Photo

Do Tzu swim well?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 mr.coffee

mr.coffee

Caffeine Addict

• 3137 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, guitars, Shih Tzu, the Detroit Red Wings, computers, the beach, cooking, good beer, did I mention coffee?
  • My Furkids:Harley

• Sign: Cancer

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:14 AM

Evidently, Harley does not.

While in Houston, we visited the Millie Bush dog park...Harley chased another dog's ball into a small pond, momentum carried him a bit but soon he was treading water, and poorly at that - I could see him running out of steam, paddling furiously, going nowhere and beginning to sink. Shannon went in after him since she had flip-flops as opposed to my Chucks, and short-ish shorts with empty pockets to my long shorts full of wallet, phones, ipods, etc. He didn't seem phased, but we were - we were both panic-stricken!

So, do Shih Tzu swim well?

-m

#2 tzukeeper

tzukeeper

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6481 posts

• Sign: Nothing Selected

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:45 AM

I think each dog is different. I have some that won't even go near the pool...some that prefer a life raft....and then there is Opie. He is a swimmer! Loves the water and uses his skamper ramp to get in and get out of the water. It would scare me for the ones that don't like it at all to fall in. I would worry that their panic would prevent them from swimming well and getting out of the pool. Bet Harley was glad mom rushed in to save him. I would have done the same for one of my less than enthusiastic swimmers. :tracy:

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 shihtzumomof2

shihtzumomof2

If the Tzu fits.....

• Members
  • 1764 posts
  • Interests:Pets, gardening, pets, crafts, knitting, crochet, computer, pets, relaxing and enjoying my home and my pets. :-) I am also a realtor.
  • My Furkids:Casey, Kylie and my Angel Cricket (RIP 2-4-2010)

• Sign: Capricorn

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:56 AM

Oh I love these pictures. I've never had any of mine in a pool, so I'm not sure.

#4 Carolina Girl

Carolina Girl

Gold Member

• Members
  • 958 posts
  • My Furkids:Ozzy, Daisy, and Mowgli

• Sign: Sagittarius

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:08 AM

We've put Daisy in the pool and she hate it! But I never thought about putting Ozzy in.....Hmmmmm........All I've heard concerning shih tzus and water is to be careful not to get it into their little noses, so I was scared to try Ozzy in........Maybe I'll try.

Tracy, your babies are so cute in that little raft! That's just too cute!

#5 Boo and Gidgys Mom

Boo and Gidgys Mom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • My Furkids:Gaboo ( Boo Boo) and Gidget

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:05 AM

:tracy: We live at a lake. So we are always around the water. I really don't take Gaboo in to the deep water, but he loves to just lay in a few inches of water at the shore. Sometimes he will go in deep enough that just his head is above water. When we go to the houseboat he likes to lay on a ramp we have off the back deck. He also likes to float around on his Knee board. As long as I am in the water with him. Actually today is his birthday and he is getting his own wadding pool to put on the deack at the house. here is a pic of him on the ramp off the houseboat.

#6 xr4man

xr4man

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1360 posts
  • My Furkids:hunter

• Sign: Aquarius

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:37 AM

everything i've read is that shih tzu can't swim and their dense bones and long coats drag them down.

however, i've seen on here that there are some that not only can swim, but enjoy it. i'd say it's a lesson learned with harley and that he maybe shouldn't get himself into deeper water than he can stand up in.

#7 mr.coffee

mr.coffee

Caffeine Addict

• 3137 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, guitars, Shih Tzu, the Detroit Red Wings, computers, the beach, cooking, good beer, did I mention coffee?
  • My Furkids:Harley

• Sign: Cancer

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:57 AM

Ha, would you look at that Opie! :tracy: That's too wild, he seems totally at home in the pool. The raft dogs are cute, that's definitely more my style - don't mind being ~on~ the water, just not too crazy about being ~in~ the water...

Yeah, Ian, that's kinda what we were thinking. We neither encouraged nor discouraged his initial explorations in the water, and I'm glad he wasn't upset about it but now we know where he stands and we can monitor him.

-m

#8 MisterMom

MisterMom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1008 posts
  • My Furkids:Angel (10) Missy (7) Coco (3.5 died) Brandi (2.5)

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:28 PM

I don't know if mine swim or not. Never been around a pool or pond. BUT, if the grass is wet from rain or dew, they have to go really really bad to get off the concrete. I can open the door when it is wet or raining and they will just sit and look out the door and no - not me !!

#9 tzuhouse

tzuhouse

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7229 posts
  • My Furkids:Josie, Maddy and Rudy

• Sign: Scorpio

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:43 PM

Glad Shannon was a "rescuer"...and am sure Harley was too. I wonder if they are around the water and go it on their own and slowly, they may begin to like it like that adorable Opie.....mine have never been around water either....and they HATE baths so would probably think that was ONE HUGE TUB.....lol

#10 Chloe's Mama

Chloe's Mama

Gold Member

• Members
  • 360 posts
  • My Furkids:Chloe, Angus and Malcolm

• Sign: Pisces

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:52 PM

Great pics! :(

I think each dog is different. I have some that won't even go near the pool...some that prefer a life raft....and then there is Opie. He is a swimmer! Loves the water and uses his skamper ramp to get in and get out of the water. It would scare me for the ones that don't like it at all to fall in. I would worry that their panic would prevent them from swimming well and getting out of the pool. Bet Harley was glad mom rushed in to save him. I would have done the same for one of my less than enthusiastic swimmers. :tracy:

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 kcsheperd

kcsheperd

KC Sheperd

• Members
  • 2946 posts
  • Interests:<br />http://kcsheperd.blogspot.com/
  • My Furkids:Payslee, Rally & Sawyer

• Sign: Virgo

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:28 PM

Well When Pays was about 6 months old, she jumped like a crazy person into the middle of my mom's pool.. Thats the way I found out if SHE could swim! She did quite well.. Last week when I was at mom's pool she acted like she wanted in with me, so I put her in..She swam around a bit then wanted out.. Now if there is a puddle anywhere NEAR Sawyer, he's IN IT..He loves water..Loves water hoses, loves being in the water..He's a good swimmer too, but he doesn't jump in the pool like My mom's dogs do..He's more of a Puddle dog, but does love the water, and does swim well. Glad the H Man is okay though!!

#12 ShihtzuBeauty

ShihtzuBeauty

My Peekapoo's Upset She Only Has 3 Tzus!

• Members
  • 17340 posts
  • Interests:My Babies, Eve Shih Tzu Born Feb9 2004 Taffy Peekapoo Born April28 2005 JoJo Shih Tzu Born Feb22 2006 Choco Shih Tzu Born Feb.1 2007

Loving My Grandson Ian Ray :) and my new Granddaughter Brynli Hope :)
  • My Furkids:Eve Taffy JoJo Choco

• Sign: Pisces

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:36 PM

So far none of mine have showed an interest in swimming or even dipping a toe into water but they LOVE it when I fill a huge bowl of water w/ice cubes when we are outside they all put their faces in and swim w/them :) espicially JoJo.

#13 Dakotah's momma

Dakotah's momma

Silver Member

• Members
  • 227 posts
  • My Furkids:Ragdolls..Zeke and Mykah, Shih Tzu Dakotah Yule

• Sign: Gemini

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:26 PM

I have also read they do not like to swim. My Dakotah loves to take a bath and I tried putting her in my grandbabies kiddie pool and he jumped out. So I would say mine will stick with the bath for now. Hey he must be mine as I too do not care for the water.

#14 FairyTail Josette

FairyTail Josette

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7932 posts
  • My Furkids:Josey, Cody, Mandy

• Sign: Leo

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:47 PM

Nope, Josey can't swim. I put her in the ocean once and her little face was panic stricken. Her eyes got as big around as saucers, as, she started to sink. "Moooommmm....what are you doing to me?! I'm not a fish! My hair is getting wet!" She loves to play on the beach and run around by the water, but, not be in the water.
Posted Image

#15 chloechanel'smommy

chloechanel'smommy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1037 posts
  • My Furkids:Chloe, Bentley and Chyna

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:51 PM

Tracy, I love the pictures of your babies in the water. I don't know if Chloe can swim or not as she has never been in a pool, pond, lake ect. I guess some tzus can swim though. Opie looks like a pro!

#16 Purley

Purley

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:47 PM

I understand that shih-tzus have more trouble in pools than a dog with a long nose because with their short faces they have more trouble keeping their head above water. We have a wrought iron fence and a gate around our pool, and I am very careful to keep the gate shut. We use one of those bubble covers and no matter what breed, a dog would have a tough time surviving if it got stuck under the cover.

Can someone tell me - how do those scamper ramps attach to the pool deck? Its hard to see from the photos.

#17 Maz&Oozy

Maz&Oozy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 258 posts
  • My Furkids:Oozy and Suki

• Sign: Gemini

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:30 PM

Oozy doesnt mind the water, but I have not had him swimming he's got a paddling pool that he goes in when its hot with a few inches of water in and he loves playing with his toys in it, but he didnt like the sea when we went to the beach and woudnt even paddle.

#18 tzukeeper

tzukeeper

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6481 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:26 PM

I understand that shih-tzus have more trouble in pools than a dog with a long nose because with their short faces they have more trouble keeping their head above water. We have a wrought iron fence and a gate around our pool, and I am very careful to keep the gate shut. We use one of those bubble covers and no matter what breed, a dog would have a tough time surviving if it got stuck under the cover.

Can someone tell me - how do those scamper ramps attach to the pool deck? Its hard to see from the photos.

All the hardware necessary for the skamper ramp comes with it and it is very easy to install. Here is a link to their website. Most pool supply stores sell them and I think Petedge.com does as well. :congrats:

http://www.skamper-r.../home.asp?pid=1

#19 Sally

Sally

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2872 posts
  • Interests:Trudy! Psp and computer work, stained glass, gardening, crafts.

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:51 PM

Dogs can easily drown. Please be careful.

Edited by Sally, 12 July 2010 - 09:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Your Company Name