Grooming and putting in a bow in a very hyper puppy

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Precious'Mom

Precious'Mom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:1st and foremost my puppy,computer games,writing poetry, my family, my friends, the great outdoors and wildlife.
  • My Furkids:Precious

• Sign: Capricorn

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:36 PM

So, you can see the age of my puppy on my ticker below.  She is the most hyper puppy I have ever had or seen in my life.   e.g. today she had a hair sticking up in her eye scratching it.  Myself and my homemaker could not hold her to clip off that few hairs.  Finally after rumbling around with her for almost a half hour we got it trimmed with blunt small scissors.

Her hair on top her head is now long enough to come down and almost cover her eyes.  I have tried and tried to put a bow in to no avail.  Twice I got the hair tweezers around the hair and almost had the rubber band rolled off after struggling with her 20 minutes both times and she jerked away.

I am at wits ends as she also is going to need her nails trimmed this week.

What do I do to calm her down and get the kind of response I need from her?  I speak softly to her, love her, and once or twice said no sternly to her to no avail also.

She loves to be combed and brushed but anything else and she goes absolutely wild.

HELP !!!!

#2 Luna

Luna

Gold Member

• Administrator
  • 7952 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, orchids, gardening, yoga
  • My Furkids:Apparently too many to name here!

• Sign: Sagittarius

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:16 PM

It's a process, one where you have to be more stubborn than the dog...and it can take some time.    For some especially willful puppies, that actually involves holding them down (or having someone else do it) while you do what you need to do.  We start training puppies for full grooming when they are just a few weeks old and it often takes until they are 4 months or so for them to really be co-operative.

If you are consistent, eventually the puppy will give up and be quiet for grooming.

#3 Precious'Mom

Precious'Mom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:1st and foremost my puppy,computer games,writing poetry, my family, my friends, the great outdoors and wildlife.
  • My Furkids:Precious

• Sign: Capricorn

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:43 PM

There were 2 of us and we could not hold her down.  She is so tiny and fragile to try to be any rougher in holding her I fear we will hurt her.  She sure has a lot of strength for tiny girl.  Her little head is so small as is her body.

#4 Marlen

Marlen

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1778 posts
  • Interests:Anything that has to do with my furbaby, gardening, drawing ;)
  • My Furkids:Misha

• Sign: Libra

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:19 AM

Pam is so right but it also depends on the dog's temperament as well. My boy was calm, so he didn't mind, my girl is just like yours, full of energy. I started small sessions of grooming with her, getting her "acquainted" with all the supplies and if she misbehaved, I held her down gently and said "NO". It's going to take some time and try not to get agitated because dogs can sense that and they get nervous. Try grooming her during specific hours, every day. Doesn't have to be long, 5-20 minutes are ok. If something frightens her, work with her and reward with small treats every time she's nice. I used to give mine a small treat for each toenail I cut, it took me time but now they don't move an inch, so I don't have a hard time doing it and I know I won't accidentally cut anything I'm not supposed to lol

#5 Luna

Luna

Gold Member

• Administrator
  • 7952 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, orchids, gardening, yoga
  • My Furkids:Apparently too many to name here!

• Sign: Sagittarius

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:57 PM

Please Google "small dog syndrome" to learn a lot. 

#6 Pudgy_Bailey

Pudgy_Bailey

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:Dogs and animals and sweets and Bones and being happy and.....
  • My Furkids:BoyBoy, Bailey, Tigger

• Sign: Cancer

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:46 AM

My new puppy was exactly like that too :) it takes a while, but eventually you'll see her settling down for a hair tie slowly. We're still working on it too and Bailey's already 10 months ( oh man, that was FAST). She still hates brushing but we're getting better everyday.
Soon, we'll be doing it like my BoyBoy who just lies there :)

Did I mention she is hyper active? She runs like the Duracell bunny on TV, ALL DAY, I might add. I sometimes wonder if she is running on batteries.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Your Company Name