Tzu and there is a REASON for this. Actually, most Shih Tzu love agility but they tend to do it their own way, which does not make for qualifying scores. ;) The rest of my Tzu range from average in intelligence to dumber-than-a-box-of-rocks. That last one would be Drake, who has literally gotten stuck in a corner and had to think a bit to figure out how to extricate himself from his predicament. Every time a judge would take his head in their hands and breathe, "Would you look at that face!", I would always reply, "Yes, he's gorgeous. But he's dumber than a box of rocks." They loved it. It also usually made them forget to check his bite (all those missing incisors). If they DID go for the bite, I would say, "Oh, I wouldn't do that if I were you." and again they would usually laugh and not do the bite. Note: I made sure I never showed him to a "tooth fairy", but he met every "head-hunter" out there!

• Like 7

I didn't go through the whole list (just the first 11) but I agree for the most part. Anyone else notice that the majority of the dogs in the first 11 are Hounds? I have always said:

Terriers are nuts

Hounds are dumb

Working, Herding and Sporting dogs need too much exercise

This leaves me with select individuals from the Toy and Non-Sporting groups, which works perfectly for me lol!

I actually own one Shih Tzu that is really smart and very trainable, but it's not something the Breed is known for. If you look at the records, there are VERY few obedience and agility-titled Shih Tzu and there is a REASON for this. Actually, most Shih Tzu love agility but they tend to do it their own way, which does not make for qualifying scores. ;) The rest of my Tzu range from average in intelligence to dumber-than-a-box-of-rocks. That last one would be Drake, who has literally gotten stuck in a corner and had to think a bit to figure out how to extricate himself from his predicament. Every time a judge would take his head in their hands and breathe, "Would you look at that face!", I would always reply, "Yes, he's gorgeous. But he's dumber than a box of rocks." They loved it. It also usually made them forget to check his bite (all those missing incisors). If they DID go for the bite, I would say, "Oh, I wouldn't do that if I were you." and again they would usually laugh and not do the bite. Note: I made sure I never showed him to a "tooth fairy", but he met every "head-hunter" out there!

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!,,that was funny! but yeah,,my tzus lack the problem solving skills ,,,untill now one of my boys is not potty trained,,he just like to do it whenever he wants sometimes,,,

Pawz4me

I think the author needs to spend a bit of time with a dictionary studying the difference between "independent" and "not-so-intelligent." 'Cause he really seems to have the two greatly confused. Unfortunately, when it comes to dogs many people do.

And I did notice he doesn't give a source for his list, although it appears that he took it straight from Stanley Coren's book The Intelligence of Dogs. In addition to being vocabulary challenged, it appears he might not understand much about plagiarism, either. ;) Which kind of makes me wonder if the author just might find himself on a list of "not so intelligent" humans. ;)

I know one thing -- If I'm ever lost in the wilderness I sure hope there are a few dozen of those "not so intelligent" Bloodhounds looking for me. ;)

• Like 9
Summerangel

I think the author needs to spend a bit of time with a dictionary studying the difference between "independent" and "not-so-intelligent." 'Cause he really seems to have the two greatly confused. Unfortunately, when it comes to dogs many people do.

And I did notice he doesn't give a source for his list, although it appears that he took it straight from Stanley Coren's book The Intelligence of Dogs. In addition to being vocabulary challenged, it appears he might not understand much about plagiarism, either. ;) Which kind of makes me wonder if the author just might find himself on a list of "not so intelligent" humans. ;)

I know one thing -- If I'm ever lost in the wilderness I sure hope there are a few dozen of those "not so intelligent" Bloodhounds looking for me. ;)

Haha!! Lol ;)

• Like 1
Shihtzumummy2

As far as I'm concerned my two boys, have proven to be the easiest of all my previous dogs to train. I have always had two dogs, usually either English Cockers or Cavalier King Charles. I always had a male and a female of the same breed and colour combinations. Always had them fixed at an early stage, usually around the five to six month time frame. I have loved them all unreservedly. I can however say, training the mandatory commands with all of my dogs was different for all of them.

These two boys of mine are so very different, however I knew that from day one, and so my technique was adjusted to the individual dog. At puppy pre-school Bob wet himself with fright at the sound tests, i.e. thunder, aeroplanes and fireworks etc. Now none of those sounds bother him at all. Sam couldn't have cared less at class, but once home he for a short time reacted to loud noises. They both received their certificates on graduation, so that was very rewarding.

On recalling them when out in the garden, which is one and a half acres set into the middle of our farm, a rather large area for two small dogs, as you can imagine, there are heaps of places for them to hide from me. With just patience and reward and four years into it, all I have to call out is " Sam, Bob, come treat time" Sam will come at the speed of lightening on the first come, but not Bob, he will come after about the third call! Bob has to think about it, or he prefers what he has found in foraging rather than the yummy treat I offer. I don't get upset with him, I just tell him good come, because he always comes anyway. I don't believe its a lack of intelligence, I just think it's a lack of motivation about the treats lol. He seems to be getting better, so maybe with age he has decided to just be a good boy lol. They are both very good at playing with their toys, they are fabulous retrievers, which pleases my hubby no end. Out in their play area which is a huge part of the back garden, and fenced so is very safe for them when I'm busy out in the main garden, they play to their hearts content.

As for being good watch dogs OMG they are the very best. My spaniels would allow anyone to enter our property, but not these two, no one gets in without my knowing. I love that about them. they guard me so well. I'm isolated for most of the day, so having noisy dogs when alerted is a must for me. I'm proud of my boys, and I know my hubby is too.

Thanks for reading

• Like 9

Well, as a tzu owner of two very intelligent pups, I took offense a bit :) Even though I shouldn't...So, I replied to the article :D If it's approved, you'll be able to see my answer :P hmph, I just don't get people who want to categorize everything. True, some breeds have their in-bred characteristics but no dog is actually "dumb" or "not so intelligent". the intelligent ones are actually dogs with high energy that have to spend it somewhere... So yeah, thank you but I prefer Tzu over an overactive breed :P lol :D

• Like 5

I was talking to a trainer last week and mentioned that my Shih Tzu pretty much consider all commands to be suggestions unless they are quite certain food is involved. He agreed that the Breed has a mind of it's own, which makes training them unpredictable, lol.

• Like 2

Yep, the answer showed up, only you have to sort it by newest... I'm rather impressed they did approve it lol

• Like 3
Missysmom

Yep, the answer showed up, only you have to sort it by newest... I'm rather impressed they did approve it lol

Great job on your post Markella- You go girl and tell em like it is!!! :)

• Like 1
Sophie's Haven

Way to go Markella...........

• Like 2
mylittlefluffballs

Well, as a tzu owner of two very intelligent pups, I took offense a bit :) Even though I shouldn't...So, I replied to the article :D If it's approved, you'll be able to see my answer :P hmph, I just don't get people who want to categorize everything. True, some breeds have their in-bred characteristics but no dog is actually "dumb" or "not so intelligent". the intelligent ones are actually dogs with high energy that have to spend it somewhere... So yeah, thank you but I prefer Tzu over an overactive breed :P lol :D

Well said! I have only had Watson a couple of weeks and totally agree with you, he is very trainable and great with children. :)

• Like 1