#1 oOShih Tzu LoveOo

oOShih Tzu LoveOo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1545 posts
  • My Furkids:Daisy & Brody

• Sign: Sagittarius

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:40 PM

I've been really curious to see how big Brody will be as an adult! What age do Shih Tzu typically stop growing?

#2 Luna

Luna

Gold Member

• Administrator
  • 8459 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, orchids, gardening, cooking, yoga, doing my nails!
  • My Furkids:Captain Jack and the Tzu Crew

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:07 AM

Most have pretty much got adult size around 8 months, although a few will fool you and keep growing a bit longer.  How big were mom and dad, and how old is Mr. Brody now...and what does he weigh?

#3 C&M

C&M

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • My Furkids:Coki

• Sign: Nothing Selected

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:07 PM

Mine stopped growing at 8 months. He's been the same (big) size ever since.

#4 Luna

Luna

Gold Member

• Administrator
  • 8459 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, orchids, gardening, cooking, yoga, doing my nails!
  • My Furkids:Captain Jack and the Tzu Crew

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:02 PM

Different "lines" mature at different rates, and this is true of most breeds.  An outcross litter (no relationship between sire and dam for at least 6 generations) is impossible to predict in any way.

Even a Breeder who has bred for decades and knows the dogs (and their ancestors!) s/he has been working with can never really predict adult size in more than a general way.  I can say that I prefer my dogs in the 11-12 pound range for show and breeding, but our most recent litter was sired by a dog that is a good 16 pounds (and an AMAZING dog, btw) and what I am seeing in the litter at 14 weeks is two that I expect to mature around 13-15 pounds and 3 that will run more in the 11-12 pound range.  Doesn't seem like a huge difference, but there is a BIG difference between 9 pounds and 16 pounds.  Even the people who breed the so-called "Tiny Toy, Imperial, Princess etc) Shih Tzu can't really predict adult weight.  Sometimes the smallest in a litter turns out to be the largest adult, and vice-versa.

I can say this because I've seen it happen so many times, and although I breed rarely it has certainly happened to me, lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Your Company Name