Photo

How Much Did Your Shih Tzu Weigh At 8 Weeks?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 tinytreasures

tinytreasures

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

• Sign: Sagittarius

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:03 PM

I am just curious to see how my new baby is measuring up!! She seems quite small for Shih Tzu...

Thanks,
Dawn

#2 BusterBoo

BusterBoo

I luv tzus

• Members
  • 4501 posts
  • My Furkids:Harley (RIP Aug 11/07) & Buster

• Sign: Pisces

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:31 PM

When we brought Buster to his first vet visit (age 9 weeks) I think he was about 4 lbs. Tzus come in all sizes so you will hear lots of different weights.

btw...I notice you are in Canada!! I live just outside of Ottawa!

#3 tinytreasures

tinytreasures

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:36 PM

Yay a fellow Canadian!! I am in a teeny town between London and Windsor Ontario...

I was thinking that the sizes would vary at 8 weeks...I was just curious..this baby seems so small and I was just making sure she was an ok size..she seems like a butterball but the scales say she is only 1 pound on the nose! Half the weight must be fur though as she is a fluffball lol...

Thanks for the welcome..

Dawn

#4 tzukeeper

tzukeeper

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6481 posts

• Sign: Nothing Selected

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:37 PM

I have 6 babies but can only remember 2 of their weights when I first got them. Kyli was 11 weeks old when I got her and she weighed 1lb 12ozs. She now weighs almost 7lbs at 13 months old. Munky was 2lbs 9ozs at 8 weeks. He now weighs right at 5lbs at 13 weeks.

#5 tinytreasures

tinytreasures

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:52 PM

I have 6 babies but can only remember 2 of their weights when I first got them. Kyli was 11 weeks old when I got her and she weighed 1lb 12ozs. She now weighs almost 7lbs at 13 months old. Munky was 2lbs 9ozs at 8 weeks. He now weighs right at 5lbs at 13 weeks.

Interesting!! I can imagine that our baby girl will weigh around that much then? Males are generally heavier right?

Dawn

#6 Sidda

Sidda

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • My Furkids:Sakura "Saki" Moon & Zatoichi "Ichi" Chan

• Sign: Virgo

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:54 PM

Sakura is 11 weeks, almost 12 weeks, and weighs a smidgen over 3lbs.
Here's a full body shot from a few days ago:
[attachment=4209:Picture_007.jpg]

She's all fluff, when she gets a bath she's no bigger than my hand!

#7 tzukeeper

tzukeeper

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6481 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:07 PM

Interesting!! I can imagine that our baby girl will weigh around that much then? Males are generally heavier right?

Dawn

This weight thing is a bit quirky. I have three boys. Of the two that are grown they weighed within ounces of each other at 14 weeks. Shandi was 4.9lbs and Yugi was 4.6lbs. But their bodies are very different. Yugi has a smaller build and weighs 11lbs. Shandi has a larger build and weighs 20 lbs. As far as the girls go....Pebbles and YaYa stay between 12 and 13 lbs. Kyli's parents were very small. Mom was 6 lbs and dad was 5lbs. Even so she is the only one of the litter (3 pups) that was small. The others are within the standard for Shih Tzus. Here is a photo of little Miss Kyli taken about a month ago on her 1st birthday.
[attachment=4210:phplH8bJRAM.jpg][attachment=4213:348325_1154028626.jpg]

Edited to add the second photo. It was taken just after I got her.

Edited by Chynnapink, 20 May 2007 - 08:18 PM.

#8 tinytreasures

tinytreasures

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:09 PM

Sakura is 11 weeks, almost 12 weeks, and weighs a smidgen over 3lbs.
Here's a full body shot from a few days ago:
[attachment=4209:Picture_007.jpg]
She's all fluff, when she gets a bath she's no bigger than my hand!

I havent had the pleasure of bathing our puppy yet..the groomer took care of that..so I didnt get to see her all wet...it should be cute!! Sakura is a total doll!! She is going to be a little one!!

#9 tinytreasures

tinytreasures

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:11 PM

This weight thing is a bit quirky. I have three boys. Of the two that are grown they weighed within ounces of each other at 14 weeks. Shandi was 4.9lbs and Yugi was 4.6lbs. But their bodies are very different. Yugi has a smaller build and weighs 11lbs. Shandi has a larger build and weighs 20 lbs. As far as the girls go....Pebbles and YaYa stay between 12 and 13 lbs. Kyli's parents were very small. Mom was 6 lbs and dad was 5lbs. Even so she is the only one of the litter (3 pups) that was small. The others are within the standard for Shih Tzus. Here is a photo of little Miss Kyli taken about a month ago on her 1st birthday.
[attachment=4210:phplH8bJRAM.jpg][attachment=4213:348325_1154028626.jpg]

Edited to add the second photo. It was taken just after I got her.

Kyli is sweet!! Love her colouring!! She looks very small for a one year old...happy belated birthday Kyli!!

Dawn

#10 *Dede*

*Dede*

living life to its fullest

• Members
  • 4213 posts
  • Interests:Cricket my guardian Angel baby, hubby and kids and other babies too. And my 2 beautiful grandkids
  • My Furkids:Cricket, Lily, Tiki

• Sign: Cancer

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:17 PM

Hello and Welcome...My Cricket was 3 lbs at 6 weeks old..but I guess that Lily was very small when she was that age cause she is only 7 lbs now at 27 months old..I really don't know for sure cause we rescued her from a abusive and neglective owner..

I am Dede from Arkansas...Cricket my baby is a light caramel color and my sweetheart and she is only 22 months old...my rescue girl is Lily white and gold and she is 27 months old...And my other dog is a 5 yr old standard manchester terrier...she and Lily are daddy's girls...

nice to meet you
Dede and the girls.

#11 tinytreasures

tinytreasures

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:31 PM

Awww Dede..your babies are sooo beautiful!! I love rescue stories!! We did small breed rescue for a while..its so rewarding isnt it??

Dawn

#12 Shih Tzus Mama

Shih Tzus Mama

A Little Dog Will Do Ya

• Members
  • 3048 posts
  • Interests:Movies, Music, Baking Cookies, Reading, & pets
    Love taking walks with the dogs.
    Daydreaming, would like a new home with lots of room for my pets to have fun
    Like wide open spaces in the country
    Favorite place is the seashore, can't get enough
    I could live on a boat
    I have a fascination for Pirates
  • My Furkids:5 Shih Tzus & 1 Blk Lab

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:40 PM

I can remember Tabitha weighed 2 lbs at 8 weeks. She seemed so tiny to me. Now she is a chunky girl weighing 13 lbs.

#13 tinytreasures

tinytreasures

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:46 PM

Wow Tabitha really grew didnt she...I guess there is no sure fire way to figure out how big they will get..

Dawn

#14 micki

micki

crazy dog lady

• Members
  • 1486 posts
  • My Furkids:foofoo, Joy, shushu bas,Nigel, daphne

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:16 PM

Smooch was 1.5 lbs at 8 weeks he is 9 months and he is around 8 lbs now Foofoo was 1 1/4 lb at 10 weeks and is 7.8 lbs at 1 yr old.

#15 ShihtzuBeauty

ShihtzuBeauty

My Peekapoo's Upset She Only Has 3 Tzus!

• Members
  • 17340 posts
  • Interests:My Babies, Eve Shih Tzu Born Feb9 2004 Taffy Peekapoo Born April28 2005 JoJo Shih Tzu Born Feb22 2006 Choco Shih Tzu Born Feb.1 2007

Loving My Grandson Ian Ray :) and my new Granddaughter Brynli Hope :)
  • My Furkids:Eve Taffy JoJo Choco

• Sign: Pisces

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:24 AM

Ahh I Loved the pic. of her in her bow, Cute! Eve my little grey girl at 9wks. was 4 1/4lbs. and JoJo my gold/white boy at 8wks. was 3 1/2lbs. Choco, my new baby just hit 5 1/2lbs. at 15wks. I don't have an early weight of Taffy my peekapoo, I didn't get her 'til she was 4mths. old.

Standard weight for a tzu as an adult is 9-16lbs.

Edited by Eve, 21 May 2007 - 07:25 AM.

#16 berrytzus

berrytzus

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1636 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:24 PM

Gingerbread was 3 lb. 3 oz. at 10 weeks and is now 11 pounds at almost 2 years old. Fudge was 3 lb. 6 oz. at only 8 weeks old. He's now about 7 pounds at 16 weeks. I think he's going to be a 13 pounder. We'll see! :head_hurts_kr:

#17 Sidda

Sidda

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • My Furkids:Sakura "Saki" Moon & Zatoichi "Ichi" Chan

• Sign: Virgo

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:20 AM

I actually hope Sakura stays small, I'm enjoying the fact that she's so manageable right now compared to my bulldog.

I can bathe her in my kitchen sink and groom her on the counter, of course picking her up and carrying her around with one hand has been verrrrry helpful, lol. Multitasking for the win!

#18 Jeff-Thao-Boaz

Jeff-Thao-Boaz

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • My Furkids:Boaz

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:36 PM

I'm so glad someone asked this question, because I have been curious too. Seems like the weight does vary greatly.

At 8 weeks, Boaz was 3.6 pounds but now at 9-1/2 weeks, he seems much bigger and heavier. Perhaps he's about 4 or so pounds now. We'll find out next week at his next vet check-up.

Were did my little puppy go?? :blush-anim-cl: He is growing so fast. He's my chunky monkey...stocky and hairy!

Edited by Thao, 01 June 2007 - 05:37 PM.

#19 *Dede*

*Dede*

living life to its fullest

• Members
  • 4213 posts
  • Interests:Cricket my guardian Angel baby, hubby and kids and other babies too. And my 2 beautiful grandkids
  • My Furkids:Cricket, Lily, Tiki

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:06 PM

Awww Dede..your babies are sooo beautiful!! I love rescue stories!! We did small breed rescue for a while..its so rewarding isnt it??

Dawn

Dear Dawn yes it is so rewarding to rescue unloved and unwanted sweet babies..I would have more if I could but my illnesses keep me limited on what I can do...We had to teach her everything like from the beginning..she didn't even know how to play or get loved or share with the other dogs...she is so sweet and still learning now...and we had her now for over 10 months...she is very sweet now...
take care
Dede and the girls.

#20 Sheen

Sheen

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • My Furkids:Bailey

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:35 PM

Hana was 3.2 lbs at 8 weeks and she grew to be a 10 lb adult. Bailey was under 2 lbs at 8 weeks and currently weighs 4.8 lbs at 8 mths old. I'm still waiting for Bailey to grow into some of Hana's old dresses, but it looks like she may never be big enough to wear her big sister's clothes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Your Company Name