Photo

How much does a shih tzu weigh full grown?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mscat

mscat

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • My Furkids:Miley & Suzi

• Sign: Libra

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:58 PM

My baby will not be 1 yrs old until April 26 . When I first brought her home she could fit in my hand she was so tiny. NOW , she is soooo big and fluffy ! I am unsure how much she weighs, but if I guessed it would be around 10LBS or so .
WHen do these dogs stop growing? and what is their average weight ? I gave Miely a bath today , and of course she was all fur more then anything else. LOL . I am just courious how big she will get, or if she is at her adult weight by now?
Thanks ,
mscat

#2 Ozzy'sMommy

Ozzy'sMommy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1192 posts
  • My Furkids:Oz

• Sign: Nothing Selected

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:40 PM

the standard is 9 - 16 pounds. it depends though i have seen very small tzus and very large ones. how big were your little one's parents?

my oz was about 10 pounds at one year if i remember correctly. we had to go to the vet the other day and he is now 12.3 pounds. he had hit a little over 11 pounds his past summer so he's gained i a little over a pound since then. he isn't overweight though. his dad was 9 pounds and his mom was 11.

oh and oz weighed 2.3 pounds at 8 weeks.

#3 kcsheperd

kcsheperd

KC Sheperd

• Members
  • 2946 posts
  • Interests:<br />http://kcsheperd.blogspot.com/
  • My Furkids:Payslee, Rally & Sawyer

• Sign: Virgo

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:45 PM

I think its different for all tzu babies..and I've heard its also different for boys & girls..Sawyer & Payslee are over a year old. Sawyer weighs 12 pounds, and hasn't really gained much weight since he was 9 months. Payslee pretty much quit growing at 6 months old. I know this because I took out some of her dresses, and harnesses that she had when she was 6 months old and she can still fit them perfectly. She is on the smaller end of the tzu scale, and she grew in length a bit, but never really put on much weight or girth.

#4 mom2Gizmo

mom2Gizmo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 445 posts
  • My Furkids:Gizmo, Cocoa (RIP), Jake (RIP), Angel (RIP)

• Sign: Aquarius

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:21 PM

I think boys are bigger than girls usually. At any rate, Gizmo came to me when he was 7 months old. At that time I think he weighed about 11.5 lbs. He is now 19 months old and was weighed a couple of days ago. He was 13.4 lbs. And my vet feels he is on the thin side and could use another 1/2 lb. I'm not worried about it though. I'm sure he will gain 1/2 lb. as he gets older. My almost 9 year old dog was underweight at his age too, and she is at a perfect weight now.

#5 mileysmom

mileysmom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1112 posts
  • Interests:My dogs are my world. I love them endlessly just like they love me Endlessly.
  • My Furkids:Miley, Buster

• Sign: Pisces

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:50 PM

(my)Miley is a year old next week, and weighs about 11-13 lbs. She hasnt really changed since she was about 7-8 months old. Shes gotten longer, but stayed the same weight... but might i add, she has a small frame.

#6 tzuhouse

tzuhouse

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7229 posts
  • My Furkids:Josie, Maddy and Rudy

• Sign: Scorpio

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:04 PM

I think you will find them all over the board and while the standard is 9-16, right here on this board we have them ranging from under 4 pounds right up to I think 26 pounds.

I have three, Josie is 4 and weighs 13 1/2, Maddy is 2 and weighs 11 1/2, (I think he will always be my smallest) and Rudy is only 5 1/2 months and already weighs almost 8 pounds, but I bet he will be at least 12 pounds or more.

#7 Claudiabehr

Claudiabehr

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1494 posts
  • My Furkids:Panda & Cadbury

• Sign: Taurus

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:14 AM

I agree that they come in all sizes, standard of 9-15 pounds aside. Panda is 9 months old and weighs just over 7 pounds, like her mother. But her dad was a teeny fellow at 5 pounds. I think she's at her maximum weight but then, a couple months ago, I thought the same thing when she was 6 pounds.

#8 mr.coffee

mr.coffee

Caffeine Addict

• 3156 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, guitars, Shih Tzu, the Detroit Red Wings, computers, the beach, cooking, good beer, did I mention coffee?
  • My Furkids:Harley

• Sign: Cancer

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:21 AM

Hey, your Miley's one day younger than my Harley! He's 12.4-ish pounds, no idea if he's done yet...

-m

#9 chloechanel'smommy

chloechanel'smommy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1037 posts
  • My Furkids:Chloe, Bentley and Chyna

• Sign: Scorpio

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:02 AM

Chloe is 9 months and she weighs 8-9 pounds. Her mom was 8 pounds and her dad was 10. I think she should be just about done growing.

#10 mscat

mscat

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • My Furkids:Miley & Suzi

• Sign: Libra

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:00 PM

I think boys are bigger than girls usually. At any rate, Gizmo came to me when he was 7 months old. At that time I think he weighed about 11.5 lbs. He is now 19 months old and was weighed a couple of days ago. He was 13.4 lbs. And my vet feels he is on the thin side and could use another 1/2 lb. I'm not worried about it though. I'm sure he will gain 1/2 lb. as he gets older. My almost 9 year old dog was underweight at his age too, and she is at a perfect weight now.

Your little one looks so much like my Miely they could be twins . :dede: , mom2Gizmo. Miely's face lightened up in color now that she is older , and her back coat still has a beautiful light color almost looks brown , or orange it is so light . She is white in the middle and so is her tail. I nealry named her Gizmo , because she look so much like the cute little creature in the movie Gremlins :) SHe would also tilt her head back and forth too , still does as though she is listenening to every word we tell her . Now Chloe , she looks very little to me, and absolutely precious . Miely really did not start growing faster until she hit the 6month mark. It may have been the food change , not sure though. My yorkie also looks 100% better after I changed their food to Wellness Super 5 mix, small breed . They are not fat, just more stronger , and look muscular . Esp my yorkie , but mIely is much bigger then Suzi/yorkie heavier I mena. They are about the same height , Suzi is taller , with Miely'es shorter legs . Miely is just filled out a little more and is difinately heavier to pick up .
They are not fat , and I thing both look great , just was curious how big a tzu gets, average weight, and u all answered my question .
BTW , momma , she was a very big mom ... I thought it was because of her litter though. Miely is nowhere her size. Miely was actually the smallest in her litter . Under 3 Lbs when I brought her home at 8weeks .

Edited by mscat, 27 February 2010 - 12:07 PM.

#11 mr.coffee

mr.coffee

Caffeine Addict

• 3156 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, guitars, Shih Tzu, the Detroit Red Wings, computers, the beach, cooking, good beer, did I mention coffee?
  • My Furkids:Harley

• Sign: Cancer

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:08 PM

Something else to think about too, they say Shih Tzu are heavy for their size, if you have a Tzu and another dog that are the same size the Tzu will weigh more. I guess they are just solid little guys, which is cool, sturdy is good!

-m

#12 Ashley Rae

Ashley Rae

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:My adorable ShihTzu, Harley Quinn. My niece, and nephews. Reading, music, movies, anything entertainment.
  • My Furkids:Harley Quinn, ShihTzu Born 2008

• Sign: Gemini

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:24 PM

My Harley weighs about 12-13lbs. She's quite a bit bigger than her parents. Her mom was 7lbs, and her dad was 9lbs. But I don't think she's that big for her body, she seems to be just right. I really never thought she'd get this big though, but she reached this size at about a year, and she's held steady since then.

~*Ash*~

#13 Oskar270

Oskar270

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Woodworking, Computers, Home Renovations
  • My Furkids:Koko

• Sign: Pisces

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:27 PM

Koko is around 12 to 13 Lbs

#14 FairyTail Josette

FairyTail Josette

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7932 posts
  • My Furkids:Josey, Cody, Mandy

• Sign: Leo

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:01 PM

My baby will not be 1 yrs old until April 26 . When I first brought her home she could fit in my hand she was so tiny. NOW , she is soooo big and fluffy ! I am unsure how much she weighs, but if I guessed it would be around 10LBS or so .
WHen do these dogs stop growing? and what is their average weight ? I gave Miely a bath today , and of course she was all fur more then anything else. LOL . I am just courious how big she will get, or if she is at her adult weight by now?
Thanks ,
mscat

Most likely, I would guess Miley to be about full grown at 10 months of age. It depends on their breeding lines, as to when they stop actually growing. Some lines, the pups grow slow and steady and can actually grow for up to two yrs. In some lines, rapid growth occurs early on and then the pup levels out and stops growing at a younger age.

I see a lot of variance in weight in all the toy breeds. In Yorkie and Maltese, the AKC standard calls for weight not to exceed 7 lbs. I've seen Maltese as adults in the 3 lb. range up to 16 lbs. As adults, I've seen Yorkies as small as upper 2 lb. range up to 17 or 18 lbs. The same for Shih Tzu, Josey is tiny for the breed, she weighs just under 4 lbs. and is healthy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Your Company Name