#2 Mishkas2Dads

Mishkas2Dads

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • My Furkids:Mishka

• Sign: Scorpio

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:43 PM

I've never heard of such a thing until I just looked it up. One article stated "The first thing to do is speak with your veterinarian" but I'm sure a more seasoned member will chime in shortly. Hope things go through well! Had no idea there were such a thing called "Hot Spots" :S

#3 loewenthal.anna

loewenthal.anna

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1805 posts
  • My Furkids:Lolly, Poe, Cash Money, Doctore, Effie, Blues

• Sign: Leo

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:31 PM

Unfortunately, the best, most effective remedies DO come from a vet and there's no real getting around that.

Second piece of bad news: a hot spot generally heals better when it's shaved so the skin can breath and the hair (which is a MAJOR source of bacteria!) out of it.

At home you can put a cone-of-shame on your pup to keep them from getting at the area, tape baby socks to his/her feet to prevent scratching, and clean the area with either a special wound soap (Hebicleanse from CVS/WALGREENS/your pharmacy is the best) or PLAIN SOAP (unscented, lotion-free) -- DO NOT use alcohol, peroxide, or iodine, they will hurt, burn, and potentially prolong the healing process. Let the Hebicleanse sit on the skin for a good 5-10 minutes since killing bacteria is all about how long the anti-bacterial has contact with the infected area, and then dry the area COMPLETELY. Hot spots are wet, weepy wounds so you don't want to add any moisture, even in the form of anti-biotic ointments or creams. If it's REALLY severe, and your still not wanting to visit the vet (which again, you really should) you can try to use Gold Bond baby powder, or other powders specifically formulated to handle diaper rash as they will generally contain a drying agent, as well as skin soothers. -- Gold Bond has corn starch, Kaolin, and zinc in it.

Here's my preferred, quicker, easier, safer, more effective veterinary approach: Get an appointment, allow the vet to give an antibacterial injection to ward off further infection, have them shave up the area to keep it clean, and go home with some Neopredef powder and some Chlorhexidine scrub. Scrub the area 1-2 times daily allowing the scrub to sit on the spot (like above), rinse, dry completely (use a blow drying on cool/low setting if need be) and apply Neopred powder liberally. The powder has a steroid which will speed healing exponentially as well as a topical anti-bacterial agent, and a drying agent to help the hot spot scab over in a matter of days, instead of weeks. You'll be all set in 3-4 days.

Don't waste your time with ANYTHING labeled for "hot spots" at the pet store, they are minimally effective at best and the home remedies I just extolled above do a better job by far for much cheaper. Also, if you are not 100% absolutely diligent about your flea prevention know that a flea allergy is likely at the root of this problem (since fleas promote dogs chewing/sucking on their own hair/legs/rear area) what begins as either a flea infestation (defined as any uncontrolled flea population, regardless how small) or an allergy and because of the bacteria on the hair around it, the constant moist environment from the dog's chewing, and other environmental conditions a secondary bacterial infection has taken hold in the open wounds caused by scratching/chewing. Most likely the bacteria is staph, which I say not to scare you but to reinforce that this is a medical issue best handled by a professional.

Hope that helps!

#4 ShihtzuBeauty

ShihtzuBeauty

My Peekapoo's Upset She Only Has 3 Tzus!

• Members
  • 17340 posts
  • Interests:My Babies, Eve Shih Tzu Born Feb9 2004 Taffy Peekapoo Born April28 2005 JoJo Shih Tzu Born Feb22 2006 Choco Shih Tzu Born Feb.1 2007

Loving My Grandson Ian Ray :) and my new Granddaughter Brynli Hope :)
  • My Furkids:Eve Taffy JoJo Choco

• Sign: Pisces

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:07 PM

My JoJo gets one from time to time and my vet. gave me these instructions in the begining and they Work. Yes shave the area wash w/anti-bacterial soap 2-3 times a day Do Not let a scab form you will need to "pick" the scab off and continue to do se w/each washing Do Not put any ointment of any kind on it it will prevent it from healing it needs air to breathe. With JoJo it takes a good wk. or better for them to heal but they will, good luck and Hugs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Your Company Name