#1 C&M

C&M

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • My Furkids:Coki

• Sign: Nothing Selected

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

So my dog used to have fleas but doesn't anymore. However I wanted to know if you have to give your dog flea medication every month even if he doesn't have fleas in case of re-infestation. Or do you just stop the medication altogether once the fleas are gone. I'm not sure if giving your dog flea medication every month for the rest of his life is safe.

#2 Luna

Luna

Gold Member

• Administrator
  • 7801 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, orchids, gardening, yoga
  • My Furkids:Apparently too many to name here!

• Sign: Sagittarius

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:49 PM

The only one of ours who is in the grass regularly is our big guy Jack, so he gets Frontline Plus monthly April - October.  Gus and Katy go for walks sometimes, so the get it every other month April - October.  The rest don't get anything, but I do have a supply of Capstar in case one of them picks up a flea when we are at Petsmart or wherever.

#3 C&M

C&M

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • My Furkids:Coki

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:36 PM

Yeah haha, makes sense not to put a Shih Tzu on Flea Medication during the Winter when they won't be outside. 

#4 GMA

GMA

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1538 posts
  • Interests:DIY, computers, my hubby and my furbaby
  • My Furkids:Bosco

• Sign: Virgo

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:40 AM

So just using monthly flea medication from April - October, is that a regional thing or could I do that here on the east coast?

#5 Luna

Luna

Gold Member

• Administrator
  • 7801 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:49 PM

Depends, Renee.  Here once we get a good hard freeze (generally before the end of October). the fleas are goners until it warms up in the spring (never before April).  I believe your climate is more temperate than ours, so you might need to give it longer.

#6 GMA

GMA

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1538 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:39 AM

Thanks Pam.  The vets around here like to give it year round so I guess I'll stick to that.

#7 Luna

Luna

Gold Member

• Administrator
  • 7801 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:39 AM

The vets EVERYWHERE like to give it year-round, so I'd take that with a large grain of salt.  Assuming you do get a hard freeze, it only takes one to kill the fleas (and mosquitoes!) off and then you're safe until temps are regularly in the 70s during the day.  The vets are also big on giving heartworm preventative year-round, but I have never been comfortable with that (although I did it when I lived in FL).  I mean, if there are no mosquitoes why give your dog poison every month?  Granted, it also prevents internal parasites (aka worms) but a quarterly prophylactic worming takes care of that as well.  And of course, take into account that I have a LOT of dogs to maintain so I've made it a point to find the least-expensive way to do that properly.  All in all, JMHO.

#8 GMA

GMA

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1538 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:18 PM

Something to consider Pam thanks for the insight.

#9 mimi07

mimi07

Gold Member

• Members
  • 621 posts
  • Interests:My grandkids, genealogy, love being outdoors and four-wheeling in my side by side and of course my furbabies, who love riding too.
  • My Furkids:Izzy, Cleo, Scout , and Leo the cat

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:01 PM

Don't know how much your dogs go outside. Mine are big housepups. They don't go out the door without me by their side and they are ready to return the second that I do. I was giving them frontline during the summer months, it always seemed to make them a little lethargic and icky feeling. I stopped using it except if I found some on them. I will find one once in a while during the bath. I just kill it a keep a watch out for more. I do give the heartworm every month, just because here, it costs a fortune to be heartworm tested each year so they can go back on it. My babies seem much happier and more energetic without the frontline, I would use it though if they needed it.

#10 Luna

Luna

Gold Member

• Administrator
  • 7801 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:34 PM

My vet insists on a heartworm test every year EVEN IF THE DOG IS ON IT YEAR-ROUND!!!!  Theory is that the dog might have spit it out, you missed it, so he/she wasn't protected.

After reading this and checking into it, I give ivermectin twice a year as per recommendation:

http://terriermandot...tworm-scam.html

#11 chrdso

chrdso

Silver Member

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • My Furkids:Zeedo

• Sign: Leo

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

Pam, thanks for the link. Definitely made me think regarding giving only what's needed.

I was looking at HeartGuard+ and Comfortis, But there could be an interaction with this combination (they say only if on larger doses of ivermectin, but there seem to be interaction reports on a lower dose combination too).

So, I need to find a flea med that can be used with HeartGuard.

I have Advantage Multi- but i need to do some more research. I don't think i need to give flea/worm meds with every heartworm dose (like Advantage Multi has). Less toxic chemicals the better!

Edited by chrdso, 02 September 2013 - 04:46 PM.

#12 Luna

Luna

Gold Member

• Administrator
  • 7801 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

Unless you are in an area where fleas are resistant and ticks are a serious problem, you can give Frontline Plus once every other month without problems.  Some people I know have even stretched it to 3 months.

#13 Milo'sMommy

Milo'sMommy

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • My Furkids:Milo

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:55 PM

Great reading....our vet gave Milo Vectra for fleas tick mosquito...I live by river ..Mosquitos are BAD...but I have read online it's no good...any suggestions? Aldo need recommendation for heart worm meds...she gave Iverhart in his goody bag but it was not right dose for him....

#14 Vicky & Pebbles

Vicky & Pebbles

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • My Furkids:Pebbles

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:50 PM

Wao! That article is really an eye opener! I basically only have to give heartworm medication twice a year to cover the 5 months of exposure in my area. It's amazing how many things we are scared with unnecessarily!

#15 Sophie's Haven

Sophie's Haven

Gold Member

• Members
  • 744 posts
  • Interests:Antiques, Gardening, and taking care of my forever paws
  • My Furkids:Sophie, Bailey, Missy, Lexie, Allie, Winnie, and Lucy

• Sign: Aries

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:26 AM

I use Frontline twice a year.......in the spring and later in the summer as our paws are outside a lot with us. Once a month I make a tea solution out of fresh rosemary and use that as a rinse when they are bathe. It is good for their coat and it kills fleas instantly. I spay all the bedding with watered down lavendar oil and will run a dab of lavendar oil on their backs after  a bath. I have had no problems with fleas. I do not like all the chemicals and avoid them when I can.

#16 Pickles' mama

Pickles' mama

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Teaching fourth grade!!
  • My Furkids:Pickles and Snickers

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:47 PM

Jeannine...can you explain in a little more detail the lavendar oil and the tea. I live in Tennessee, so maybe it will work well for me too!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Your Company Name