#1 JOZMOM

JOZMOM

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 24 posts

• Sign: Nothing Selected

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:53 PM

Hi
I am new here and our family is going to be getting a shih tzu puppy. I have been reading all about them and we are excited to add one to our family. I was wondering if there is a difference between a male and female, besides the obvious. The dog is going to be a family pet and will be fixed.
We have three kids and a heeler mix, female.

I appreciate any advice

:blush-anim-cl:

#2 Ozzy'sMommy

Ozzy'sMommy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1192 posts
  • My Furkids:Oz

Posted 20 September 2009 - 11:18 PM

well since i have a male i would say go male. my sis has a tzu lhasa mix female and she just seems to be much more independent and aloof. my oz is lovey all the time, he LOVES to cuddle and loves ALL female dogs...especially big giant ones. he gets along with males too but i have yet to see a female dog he doesn't immediately get a crush on, lol. he's my little loverboy. :blush-anim-cl:

#3 enchantedmountain

enchantedmountain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1465 posts
  • Interests:Hmmmm, Just my babies of all kinds.
  • My Furkids:Roxy, Koda, Cham, Cherri, velvet, Belle, Dragon

• Sign: Cancer

Posted 20 September 2009 - 11:32 PM

I grew up with all female dogs and when I got older got males. Both can be sweet, but there is a saying that if you want a dog to love, get a female. If you want a dog to love you, get a male. LOL. Now all my females loved me, I think. But, I have to say that males don't seem to be quite as moody and a little less independent. I love them both, but I have really loved my males now that I have them. I, however, think you could be happy with either.

EDIT: Get one of each :blush-anim-cl:

Edited by enchantedmountain, 20 September 2009 - 11:33 PM.

#4 Cackle

Cackle

I'm not sure I'm adult yet.

• Members
  • 6666 posts
  • Interests:Shih tzu, Paint Shop Pro....and my family :-) not really in that order

• Sign: Virgo

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:37 AM

I've got females. Always had females. I don't know why lol

#5 NickyPhyl

NickyPhyl

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1055 posts
  • My Furkids:Charlee & Peaches, at the Bridge; Max & Nicky

• Sign: Pisces

Posted 21 September 2009 - 04:33 AM

I say go male! I find them so loving and attentive. Yet they will protect you and guard against anything :blush-anim-cl: I like that saying Rael put on. I believe it too

Oh BTW, WELCOME to the board :blush-anim-cl:

#6 Airliatzu

Airliatzu

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Dog Shows and Shih Tzu
  • My Furkids:Too Many

• Sign: Leo

Posted 21 September 2009 - 04:40 AM

Males make better pets and if they are neutered before they learn to lift their leg, they will squat the rest of their lives to pee. neutering also heals faster than spaying.

#7 ShihtzuBeauty

ShihtzuBeauty

My Peekapoo's Upset She Only Has 3 Tzus!

• Members
  • 17340 posts
  • Interests:My Babies, Eve Shih Tzu Born Feb9 2004 Taffy Peekapoo Born April28 2005 JoJo Shih Tzu Born Feb22 2006 Choco Shih Tzu Born Feb.1 2007

Loving My Grandson Ian Ray :) and my new Granddaughter Brynli Hope :)
  • My Furkids:Eve Taffy JoJo Choco

• Sign: Pisces

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:06 AM

Hi and Welcome to the family! :blush-anim-cl: I too say get 2! :blush-anim-cl: I have 2 boy and 2 girls and although the girls are lovey the boys are real lovers and cuddlers but this breed is so Sweet you really can't go wrong w/either sex.

#8 ShihNanigans

ShihNanigans

Gold Member

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • My Furkids:Rockefeller, Libby Lu, Bogart and Sullivan

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:47 AM

My answer to this one is easy...boy, boy, boy! I just love the Tzu boys. They are, in my opinion, more lovey, sweet and playful. I had a boy as a child and one of my best friends at the time had a girl. They were as different as night and day. The best way for me to describe it is that her girl was more like a cat, and my boy was more like a dog (loyal, attentive and people-centered).

Now I have three boys and a girl. We love our girl. In fact, we tell her all the time that we are going to love her whether she likes it or not! She does things on her terms only. She's more aloof, moody and indepedent. She jumps off the bed at night to be alone on the floor. She will sit next to us on the couch, but NEVER on our lap, and would not give us a kiss if her life depended on it. Our boys want nothing more out of life than to spend time cuddling with us and if our face isn't close enough to kiss, will settle for kissing our bare feet when we walk by them, just to make sure we know they're there.

Inevidably, someone will come along and tell you that their girl is loving, and she probably is. But, to make a fair comparison you need to have experience with both boy and girl Shih Tzus. I do, and especially if you think you will only have one Shih Tzu (although, they do become addicting!), you should go for a boy.

Honestly, though, you really can't go wrong. The question is, what do you want out of your dog? If you want a diva to dress up and wear frilly bows and dresses, then get a girl. If you want a little love bug to cuddle and play with, go for a boy. Either way, you will LOVE having a Shih Tzu in your life!

Make sure your furbaby comes from a reputable breeder, and they can help you with choosing the specific pup that is right for your family. Or, if you are going to rescue, ask lots of questions and spend time with prospective pups before you make a decision. Good luck!

#9 Seastar

Seastar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5938 posts
  • Interests:animals, poetry, knitting and crochet, the natural world
  • My Furkids:Dhani/Zinnia/Jessie, Juno/Clark/Avalon

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:11 AM

I have 3 girls and a boy. My male is the best dog I've ever had, and I've had dogs.
He is calm, sweet, meditative, tolerant.
The girls are a bit moody, but also sweet. But since you already have a female, I'd go male.

#10 tzukeeper

tzukeeper

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6481 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:00 PM

I have 4 boys and 4 girls. My boys are all sweet, loving and very predictable. The girls....not so much. :) They are sweet too just on their terms. If I ever get another it will absolutely be a boy. Love love love those sweet baby boys!!

#11 tzuhouse

tzuhouse

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7229 posts
  • My Furkids:Josie, Maddy and Rudy

• Sign: Scorpio

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:25 PM

Well, heck yea, get one of each....but if that is not doeable, I don't think you can go wrong with either. I have one of each and love them both like crazy....they both have such personality and are soooo different. Just see which one seems to have the most interest in you, if you are picking from a litter and go from there.

edited to add: I almost forgot to welcome you to chatter. We are so happy to have you and can't wait till you get you bebe. Be sure when you do, to post lots for pics for us.

Edited by catnjr, 21 September 2009 - 12:26 PM.

#12 JOZMOM

JOZMOM

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:31 PM

Thank you so much for all of the replies.
This was just what I needed.

I/we(my daughter thinks I am getting it for her :) ) would like a loving little dog.

We can't get two dogs. My husband is not super thrilled about getting another dog, especially a puppy. Of course once he comes home he will melt I am sure.

I have one question. Can you put a top knot in a boys hair?

Thanks again for the help.

circe

#13 Ozzy'sMommy

Ozzy'sMommy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1192 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:54 PM

i have seen boy dogs with topknots. i think if you start doing their hair early it will be easier. i don't necessarily want a top knot on my boy's hair but i tried putting a clip the other day because his hair was getting so long he looked like a black mini english sheepdog. he just sat there after i put it on and then looked at me out of the corner of his eye like "mom, come on already" and then shook it out.

and my boy wasn't neutered until like 10 months old and even before the neuter and after, he is still the most loving dog i have ever had....through growing up out of 6 dogs over 20 years, 4 were male and two were female. by far the males were always the most loving dogs of the bunch. and yeah, not matter what their size they will try to protect their mommies!

i think the important thing too is to socialize your dogs starting from an early age (once they have all their shots of course).

:)

#14 Kae+Gizzy

Kae+Gizzy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1961 posts
  • Interests:My family and my dogs! Dog Training, Agility and flyball.
  • My Furkids:Gizmo & Bella (Tzu) & Ffion (Dobie)

• Sign: Cancer

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:13 PM

I have to agree with everyone above. The boy's are sooo loveable!
Yes sure you can put his hair in a topknot. Many people on the boards have boys with topknots, myself included..although Gizzy has had a haircut but we are trying to grow it back. He even had pigtails for a while :)
My hubby hated the topknot when he had one but now he misses it lol

#15 CrazyTzuLady

CrazyTzuLady

My dog's are not spoiled...I'm just well trained!

• Members
  • 9090 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband of 19 years George and my kids George III 20 and Kevin 16. The PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!! Go Steelers! Starbucks Caramel Macchiato's, Yummo!! I am addicted! :) Of course spoiling Gizmo, Delila, Thai Thai, Huey and our newest little guy Freddie is always a lot of fun! I love to cook, read, garden and I also love to scrapbook when I have time, not so much since the pups have come along though.
  • My Furkids:Gizmo, Delila, Thai, Huey and Freddie

• Sign: Libra

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:00 PM

Welcome to Chatter! Yes you can do topknots on boys and even put bows in them I do all the time. We just call them man bows. :)

Here is a a couple of pics of my sweet boy Gizmo with his man bows in.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 Sally

Sally

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2872 posts
  • Interests:Trudy! Psp and computer work, stained glass, gardening, crafts.

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:04 PM

I love girls, always have girly dogs. They are always loving and sweet. So many boys have humping problems.

#17 Ozzy'sMommy

Ozzy'sMommy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1192 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:36 PM

what's funny about the humping things is the only dogs i've seen hump that any family member have owned are girls, mother and daughter in fact, humping eachother...oz looks at them like "what is wrong with you?!?!?!?"

but yeah boys are usually the ones that hump, oz used to try and hump this one mini schnauzer he'd see on walks (after that dog tried to hump him) but that was the only one he every tried doing it to and it lasted for maybe a month and a half tops and then he stopped, i guess the novelty wore off, lol.

#18 Carolina Girl

Carolina Girl

Gold Member

• Members
  • 958 posts
  • My Furkids:Ozzy, Daisy, and Mowgli

• Sign: Sagittarius

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:38 PM

LOVE my baby boy, Ozzy! There is just something about him.....I have always heard negative things about boy dogs, but that is what I will get from now on!

Oh, and by the way , Ozzy is growing his hair out and will totally have a top knot. I can put a small bow in now. My husband doesn't like it, but too bad. I put his bow in and he is a total "mama's boy". He wears it like a man! HA.

#19 tzuhouse

tzuhouse

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7229 posts
  • My Furkids:Josie, Maddy and Rudy

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:19 PM

what's funny about the humping things is the only dogs i've seen hump that any family member have owned are girls, mother and daughter in fact, humping eachother...oz looks at them like "what is wrong with you?!?!?!?"

but yeah boys are usually the ones that hump, oz used to try and hump this one mini schnauzer he'd see on walks (after that dog tried to hump him) but that was the only one he every tried doing it to and it lasted for maybe a month and a half tops and then he stopped, i guess the novelty wore off, lol.

Yea, too funny....Josie is the one to hump Maddy when her cousin comes over or if she can't get him to play when SHE wants to....it's a dominance thing....HOWEVER, Maddy humps Josie ONLY just after she is bathed....go figure.

#20 Seastar

Seastar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5938 posts
  • Interests:animals, poetry, knitting and crochet, the natural world
  • My Furkids:Dhani/Zinnia/Jessie, Juno/Clark/Avalon

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:08 PM

Both sexes hump now and then. Ain't no big deal. Tell them to cut it out; they generally will.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Your Company Name