11 replies to this topic

#1 borzoimom

borzoimom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4185 posts

• Sign: Nothing Selected

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:56 PM

This is old but I thought our experience with this might help.. Just a note- Femka is now fine..
" I have been in dogs my whole life, but recentely with Femka had quite a fright- not to mention something totally new I have never seen before. I thought I would share this information to maybe help other owners if they find themselves in a similar situation.
Four weeks ago, Femka suddenly out of no where came up injured - unable to turn her head to the left, in obvious screaming pain. Of course we went immediately to the vet. At the time the vet thought she had Cervical Intervertebral Disc Disease. This is a progressive, aggressive degenerative disease. ( usually genetic ). She had type 2 which when the inflamation in the spinal cord and discs, the swelling moves out into the discs of her neck. Unlike type 1 that would leave her paralized, this type is more horrid as it leaves the dog in excruiated PAIN! At the same time they pulled a full blood panel including full thyroid test, and the tests came back her thyroid was crashing. There was no indication at the time of a elevated white count etc. We started pain medications ( rimadryl and roboxin) and I started adding shark cartiledge and vitamin C to her diet.
Two weeks past and it was obvious the pain management was not working. She was in constant pain. Appearing better to screaming. With a very heavy heart seeing her in constant pain, knowing this disease as we were told would only progress making her life miserable, we made the decission to put her down. Where we live the cremetories are not open on the weekend, and her pain was worse. We called the vet out to our house. When the vet arrived, out of standard procedure he examined her again. Then he found it! Although he had seen her 3 times during all the times, the day we were going to put her down, he felt swelling at the back of the neck. Additionally her temperature was elevated. CANINE MENINGITUS!
We all went from thinking we are losing her to hope and started full antibiotics. Its a week later now, and obviously much better.
** Here is what I hope to pass along- if your dog suddenly shows up with a spine or disc disease, and with meningitus slow to show up just like in people, have your vet start antibiotics. If its not meningitus, the antibiotics will not hurt the dog- but as stated by my very skilled vet- Meningitus is very hard to detect medically until its gotton too advanced. Its frightening to think or wonder how many people put their dogs down under a disc disease with only pain management but the infection is present and hard to detect..
This is a autoimmune triggered disease. Its not contagious but rather triggered. "
*** adds. - If your dog develops what the vet terms as Disc disease, have the vet give a broad spectrum antibiotic just in case..
/edit- additionally- in her case this shows up if her thyroid drops. If your dog develops this, have the vet run as well a full thyroid panel.

Edited by borzoimom, 03 January 2009 - 01:07 PM.

#2 ngandkoi

ngandkoi

shihtzu galore

• Members
  • 1026 posts
  • Interests:showing..breeding..reading..learning..chatting..Shihtzu and more Shihtzu
  • My Furkids:ng, madi, chutney, sensei, bushi, masami, joto

• Sign: Scorpio

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:42 PM

thankyou for posting...............

#3 borzoimom

borzoimom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4185 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:49 PM

Femka was the first in their over 20 year experience but the question is there- how many times is a dog put down for having what is believed to be CIDD when actually without antibiotics its menigites. Now everytime they have a dog come in with disc disease as routine they put them on antibiotics. At last report they have found this to be the case several times.
We came real close to believing we had to put her down- ... Shocking isnt it????

#4 enchantedmountain

enchantedmountain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1465 posts
  • Interests:Hmmmm, Just my babies of all kinds.
  • My Furkids:Roxy, Koda, Cham, Cherri, velvet, Belle, Dragon

• Sign: Cancer

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:42 PM

wow! That is such great info!!!! Whether it be a real doctor or a vet. They don't always know everything. Sometimes our gut insticts have to kick in. It's refeshing to think we can always go to someone that knows it all, all the time, but the reality is, we all have to educate ourselves also. There is an exception to every rule and nobody knows everything. If enough of us get together and brain storm and pass our own experiences, that is what makes things more complete. Thank you for that awesome information. You know I think in another thread about diarhea, I made the comment I demanded a vet give my baby panacur. I know it probably sounded harsh and maybe snotty, but I have learned with my kids and my furbabies that sometimes we really can know more about what we need than those we turn too. We definately need those vets and doctors for assistance, but it's good to keep ourselves informed also. Thanks again.

#5 borzoimom

borzoimom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4185 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:49 PM

What was the most alarming to us was that menigites can be masked as CIDD. As I said- we almost put her down due to her pain level.
Meningites it takes up to 10 days to find it. If your dog shows up with what the vet says an injured disc, ask the vet about addiing the antibiotic. With CIDD so much of recovery is based on " pain management". Well the pain can not be managed at all as long as an infection is present but by then the pain is horrid..

#6 enchantedmountain

enchantedmountain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1465 posts
  • Interests:Hmmmm, Just my babies of all kinds.
  • My Furkids:Roxy, Koda, Cham, Cherri, velvet, Belle, Dragon

• Sign: Cancer

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:40 PM

I am so glad, you where able to get to the real problem. she sounds like a lucky baby!

#7 borzoimom

borzoimom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4185 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:33 PM

Just remember if you had a dog diagnosed with disc disease to have the vet put on antibiotics. ( broad spectrum)

#8 tzuhouse

tzuhouse

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7229 posts
  • My Furkids:Josie, Maddy and Rudy

• Sign: Scorpio

Posted 03 January 2009 - 07:46 PM

Thank you Michelle. Very valuable information. :D I am so thankful your Femka was saved. How is she doing now? She's a lucky girl to have been spared. :P

#9 borzoimom

borzoimom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4185 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:15 PM

Thank you Michelle. Very valuable information. :D I am so thankful your Femka was saved. How is she doing now? She's a lucky girl to have been spared. :P

just put it in your back pocket if your dog is diagnosed with a disc disease... As my vet said " I have been a vet for over 20 years and this is the first".. So when in doubt- wont hurt the dog but start antibiotics if your dog shows signs of disc disease.. Could make a huge difference ..

#10 emmasmom

emmasmom

So in love with my Tzus!

• Members
  • 5496 posts
  • My Furkids: Emma & Gabby

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:04 PM

Excellent info, thanks Michelle!

#11 Apeke

Apeke

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2122 posts
  • Interests:Loving my fur babies..Crocheting...fishing..relaxing and drinking latte's..LOL
  • My Furkids:Suzie♥Emmi♥Corkey♥Sydney

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:16 PM

That's very good to know.
Thanks for sharing this info.
I will keep this in mind, should such symptoms arise.

#12 FairyTail Josette

FairyTail Josette

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7932 posts
  • My Furkids:Josey, Cody, Mandy

• Sign: Leo

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:18 AM

Thanks for sharing. I will pass this info on to anyone having this issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Your Company Name