#1 pooh0829

pooh0829

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • My Furkids:Cooper

• Sign: Nothing Selected

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:38 PM

Hi all. I am hoping you might have some insight for me. I have a 3yo male, named Cooper. He has allergies, although we haven't figued out exactly what. I know some is food, and I am beginning to suspect grass.

Monday night he was playing in the grass and shortly after coing in, he began to lick and chew at his feet. Tuesday morning he had gop in his eyes, which he hasn't had for 2months ( on a med for dry eye). Then yesterday when I came home from work, his right node on his neck was swollen. I took him to the vet (new to us; had to change due to old vet made Cooper very sick this ummer.) New vet very unfriendly- said very little. Gave him an anitbiotic and said he wanted to see again Sat. to see if the swelling has gone down. I asked if it could be allergies, he said no. More likely an infection of some kind and that sometimes only one node becomes infected. Of course, my brain is on over drive and I am concerned about cancer. He said he thought he was too young; but he wasnt at all reassuring.

Have any of your pups had swollen lymph nodes with allergies? The vet did not check his others, but I did and do not feel anything. Any insight you can give me would be great. He is eating and playing normally. But I am still concerned.

Thanks!
Samantha

#2 Cackle

Cackle

I'm not sure I'm adult yet.

• Members
  • 6669 posts
  • Interests:Shih tzu, Paint Shop Pro....and my family :-) not really in that order

• Sign: Virgo

Posted 08 October 2009 - 07:05 PM

Welcome to Chatter :-)

My Molly had allergies but she never had any swollen nodes anywhere, I think I'd be trying another vet if it were my dog.
Let's know how you go.

#3 chloechanel'smommy

chloechanel'smommy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1037 posts
  • My Furkids:Chloe, Bentley and Chyna

• Sign: Scorpio

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:05 PM

I don't have any advice on the subject but I agree that you should probably look for another vet just because of the new vets personality.

#4 CrazyTzuLady

CrazyTzuLady

My dog's are not spoiled...I'm just well trained!

• Members
  • 9090 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband of 19 years George and my kids George III 20 and Kevin 16. The PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!! Go Steelers! Starbucks Caramel Macchiato's, Yummo!! I am addicted! :) Of course spoiling Gizmo, Delila, Thai Thai, Huey and our newest little guy Freddie is always a lot of fun! I love to cook, read, garden and I also love to scrapbook when I have time, not so much since the pups have come along though.
  • My Furkids:Gizmo, Delila, Thai, Huey and Freddie

• Sign: Libra

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:04 AM

I am glad you got it checked so quickly. My MIL just went through this with her 5 yr old Cocker Spaniel. Unfortunately his did turn out to be Lymphoma. I hope your babies turns out to be nothing more than infection. If the vet you have is so unfriendly I would be looking for a new vet. After all you are paying him to do his job. I would rather give my money to someone that will actually take the time to answer my questions in a nice manner. Good luck I will keep your baby in my thoughts that it is just an infection. Please keep us posted. :) Oh yeah and Welcome to Chatter!

#5 Wicket's mom

Wicket's mom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4287 posts
  • My Furkids:Wicket, Brutus & Gucci

• Sign: Gemini

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:09 PM

Sorry, I've never dealt with swollen lymph nodes. My boston terrier, Brutus has both food and environmental allergies and the symptoms have included: redness of the skin, licking paws, paws scabbing, rashes on belly, open sores under armpits and a few on his belly, hair loss and ear infections; but his lymph nodes were never affected.

I agree with the other though, and I would definately switch vets. Since I am not an expert in canine health I need to know that my vet, who is, cares enough to answer all my questions and takes the time to properly check out my babies. I really hope you can find a better vet who actually cares about the furbabies he treats!

I also hope there is nothing seriously wrong with Cooper, please keep us updated!

#6 borzoimom

borzoimom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4185 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 04:40 PM

Welcome .. But any swollen nodes needs to be seen a vet.

#7 kcsheperd

kcsheperd

KC Sheperd

• Members
  • 2946 posts
  • Interests:<br />http://kcsheperd.blogspot.com/
  • My Furkids:Payslee, Rally & Sawyer

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:59 PM

I agree with the others..Get it seen by a different vet..You always want a vet who is reassuring to you, and one that you trust completely. My friend just took her yellow lab in, who is a 3 year old female, and sadly for her too, it was lymphoma..I don't want to worry you, but I would just suggest you find a good vet who can totally rule out cancer so you don't worry non-stop about it.. Hugs to you and your baby..

#8 pooh0829

pooh0829

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • My Furkids:Cooper

Posted 14 October 2009 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for all the thoughts and info. It turned out to be, thankfully, just a swollen gland. We did go to another vet and get a second opinion. I also spoke to his opthomologist, whose works with an allergist, and was told that his allergies could cause an ear infection which in turn could cause the gland/lymphnode to swell. Coop is on the mend and feeling better.... now off for a bath because I just found a flea! Ick

#9 kcsheperd

kcsheperd

KC Sheperd

• Members
  • 2946 posts
  • Interests:<br />http://kcsheperd.blogspot.com/
  • My Furkids:Payslee, Rally & Sawyer

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:01 PM

Whew! I'm sooo glad to hear that!! yay! Its nice to hear some good news these days with all the sick babies we've been haering about..so I'm so glad its just allergies, and something that you can easily fix! Hooray! :D

#10 ShihtzuBeauty

ShihtzuBeauty

My Peekapoo's Upset She Only Has 3 Tzus!

• Members
  • 17340 posts
  • Interests:My Babies, Eve Shih Tzu Born Feb9 2004 Taffy Peekapoo Born April28 2005 JoJo Shih Tzu Born Feb22 2006 Choco Shih Tzu Born Feb.1 2007

Loving My Grandson Ian Ray :) and my new Granddaughter Brynli Hope :)
  • My Furkids:Eve Taffy JoJo Choco

• Sign: Pisces

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:46 PM

Yaaaaaaaaaaa thats Great News!!! :)

#11 tzuhouse

tzuhouse

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7229 posts
  • My Furkids:Josie, Maddy and Rudy

• Sign: Scorpio

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:06 AM

Great news about Coop. I just hate it when our bebe's are having issues and we don't know why.
Glad you changed to a more friendly vet. Keep us posted on how he does. Did he need any meds?

#12 CrazyTzuLady

CrazyTzuLady

My dog's are not spoiled...I'm just well trained!

• Members
  • 9090 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband of 19 years George and my kids George III 20 and Kevin 16. The PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!! Go Steelers! Starbucks Caramel Macchiato's, Yummo!! I am addicted! :) Of course spoiling Gizmo, Delila, Thai Thai, Huey and our newest little guy Freddie is always a lot of fun! I love to cook, read, garden and I also love to scrapbook when I have time, not so much since the pups have come along though.
  • My Furkids:Gizmo, Delila, Thai, Huey and Freddie

• Sign: Libra

Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:35 PM

Wonderful news I am so happy for you both! :yucky:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Your Company Name