Photo

The snorting, choking, coughing, wheezing tzu thing.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TheShihtzuation

TheShihtzuation

Gold Member

• Members
  • 800 posts
  • My Furkids:Pokerface the Shih Tzu, Klepto the PomChi

• Sign: Gemini

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:34 PM

I've read about it on here before.. about some of your tzus doing that awful snorty, almost coughing.. sounds like they have a hairball in their throat, wheezing thing. And of course now I can't find the thread. Pokes done it before, but this was back when he used to gobble up his food in less than a minute.. and it never lasted more than 25 seconds or so.

Last night we were all just laying around watching a movie when Pokey got up to walk to my friend. Before he made it there he started with the choking, coughing, looked like he could barely breathe thing. My friend went in panic mode but I got up and slowly walked over to Pokey and rubbed his nose (I feel like I read this somewhere on here before?) and was rubbing under his neck in an upward motion in case there was something stuck in his throat. (But like I said, we were all lounging for an hour or more and he wasn't playing with any toys).

Anyway - he kept it up for 2 minutes and I picked him up to put him on the chair so I was eye level with him and tried talking him through it. Like I said hes done it before, but never ever this long. My friend was in a major panic ready to call the vet.. I had to keep telling her to calm down because the more frantic she became the more frantic he (and myself) would get.

Finally FIVE MINUTES LATER (yes it lasted that long) he was calmed down and just staring at me with the "Mama, WTF was that?" scared look on his face. I got him a few ice cubes which he wanted nothing to do with it at first. He just wanted to know that I was close to him... but a few minutes later he was back to normal and chomping on the cubes.

Anyway.. WHAT WAS THAT???? I don't want to risk anything with my man.. if it is serious I will definitely take him into the doc. Like I said - this was his first time with it lasting as long as it did. Is it asthma? Was it a seizure?

If someone could point me to the other thread that talked about this I would be so appreciative.

This all happened around 2in the morning last night.. he's absolutely fine today. :-/

#2 ShihtzuBeauty

ShihtzuBeauty

My Peekapoo's Upset She Only Has 3 Tzus!

• Members
  • 17340 posts
  • Interests:My Babies, Eve Shih Tzu Born Feb9 2004 Taffy Peekapoo Born April28 2005 JoJo Shih Tzu Born Feb22 2006 Choco Shih Tzu Born Feb.1 2007

Loving My Grandson Ian Ray :) and my new Granddaughter Brynli Hope :)
  • My Furkids:Eve Taffy JoJo Choco

• Sign: Pisces

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:53 PM

Here's one.

http://shihtzuchatte...everse sneezing

#3 TheShihtzuation

TheShihtzuation

Gold Member

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:03 PM

Melissa.. thanks so much. That was exactly the post I had in my head.. with the video of Little Miss Payslee.

So glad to hear its a common tzu thing. Going to have my friend read the article that Apeke posted in the other thread. It was my friend seriously who was just frantic and freaking me out even more. "OMG.. is he ok? OMG POKEY! OMG.. we have to take him to the vet.." all while walking in circles around us. That definitely couldn't of helped the situation.

#4 kcsheperd

kcsheperd

KC Sheperd

• Members
  • 2946 posts
  • Interests:<br />http://kcsheperd.blogspot.com/
  • My Furkids:Payslee, Rally & Sawyer

• Sign: Virgo

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:50 PM

Pupstuff, Pays has also been itching at night time mainly and sneezing. The weather is dry here right now, and she and Sawyer go outside and put leaves in their mouth and roll in the grass, and bring that pollen into the house, and onto the bed, so I noticed that she was scratching More at night time..So I washed all my stuff, and vaccumed, and its helped, but I also called my vet and he said to give her some liquid childrens' benadryl. She weighs about 6.4 pounds, so I have a small syringe and I give her 2.5ml and squirt it in her mouth..Its helped her a TON. He said I can give it up to 3 times a day, and that this time of year with all the weird Oklahoma Weather its very common for dogs to have season allergies right now. He said a lot of them are coming in with the same complaints so if Pokey continues you might try the Benadryl.

#5 NickyPhyl

NickyPhyl

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1055 posts
  • My Furkids:Charlee & Peaches, at the Bridge; Max & Nicky

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for the reminder, KC about changing bed clothes and vacuuming more often! The leaves play havoc with my Nicky this time of year! I have been doing the Benedryl too :blush-anim-cl:
Hugs
Phyl

#6 TheShihtzuation

TheShihtzuation

Gold Member

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:52 PM

Yep KC and Phyllis, after it went down last night something made me think of the leaves. He is definitely a leaf chaser/eater and has tried bringing them in with him.

Also thanks Kace about the benadryl. Thats what we usually give Pokey when he has itchy fits.. but we mix it with peanut butter. He wasnt nothing to do with a syringe, lol.

#7 NickyPhyl

NickyPhyl

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1055 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:50 AM

Yep KC and Phyllis, after it went down last night something made me think of the leaves. He is definitely a leaf chaser/eater and has tried bringing them in with him.

Also thanks Kace about the benadryl. Thats what we usually give Pokey when he has itchy fits.. but we mix it with peanut butter. He wasnt nothing to do with a syringe, lol.

I give Nicky a half pill of Benedryl in a dolop of peanut butter. He loves peanut butter and even recognizes the word :P HeeHee

#8 TheShihtzuation

TheShihtzuation

Gold Member

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:55 AM

I give Nicky a half pill of Benedryl in a dolop of peanut butter. He loves peanut butter and even recognizes the word :P HeeHee

That's so cute because Pokey recognizes that word too - but that's cuz one of his many nicknames is "PokahButta" tho. Haha

We never tried the pills tho - always the liquid childrens form.

#9 Kisses

Kisses

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • My Furkids:Kisses

• Sign: Capricorn

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:51 PM

awhile ago kisses was having horrible coughs but not a reverse sneeze...i remember talking on here and everything people suggested didnt look like what she was having. I everntually took her to the vet where she thought she swallowed something that irritated her throat. i think it was a tinsel toy of the cats. the vet placed her on Temaril-P to relax her throat and suppress her cough and it went away. I had to modify the cats toys but she was better :)

#10 NickyPhyl

NickyPhyl

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1055 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:17 AM

awhile ago kisses was having horrible coughs but not a reverse sneeze...i remember talking on here and everything people suggested didnt look like what she was having. I everntually took her to the vet where she thought she swallowed something that irritated her throat. i think it was a tinsel toy of the cats. the vet placed her on Temaril-P to relax her throat and suppress her cough and it went away. I had to modify the cats toys but she was better :dede:

My friend in TN uses that Temaril-P for her dog when his allergies kick in. She says it is a good medicine. I can't get it here :aktion033:

#11 KristenE

KristenE

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1064 posts
  • My Furkids:Guinness, Biscotti and Isabella

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:46 AM

Temaril-P is a prescription med. My bulldog was on it at one time.

#12 NickyPhyl

NickyPhyl

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1055 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:58 AM

Kristen, I have called my Vet about every 6 months requesting that they start carrying it, but to no avail :blush-anim-cl:
Phyl

#13 Kisses

Kisses

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • My Furkids:Kisses

• Sign: Capricorn

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:12 PM

Nicky,
have you ever tried ordering it through petmeds.com? You vet just needs to give you the script and you can get the meds on there if they dont carry it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Your Company Name