#1 oreo's little brother

oreo's little brother

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • My Furkids:snickers bar

• Sign: Nothing Selected

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:37 PM

rumor has it that it's going to be getting pretty darn cold in my neck of the woods :pray: and i was wondering about dressing my little boy for it. he loves his walks, twice a day, once in the late morning or early afternoon, and once late night/early morning. it's going to be in the high 50's, low 60's during the day, and into the 30's and low 40's at night. does their long coat protect them from the cold wind at all? and what about their little ears and noses and lips, not to mention their little paws on cold concrete? if my hands and ears are cold and numb, does that mean his are, too?? what does everybody else in the colder climates do???

#2 tzukeeper

tzukeeper

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6481 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:31 AM

The only one of mine that really reacts to the cold is Kyli. I guess because she is smaller and has less body fat she gets cold quicker. She has a huge wardrobe and seems to like the warmth a sweater or coat provides on a cold day. The others don't really seem bothered by the cold. But then we don't have many really cold days here in Georgia. Our winters have become rather tropical. I would love to see some snow this year :coffee:

#3 micki

micki

crazy dog lady

• Members
  • 1486 posts
  • My Furkids:foofoo, Joy, shushu bas,Nigel, daphne

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:38 AM

my tzus like the cold when they are full coated but with a short cut i do put their caots on. It all depends how long they are going to be outside and if it is wet too.

#4 ShihtzuBeauty

ShihtzuBeauty

My Peekapoo's Upset She Only Has 3 Tzus!

• Members
  • 17340 posts
  • Interests:My Babies, Eve Shih Tzu Born Feb9 2004 Taffy Peekapoo Born April28 2005 JoJo Shih Tzu Born Feb22 2006 Choco Shih Tzu Born Feb.1 2007

Loving My Grandson Ian Ray :) and my new Granddaughter Brynli Hope :)
  • My Furkids:Eve Taffy JoJo Choco

• Sign: Pisces

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:36 AM

All of mine tolerate the cold really well except Taffy. I keep mine either in a pup or a teddy cut so when we go out to do our business or for walks I do put their sweatshirts on. They are hooded too. Even when Eve was in a full coat I still put her sweaters on I just made sure to brush her when I took it off.

#5 shihtzumomof2

shihtzumomof2

If the Tzu fits.....

• Members
  • 1764 posts
  • Interests:Pets, gardening, pets, crafts, knitting, crochet, computer, pets, relaxing and enjoying my home and my pets. :-) I am also a realtor.
  • My Furkids:Casey, Kylie and my Angel Cricket (RIP 2-4-2010)

• Sign: Capricorn

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:41 AM

My Cricket doesn't mind the cold, even with a short cut. Casey is the one who doesn't like her feet to be cold. She actually limps if she is out too long in the snow. I bought her boots, but she doesn't like them at all. My yard is fenced in for them, but I never let them outside very long, especially in the winter. They are pretty much trained to go out, do their business and get back in. During the summer they love to be outside and just hang out on the patio. What a life they have!!!

#6 mydogismybaby

mydogismybaby

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • My Furkids:Jeffie

• Sign: Libra

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:59 AM

I keep Jeffie in a puppy cut year round. When we used to live in MI during the winter he LOOOVED the snow. He would roll around in it and play with it lol. I dont think he minded the cold one bit. He loved to put his face in the snow and push it into a pile then bite it LOL sooooo cute. So basically his whole face was covered in the snow. He would only be out for maybe 5-10 minutes tops though. It always was a little frustrating though cause he would have little snowballs stuck alllllllll over him. Lol I would have to get out the blowdryer and brush every time he went out. Such a fuss lol. Good thing I work from home and there is no snow here in SC. :coffee: Then he would bark to let me know he wanted back in. I have never put any clothes on him...he probably would not like it now since he never has experienced it.

All in all I think he would let you know if he was cold. i.e. not want to go on a walk, limp like someone else said, or even possibly whine. But if your guy has worn clothes before I think it would be better safe then sorry. But I have heard that clothes create matts if you dont brush them out ASAP when the clothes come off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Your Company Name