kcsheperd

KC Sheperd

• Members
  • 2946 posts
  • Interests:<br />http://kcsheperd.blogspot.com/
  • My Furkids:Payslee, Rally & Sawyer

• Sign: Virgo

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:48 AM

Well last night Payslee started doing what I thought was a reverse sneeze. Its been talked about quite a bit on the forum, and I've watched all the videos on Youtube and it sounds like what she is doing it..but she kept doing it. I pressed her little nostrils together and she stopped, but she kept doing it like minutes later.. I'm going to take her to the vet this morning, because even if it IS a reverse sneeze, I will worry about it non-stop. I've read online about the collapsing trachea and it usually doesn't develop until they are after 4 years of age. So I'm hopeful that she DOES NOT have this. Even if she does, its treatable, but she wont be able to run and play like she is used to doing, which would absolutely BREAK MY HEART.

Has anyone had any experience with this, or does your dogs reverse sneeze several times in the same day? I"m kinda flipping out..

Edited by kcsheperd, 03 August 2009 - 12:45 PM.

#2 MisterMom

MisterMom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1008 posts
  • My Furkids:Angel (10) Missy (7) Coco (3.5 died) Brandi (2.5)

• Sign: Sagittarius

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:54 AM

Coco gets the reverse sneeze. She sounds like she is going to die. I pick her up and calm her and lightly blow in her nose. That usually stops it, but she will start again after a few minutes, so I repeat until she finally finally quits.

#3 Kae+Gizzy

Kae+Gizzy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1961 posts
  • Interests:My family and my dogs! Dog Training, Agility and flyball.
  • My Furkids:Gizmo & Bella (Tzu) & Ffion (Dobie)

• Sign: Cancer

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:14 AM

KC, we did have it almost on a daily basis with Gizmo when he was very small. It seemed to vanish for a good few months and now its back again.
Pretty much daily he will have an episode and its very scary! He had a pretty bad one the other day, usually pinching the nostrils or rubbing his throat works but it didn't this time. It took alot longer to go.
I find he does it more after eating, drinking or rushing around playing.
Our vet said its seem to be quite common in the breed, but it's still awful to watch, it scares Gizzy half to death and myself and hubby are like a pair of panicking parents. Gizmo panics and runs backwards almost trying to get away from it, its horrible. There seems to be no real known reason why it happens other than the fact the soft palate is irritated, I have heard it may be due to dust, pollen and household chemicals but thats just a maybe..
I'm glad you are taking her to see your vet as he can explain it better and hopefully put your mind at rest slightly (not that it worked in our case)
Hugs to both you and Pay's, please let us know how she gets on at the vets and I would be really interested to know what he say's about it, our vet just seemed to brush it off like it wasn't life threatening and just said that if he starts getting them pretty much all the time or they last for a long preiod of time to take him back. He does generally have one almost every day..that to me warrants some sort of investigation surely :)

#4 kcsheperd

kcsheperd

KC Sheperd

• Members
  • 2946 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:43 AM

She has an appt at 11:20..When I got home from work (because I was scared to leave her very long) she wasn't doing it as bad, but she almost sounds like she has a stopped up nose! Does that make sense? It sounds like we would sound if we were having drainage. She sounds snotty.. lol.. I know that sounds bizarre, but thats the best way to describe it..She's not having the fits like she had last night, but she is kinda congested or something.. Either way I'm taking her in, but Wendy you have made me feel better, like maybe its not as bad as I thought..so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

#5 tzuhouse

tzuhouse

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7229 posts
  • My Furkids:Josie, Maddy and Rudy

• Sign: Scorpio

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:56 AM

I think it is a good thing to take her to the vet....if nothing else but to ease your mind. This darn reverse sneeze thing can be so scarry, both for the dog (Josie shakes like crazy and looks so scared) and for the mom/dads. I do think there are so many things that can cause it and am of course praying that it is either an environmental thing or she maybe has something tiny, even a hair or tiny leaf or something stuck in her throat and her body is trying to knock it out....just like we sneeze if somthing tickles in our nose,

Pkease post back just as soon as you return,.....{{{{HUGS}}}} little girl.

#6 shihtzulovers100

shihtzulovers100

Silver Member

• Members
  • 238 posts

• Sign: Nothing Selected

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:57 AM

Has anyone had any experience with this, or does your dogs reverse sneeze several times in the same day?

This breed is commonly happens because of the short nose.
Eventually they will get less and less reverse sneeze.

Mine have the same thing like everyone.
It started even when they did nothing.
Once the reverse sneeze starts, it is hard to stop.
After stop, the reverse sneeze comes back within sec again.
It takes long time to be able to completely stop the reverse sneeze.

Your pooches must be in fear and have no idea what and why it happen to them.
You must be worried sick.

#7 Tzumommy

Tzumommy

How many tzu's can you fit in your lap?

• Members
  • 1570 posts
  • My Furkids:Harley,Poe,Yuki,Madison and one Cat

• Sign: Sagittarius

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:24 AM

By the way be careful if your vet talks about nose surgery, they seem say that alot to open up they're air ways and this is breed thing not a lets operate on every dog that reverse sneezes thing.

#8 Seastar

Seastar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5938 posts
  • Interests:animals, poetry, knitting and crochet, the natural world
  • My Furkids:Dhani/Zinnia/Jessie, Juno/Clark/Avalon

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:37 AM

I wonder if she has a little swelling in her sinuses/nose areas from all the reverse sneezing irritating the tissues. Poor little gal. Waiting for the vet visit report..

#9 TheShihtzuation

TheShihtzuation

Gold Member

• Members
  • 800 posts
  • My Furkids:Pokerface the Shih Tzu, Klepto the PomChi

• Sign: Gemini

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:15 PM

Oh my poor little Payslee!!

This is the first I'm hearing of the reverse sneeze.. Definitely going to read up on it now.

Let us know how the vet trip went!

#10 kcsheperd

kcsheperd

KC Sheperd

• Members
  • 2946 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:00 PM

Well we just got back from the vet, and Payslee does NOT have a collapsing trachea..Thats all good. Apparently she is not "reverse sneezing" as much as she is "snorting".. He said its more than likely an allergic reaction to something in the weather..(Not food related at all) and that its causing her to have some drainage in her throat. Much like when we have drainage and it irritates her throat. She got a cortizone shot, and a prescrition for Temaril, which is an antihistimine/anti-inflammatory. He said she should be feeling better by this afternoon! :happybday:

He said In 1% of the cases its something caught in the dogs nose, and if Pays wasn't better by Wed to bring her back, but he didn't feel like that was the case. He checked her trachea, heartbeat, etc, and it was all normal.. (whew).. He said some dogs will have these symptoms for weeks until the weather changes, and that I could keep pressing her nostrils together to control the snorting..He said she was having some reverse sneezing, but mostly snorting..Here is a video of what she was sounding like (I took this in case she didn't make the sounds at the vet, but she did end up making the sounds).

qDXlM63YyM4

#11 bluesy

bluesy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1314 posts
  • My Furkids:Jasmine, Chase and Maggie

• Sign: Capricorn

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:04 PM

I'm so glad it's not the trachea that's the problem. Hopefully the meds help and she'll be back to her normal energetic self soon.

Rita

#12 shihtzulovers100

shihtzulovers100

Silver Member

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:22 PM

Here is a video of what she was sounding like (I took this in case she didn't make the sounds at the vet, but she did end up making the sounds).

This is exactly how my girls sounds.
Sometimes it goes on for a while before it can completely stop.

Poor Payslee, I could tell your little princess walked toward to you when it happened.
She got closer and closer to the camcorder.

We pray for her getting better soon.

#13 LondonGirl

LondonGirl

Gold Member

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • My Furkids:Kizzie (Shih Tzu), Daisy (Westie), Pip (Maltese)

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:59 PM

Aaww, the poor little mite. It must be as confusing and distressing for her as it is for you. I hope the meds take effect soon.

#14 kcsheperd

kcsheperd

KC Sheperd

• Members
  • 2946 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:42 PM

Yeah, she comes over to me because she knows I'm going to press her little nose and make it stop..it does scare them a bit..She's still kinda stuffy right now, and resting. I'm going to have her take it easy tonight..

Thanks so much to everyone for the well-wishes for my little biscuit!

#15 janemin

janemin

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2468 posts
  • Interests:My three little Tzus Penny,Oliver and Charlie,My Kids,My Grandchildren.Anything British(I was born in England)Taking photographs.
  • My Furkids:Penny,Oliver and Charlie

• Sign: Aries

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:56 PM

Poor little Payslee girl,That was very scary.I dont blame you for being concerned,I would have been too.Paislees buddy was looking rather concerned in the video.It was a WHAT Ya MAKING THAT STRANGE NOISE FOR PAISE.Hope she gets over the sneezes soon.

#16 Ozzy'sMommy

Ozzy'sMommy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1192 posts
  • My Furkids:Oz

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:46 PM

i'm so GLAD it isn't a collapsing trachea!!

oz does the reverse sneeze thing but i also noticed if there is a lot of tree pollen in the air in early fall...he does the reverse sneeze but it sounds like it has phlem (sp?) behind it. also if the grass is freshly cut he tends to kinda make the sound too. when he feels it coming on he will try to find me in the house if he's in another room. poor things, they know their mommies will make it better don't they.

i also rub oz's throat in a soft downward motion with one hand while touching his nose with the other. that seems to calm him down along with talking to him and telling him he's okay.

#17 kcsheperd

kcsheperd

KC Sheperd

• Members
  • 2946 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:32 PM

Thanks everyone! yay! Payslee is back in action this evening! She is up and running and Playing with Sawyer, and not making the snorting sound anymore..She did a little bit this afternoon, but hasn't since then, so her allergy shot worked! She will still stay on her allergy medicine for a few days, but she ate a good supper, and is back to her jolly self!! :hysterical:

#18 tzuhouse

tzuhouse

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7229 posts
  • My Furkids:Josie, Maddy and Rudy

• Sign: Scorpio

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:33 PM

Awe, poor sweet Pays. Saw looks so concerned about his sissy. I am so glad the vet thinks it will clear up quickly. It does sound a lot like the reverse sneeze but also I can hear like a little cough too, maybe that is the snort he mentioned.

Well, you give that little girl THREE hugs....One from auntie Cathy, one from cous Josie and one from cous Maddy. Now don't you forget momma.

#19 chacha

chacha

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1526 posts
  • Interests:Computers<br />Gardening<br />Digital Photography
  • My Furkids:Emily, Alice, Meeko and Chewy

• Sign: Gemini

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:15 PM

Poor little baby. I hate that when that happens. I am glad she is ok.

#20 emmasmom

emmasmom

So in love with my Tzus!

• Members
  • 5496 posts
  • My Furkids: Emma & Gabby

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:13 PM

Poor girl. I felt so sorry for her, she looked so scared! Glad to hear she was better this evening.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Your Company Name