NickyPhyl

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1055 posts
  • My Furkids:Charlee & Peaches, at the Bridge; Max & Nicky

• Sign: Pisces

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:00 AM

Hi All,
I have noticed that some of you mentioned things you let your dogs chew on. I have a Schnoodle who loves rawhide bones, but I can't let him chew them because twice he got a piece stuck in his intestines and they were blocked.
Nicky, the Shih Tzu, takes forever to chew a Greenie, but Max goes through them like they are mush. I was wondering if the pig ears or hooves you all mentioned would be a long lasting chew for Max. Can they break off and get stuck in his stomach and swell up like the rawhide bones?
Thanks for any responses

#2 kcsheperd

kcsheperd

KC Sheperd

• Members
  • 2946 posts
  • Interests:<br />http://kcsheperd.blogspot.com/
  • My Furkids:Payslee, Rally & Sawyer

• Sign: Virgo

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:59 AM

Mine love Merrick Flossies (and they last forever) and these tendons that are rolled into a bullseye shape. But they basically love anything from the 'tendon' group..Here's a link to some of their fav's..MERRICK CHEWS

#3 Seastar

Seastar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5938 posts
  • Interests:animals, poetry, knitting and crochet, the natural world
  • My Furkids:Dhani/Zinnia/Jessie, Juno/Clark/Avalon

• Sign: Nothing Selected

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:40 AM

Mine don't get any of those things, except for very thick rawhide chips which I get from Drs Foster and Smith, and only while closely supervised. I am very suspicious of Greenies, which caused some severe problems in dogs which swallowed pieces of them--I think they changed the formula for them, though. Not sure.

#4 tunisianswife

tunisianswife

Gold Member

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:walking my lhasa and shih tzu, baking, international cooking and travel, knitting, reading non-fiction biographies, historical events, WWII, volunteer rescue with STAF
  • My Furkids:Tini, Peanut, and Casey

• Sign: Taurus

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:30 AM

I bought a kong last week but haven't used it yet. My tzu doesn't chew, never has liked any treats, as a matter of fact and has the teeth to prove it. He is minus 11 teeth.

My lhasa does like rawhides occasionally, but he loves raw beef rib bones, or a raw beef soup bone with the marrow. the marrow doesn't seem to make a difference in the poo department. he likes those chicken breast jerkys, and I just ordered duck jerky for him to try. Haven't received it yet though.

#5 ShihtzuBeauty

ShihtzuBeauty

My Peekapoo's Upset She Only Has 3 Tzus!

• Members
  • 17340 posts
  • Interests:My Babies, Eve Shih Tzu Born Feb9 2004 Taffy Peekapoo Born April28 2005 JoJo Shih Tzu Born Feb22 2006 Choco Shih Tzu Born Feb.1 2007

Loving My Grandson Ian Ray :) and my new Granddaughter Brynli Hope :)
  • My Furkids:Eve Taffy JoJo Choco

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:02 AM

Mine only get soft satin ropes that are very thick and braided and Nyla bones. I never leave the bones out for them to knaw on unattended though.

#6 FairyTail Josette

FairyTail Josette

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7932 posts
  • My Furkids:Josey, Cody, Mandy

• Sign: Leo

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:23 AM

We do the Free Range Moo! Bully Sticks.. They are completely safe and last a loooong time and are odorless and won't stain your carpet, oriental rugs, flooring. We also do the Flossies. I buy them locally that are directly from a farmer out of Missouri. Also completely safe/digestible. They go crazy for the flossies.

#7 TheShihtzuation

TheShihtzuation

Gold Member

• Members
  • 800 posts
  • My Furkids:Pokerface the Shih Tzu, Klepto the PomChi

• Sign: Gemini

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:00 AM

I tried the Merrick Flossies and they just got so sticky and grimy and soggy and gooey. :-/

Pokey has been going to town on his little 3 for a dollar toothbrushes. I know theres no flavor.. but sometimes I'll put a bit of yogurt on the tip and freeze it. He LOVESSS that. He's also just cool with the soft rubber Nyla bones.. Recently bought him one that has a 'chocolate' flavor.. he LURVESSSSSSSS that as well.

Edited by thepupstuff, 25 August 2009 - 11:00 AM.

#8 Stacey

Stacey

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2337 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:12 PM

all we use is cow hooves and chicken jerky.

cow hooves make their face stinky, so they get those on bath day just before their bath.

#9 Luna

Luna

Gold Member

• Administrator
  • 8220 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, orchids, gardening, cooking, yoga, doing my nails!
  • My Furkids:Captain Jack and the Tzu Crew

• Sign: Sagittarius

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:12 PM

We have it narrowed down to raw bones (I think we have about 6 "gently-chewed" ones right now), booda bones (those knotted rope thingies) and Nylabones (which only Gus loves...but he LOVES them!).

We can't have pig ears because for some reason they are the one and only thing Jack will bury in the yard, then dig up and bring inside to finish (apparently they are better when aged a bit in dirt). As you may have guessed, he doesn't rinse them off when he brings them in and Mommy gets just a bit annoyed. Just a bit.

We can't have chew hooves, because after Jack has managed to snarf his down (say, in an hour if he's feeling lazy), he waits until the Tzu drop theirs because something else caught their attention, then snarfs those down as well. He snarfs them down in rather large pieces and has quite the time getting them out the other end, delicately speaking. Not pretty and not fun, although he never seems the worse for the experience.

Greenies make Katy sick (not that she wont gobble them down with relish). More vet bills for gastritis I do NOT need!

We have the same problem with flossies we have with hooves, although the results aren't as dramatic.

eta: spelling

The Tzu also get real excited if they find a nice big stick in the yard to chew on. Or a rock. 'Nuff said.

Edited by Luna, 25 August 2009 - 05:13 PM.

#10 Ozzy'sMommy

Ozzy'sMommy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1192 posts
  • My Furkids:Oz

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:44 PM

oz has a selection of nylabones for everyday chewing. we get the durable ones in the smallest size, the flexible ones in the next size up, the dinosaurs in the stegasaurus and they have these new bones that have little bumps on the ends and then ridges in the middle. he really likes them all in the chicken flavor...not really fond of the liver or original. once a week he gets a flossie. they last him about an hour or two depending on the thickness.

oz also likes his kong bone that you can stuff treats into the ends and he has to work to get the treats out, he has the regular kongs that you can stuff with treats or smear with peanut butter.

#11 borzoimom

borzoimom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4185 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:08 PM

I use what Pam uses- beef bones sawed. Also- rubber bones, and large nyla bones but mostly big rubber bones they can not chew up.
I dont like hooves, pig ears etc and greenies have been linked with a dog getting off pieces causing blockage. ( yea I know they changed it but still..).
To me a chew toy is to satisfy chewing, not consume it..

#12 NickyPhyl

NickyPhyl

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1055 posts
  • My Furkids:Charlee & Peaches, at the Bridge; Max & Nicky

Posted 26 August 2009 - 03:51 AM

Thank you all so much for the great responses :)
I would like to ask one more thing. Where do you get the raw bones?

Max will not chew Nyla bones but a few minutes and then he is done for good on those.
Nicky is not much of a chewer, although he is a good paper shredder :)

#13 Seastar

Seastar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5938 posts
  • Interests:animals, poetry, knitting and crochet, the natural world
  • My Furkids:Dhani/Zinnia/Jessie, Juno/Clark/Avalon

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:06 AM

Ours do like Nylabones also, but it's a battle getting Betsy not to eat them, as the tiny ones I get for the tzu are like a snack for her. I'd like to give them raw bones, but they get the dang marrow all in their legs and feet and it's just a mess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Your Company Name