#1 Vicki

Vicki

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1037 posts
  • My Furkids:Ebony, Panda, Animal Cracker, Nutter Butter and GingerSnap

• Sign: Leo

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

Apparently the city I live in has a rabies vaccination requirement for all dogs at age three months.
My puppies are due for their 3rd shots about the same time.

I just spoke to my Vet's office today (and made the appointment) and they assured me they could have the 3rd shot and rabies vaccine at the same time.

Is this true? Is it safe for my puppies?

I always thought the rabies shot happened at 4 month.

Vicki

#2 Seastar

Seastar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5938 posts
  • Interests:animals, poetry, knitting and crochet, the natural world
  • My Furkids:Dhani/Zinnia/Jessie, Juno/Clark/Avalon

• Sign: Nothing Selected

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

I don't allow multiple vaccinations at the same time. I like the immune system to recover from having to respond before throwing something else in the mix.

#3 Vicki

Vicki

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1037 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

I don't allow multiple vaccinations at the same time. I like the immune system to recover from having to respond before throwing something else in the mix.

How long do you wait between the vaccinations?
Thanks,
Vicki

#4 Luna

Luna

Gold Member

• Administrator
  • 7458 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, orchids, gardening, yoga
  • My Furkids:Apparently too many to name here!

• Sign: Sagittarius

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

I won't do multiple vacs at once, and insist that at least 2 weeks elapse between them. Here, they have to have their rabies by 6 months (at which point half the time I forget about the whole thing and then end up in a panic hauling a puppy to the vet for it so they're "street legal").

#5 Vicki

Vicki

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1037 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:10 AM

I'm at a loss now as to what to do. My vet says it's okay. My City (or County/State) requires it.

If I don't do it at the same time, should I have them receive their final puppy shot first and then the rabies several weeks later (and hope the City doesn't arrive at my door and confiscate them)?

What kinds of reactions can they have from getting both shots at the same time? :uhm: :dunno:

Vicki

#6 Marlen

Marlen

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1374 posts
  • Interests:Anything that has to do with my furbaby, gardening, drawing ;)
  • My Furkids:Misha

• Sign: Libra

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

Erh, I wouldn't recommend doing both of them at the same time. My vet says they're both strong vaccines that might have some kind of after-effect. I'd say, leave one to two weeks in-between the shots, like Pam and Paula suggested. Since it's required by your City/State to have it done by the 4th month, do it first and keep the puppies inside the house until they get the final puppy shot. If your vet insists that it's okay, maybe you should have him state it somewhere that he's taking responsibility for the puppies' health? (don't know how this would work, just a suggestion).

#7 Vicki

Vicki

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1037 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

Erh, I wouldn't recommend doing both of them at the same time. My vet says they're both strong vaccines that might have some kind of after-effect. I'd say, leave one to two weeks in-between the shots, like Pam and Paula suggested. Since it's required by your City/State to have it done by the 4th month, do it first and keep the puppies inside the house until they get the final puppy shot. If your vet insists that it's okay, maybe you should have him state it somewhere that he's taking responsibility for the puppies' health? (don't know how this would work, just a suggestion).

The City's requirement for the rabies shot is 3 months. That's my dilemma. My understanding is that the 3rd puppy shots need to happen between three and four weeks after the 2nd shot. At best, I only would have a couple of days between the shots instead of two weeks.

I am seriously considering my chances with the City.

Vicki

#8 Marlen

Marlen

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1374 posts
  • Interests:Anything that has to do with my furbaby, gardening, drawing ;)
  • My Furkids:Misha

• Sign: Libra

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

Eh, sorry, I meant 3 months, I got confused :blush: Either way, ask your vet for possible after-effects(if you decide to have the 3rd shot and the rabbies shot together) and make a schedule that leaves enough days in-between the shots, if possible :D I don't know about you, but here we only recently founded a police unit for checking pet-animals welfare, and we don't have issues with the vaccinations. If there's possibility for someone to come and check it(I don't know how your system works ^_^ ), do the rabbies shot. Why chance a possible confiscation if there are serious chances for it to happen? Just a question, didn't your vet make a program for the puppies? He lives in the same city right? Isn't he aware of the regulations? He should have forseen that, I believe.

#9 Vicki

Vicki

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1037 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

To the best of my knowledge in my city, there is not a doggie police unit that goes to homes to check to be sure the dogs have their rabies shots. About the only way they'd even know I had puppies would be if they happened to audit my vet's office or if a neighbor (or someone else) filed a complaint. The only program my vet has made previously was for their 3 puppy shots and rabies at 4 months. It wasn't until I mentioned the law had changed to 3 months on the rabies shots that the vet's office had ever heard of it. I don't know when it went into affect.

Hmmmm, after typing that, I just had a thought. Aren't they 3 months old until they're 4 months old? The law I read just said dogs had to have their rabies vaccinations at 3 months. So, suppose that is an interpretation that they could be 3 months and 29 days old and still only be three months old.....

I'll call the vet's office again.

Vicki

#10 Jazzy's Mom

Jazzy's Mom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • My Furkids:Jazzy, Pistol, Sparky

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:31 AM

In my opinion that would work. Yes a puppy would be considered 3 months old for 30 or 31 days depending on the month. If they get their puppy shots early in the third month there should be no reason they can' wait 2 weeks to get their rabies shots, and still be in compliance with your city.

#11 Vicki

Vicki

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1037 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

In my opinion that would work. Yes a puppy would be considered 3 months old for 30 or 31 days depending on the month. If they get their puppy shots early in the third month there should be no reason they can' wait 2 weeks to get their rabies shots, and still be in compliance with your city.

Thank you for your response! I'm so happy someone else agrees with my thinking. That's what I'm going to do! :aktion033:

Vicki

#12 missy dawn

missy dawn

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2007 posts
  • My Furkids:2 chihuahuas and 2 dachshunds

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:53 AM

Molly reacted to her baby shots. Scared us to death!! Shes the only one we have who reacted. She was pitiful !!!
Sheila-(shih tzu dreamer)

#13 Vicki

Vicki

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1037 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

Molly reacted to her baby shots. Scared us to death!! Shes the only one we have who reacted. She was pitiful !!!

Was that from the rabies vaccination or the series of puppy shots?
SO FAR, I haven't had any reactions from the two puppy shots the Cookie Monsters have had so far.
I hope the third goes as well.

Vicki

#14 missy dawn

missy dawn

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2007 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

Was that from the rabies vaccination or the series of puppy shots?
SO FAR, I haven't had any reactions from the two puppy shots the Cookie Monsters have had so far.
I hope the third goes as well.

Vicki

Puppy shots. It was Scary.

#15 Vicki

Vicki

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1037 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

Puppy shots. It was Scary.

I've seen what a reaction can be in a puppy once! I never want to see that again either.
When I was looking for my first Shih Tzu, I saw a litter that had just had their shots the morning I looked at them. One of the puppies was so lethargic it could hardly move. I was told it was a reaction to the shots, but it looked so sad I was concerned enough to walk away from her. THEN I found Ebony!

Vicki

#16 missy dawn

missy dawn

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2007 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

I've seen what a reaction can be in a puppy once! I never want to see that again either.
When I was looking for my first Shih Tzu, I saw a litter that had just had their shots the morning I looked at them. One of the puppies was so lethargic it could hardly move. I was told it was a reaction to the shots, but it looked so sad I was concerned enough to walk away from her. THEN I found Ebony!

Vicki

Molly couldnt be touched without her SCREAMING!!she had a feverAnd didnt want to move!!

#17 Vicki

Vicki

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1037 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

The day I had Ebony and Panda microchipped, Ebony would scream everytime she was touched. Can't say I blame her as the size of the needle they implant the microchip with is HUGE! I ended up running back to the vet for some pain medication for her. She was still sensitive the following day, but wasn't screaming anymore.

Panda didn't have any problem that day but he was quite a bit larger than Ebony was. There's three months difference in their ages.

Vicki

Edited by Vicki, 11 April 2013 - 10:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Your Company Name