beckysmom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:My #1 interest is my furkids Becky and Madison
  • My Furkids:Becky

• Sign: Nothing Selected

Posted 18 October 2007 - 01:40 PM

Becky will be 4 months old in Nov and I was woundering when would be the ideal time to have her first hair cut, I live on a farm so although they look gorgeous with there hair long it just isn't practical for me, her hai right now is more than 2 inches long and it is very fluffy, I am upset because her root are lighting up alot...I was hoping she would stay dark brown :blush-anim-cl:

#2 Kell&Leo

Kell&Leo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 486 posts
  • My Furkids:Leo & Rogan

• Sign: Cancer

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:53 PM

I'm thinking she could already go in for a trim so that she'll get used to it. I'm not sure about groomers but I groom my tzu myself and I always pull ear hair out, trim paws, nails, around the eyes, tummy, tidbits and body.

#3 Sunlite

Sunlite

Show Time!

• Administrator
  • 8062 posts
  • My Furkids:Baby, Emma, Adele and 2 miserable kitties

• Sign: Libra

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:57 PM

You should take her at any time now as you'll want her to be used to being handled by someone other than yourself if a groomer is going to be giving her cuts. :blush-anim-cl:
They do lighten up in color, and sometimes it'll continue to change even as an adult. :)

#4 Sally

Sally

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2872 posts
  • Interests:Trudy! Psp and computer work, stained glass, gardening, crafts.

• Sign: Scorpio

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:23 PM

They don't all get light. Trudy changed colors, but didn't lighten. They may lighten then darken years later. Brindles do anyway. They are such interesting doggies!

I do not use a groomer. Trudy was hurt by one years ago. You can learn to groom at home. Much less stress for them. If you use a groomer, be careful and don't leave him there all day. Also, make sure all shots are given. Kennel cough and things like that are easier to get at groomers and boarding. Just have him there for a little while. Ask if you can stay. You can bathe and let them trim.

Just easier at home really. Too many accidents happen at the groomer.
Posted Image

#5 Shih Tzus Mama

Shih Tzus Mama

A Little Dog Will Do Ya

• Members
  • 3048 posts
  • Interests:Movies, Music, Baking Cookies, Reading, & pets
    Love taking walks with the dogs.
    Daydreaming, would like a new home with lots of room for my pets to have fun
    Like wide open spaces in the country
    Favorite place is the seashore, can't get enough
    I could live on a boat
    I have a fascination for Pirates
  • My Furkids:5 Shih Tzus & 1 Blk Lab

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:34 PM

I started brushing mine right away as puppies. I started grooming my own dogs due to an accident at the groomers to one of my dogs. My Tabitha was a baby and had her eyelid cut by the clippers. Make sure if you do take her to a groomer, stay with her and ask for the express grooming. She'll get done right away and not have to be left all day. Please careful who you take her to. Get references from other people you know that use a groomer.

#6 GizmoHappyKitty

GizmoHappyKitty

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1129 posts
  • Interests:hiking, biking, photography
  • My Furkids:Happy and Miss Kitty R.I.P sweet Gizmo

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:17 AM

As soon as she's had all her shots she can go in for a grooming. Usually the first groom is more of a bath and a tidy up just to get them used to the shop and the noises. This way too they don't have to stay very long and it will be less stressful for them - good to make it as stress free as possible the first visit so that they will not stress every time they have to go and get groomed. We have some customers that will bring their pups in to the shop just to get them familiar with it and will stay with them while we just clip the nails and trim around the eyes and this way the pup gets familiar with the shop but is only there for a very short time (like 10 - 15 min max).

~Michele and the pups~

#7 Tzu_Luver

Tzu_Luver

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2150 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 08:36 AM

The groomers I've taken mine to all say 4 months is the idea age for there first grooming since there hair is finally long enough to do something with. Any younger and there hair is usually so short anyways it's not worth the money to pay to have them groomed. Typically they just trim around there face, paws, sanitary areas, and trim there toe nails on there first groom. But if you want her hair on her body cut short already just say so and they'll do it.

#8 beckysmom

beckysmom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:My #1 interest is my furkids Becky and Madison
  • My Furkids:Becky

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:02 AM

Thanx alot
she will be four months next month so I will take her in on Nov 4, it will be hard to leave
her there, im very attached to my babies lol

#9 Tzu_Luver

Tzu_Luver

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2150 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:06 AM

Thanx alot
she will be four months next month so I will take her in on Nov 4, it will be hard to leave
her there, im very attached to my babies lol

If you have time, some groomers will let you stay. Especially with it being her first hair cut. However, I stayed with Ming Ming once and he became wild and wanted to get away from the groomer so he could be with me. So the groomer suggested I leave. So I left but they have huge windows so I stood and watched from the window, making sure Ming Ming couldn't see me.

#10 ShihtzuBeauty

ShihtzuBeauty

My Peekapoo's Upset She Only Has 3 Tzus!

• Members
  • 17340 posts
  • Interests:My Babies, Eve Shih Tzu Born Feb9 2004 Taffy Peekapoo Born April28 2005 JoJo Shih Tzu Born Feb22 2006 Choco Shih Tzu Born Feb.1 2007

Loving My Grandson Ian Ray :) and my new Granddaughter Brynli Hope :)
  • My Furkids:Eve Taffy JoJo Choco

• Sign: Pisces

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:54 AM

My own personal experience is to do it as early as possible that way they get used to being handled and the routine of the grooming. Eve had her first puppy cut at 7mths. I just couldn't part w/the long coat 'til then but from 8wks. on all of mine have been handled and groomed everyday though they are still Stinkers when we're doing it. :signthankspin:

I'm actually going to give them a teddy cut tomorrow and I'm even considering giving Choco the same trim. I've never cut his body but I know he too would be happier shorter like his brother and sisters. His hair is soo easy to manage it's not as cottony as Eve and JoJo's and it never matts. I just think he would be happier shorter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Your Company Name