babnaw

Well, hubby told me about this product today so I read up a bit on it and decided to give it a go. I have some bells on the inside door for the dogs to ring when they want to go out (so far Rebel has used them a couple times), but I wanted something for the back door. The door to my backyard is through the garage, so when Rebel decides to take leisurely strolls forever in the backyard I've been just leaving the door to the garage open and then leaving the door from the garage to the house open just enough for her to push it open to get back in because if I shut both doors or even just the one from the house to the garage then I'm not likely to hear her when she wants to come back in. So far that's kind of been working, but now that the weather isn't freezing cold, my cat has decided it's a good time to run outside when he sees the door open slightly and he's an indoor kitty (my choice, not his lol) so I need a new plan. Hence, the doggy doorbell. I'll let everyone know how things go once it gets here :)

ETA: I forgot the link www.pebblesmart.com

Edited by babnaw
  • Like 5
Marlen

Oooh, that looks nice! :D Well, I don't have a backyard to let mine out but it looks useful ;) I hope it works for you!

• Like 3
Missysmom

Nice, thanks babnaw! I can't wait to hear how this works for you! I think I want one, Missy has taken to scratching the door when she wants out and that's not a good option for the poor door..

• 2 weeks later...
babnaw

Well, the doggy doorbell came earlier this past week, but I just got around to setting it up on Friday. Rebel hasn't quite got the hang of it yet. She has rung it a few times when she is smelling the treat behind the yellow button, and of course I get excited and tell her, "Good girl!" and give her a treat, but she doesn't ring it regularly or to get back in the house yet.

Mr. T on the other hand loves the new doorbell! I couldn't believe it when he learned within 5 mins. to hit the yellow button! When he touched the button while smelling the treat behind it I got excited and told him he was a good boy and gave him a treat from my pocket and he very quickly learned that pushing the button got him a treat. The only problem now is that everytime we go outside he doesn't want to go into the yard to potty because he just wants to stand by the door and push the doorbell lol! So now I've started to tell him to go "yuk yuks" first and I ignore his button-pushing until he's done his business outside. I'm so proud of him for learning so quickly, but he's not the one I really needed to learn to push the doorbell lol. He rarely ever wants to be outside when I'm not out there, whereas Rebel loves to go roaming around the backyard chewing on sticks and chasing leaves, etc. and so she is the one that I most need to learn to use the doorbell because sometimes if she is taking her sweet old time outside I come back inside to get stuff done. Hopefully she will learn from Mr. T soon though :)

• Like 5
PipsMom

Well, the doggy doorbell came earlier this past week, but I just got around to setting it up on Friday. Rebel hasn't quite got the hang of it yet. She has rung it a few times when she is smelling the treat behind the yellow button, and of course I get excited and tell her, "Good girl!" and give her a treat, but she doesn't ring it regularly or to get back in the house yet.

Mr. T on the other hand loves the new doorbell! I couldn't believe it when he learned within 5 mins. to hit the yellow button! When he touched the button while smelling the treat behind it I got excited and told him he was a good boy and gave him a treat from my pocket and he very quickly learned that pushing the button got him a treat. The only problem now is that everytime we go outside he doesn't want to go into the yard to potty because he just wants to stand by the door and push the doorbell lol! So now I've started to tell him to go "yuk yuks" first and I ignore his button-pushing until he's done his business outside. I'm so proud of him for learning so quickly, but he's not the one I really needed to learn to push the doorbell lol. He rarely ever wants to be outside when I'm not out there, whereas Rebel loves to go roaming around the backyard chewing on sticks and chasing leaves, etc. and so she is the one that I most need to learn to use the doorbell because sometimes if she is taking her sweet old time outside I come back inside to get stuff done. Hopefully she will learn from Mr. T soon though :)

I did wonder about that.....hahaha ....

Mr. T thinks he's from Downton Abby.....ring the bell and your servant brings you the food....too funny

• Like 5
Vicki

Happy to hear your "doorbell" arrived and that Mr. T figured it out so quickly!

Hopefully Rebel will pick it up soon from Mr. T and yet another "trouble" will be resolved!

"Yuk yuks"...... :hysterical:

Vicki

• Like 4
Missysmom

Good job Mr T learning the doorbell so quick! I think Missy would be the same, ringing for treats! May get one and try anyway though. It's a great idea!

• Like 2
babnaw

Yeah, Vicki I had to think of something to call going to the bathroom that wouldn't overlap with words I use with my daycare children because I didn't want to confuse Mr. T if I was asking if one of my daycare kids had to go "pee" or "poop" or "potty" or worse, having Mr. T do those things if he learned to do them when he heard the words. So for Mr. T I call it "yuk yuks" (as in yucky) and with Rebel I call it "tinkle tinkles" lol.

• Like 4
Vicki

Well that NOW makes a lot of sense. Love "tinkle tinkles" even more. Very creative!

Being creative can sure be a positive when we have Shih Tzu too.

Gotta keep on top of "things". :)

Vicki

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
babnaw

Rebel is now ringing the doorbell too :) At first she caught on to ringing it to get a treat and would only do it when going outside just to get the treat, but today she's rung it three times to come in, so I think she's "got" it now yay!

• Like 2