#1 Benji's Mom

Benji's Mom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • My Furkids:Priya, Mali, Jaz, & Chico-Chi's and Benji-Tzu

• Sign: Aries

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:33 AM

I took Benji to the Groomer last wednesday, he's about 5 months old. I wanted him trimmed to what I would call, a scruffy puppy cut. With the tail not trimmed and topnot and long ears. She said he wouldn't do this until he has his undercoat? I've never had a long haired dog that needed grooming. Only my chihuahuas...so why is this or is it even true.
I want him shorter. Right now with the baby hair, he looks ratty no matter how much I comb him.
OH, she also told me only to use a grayhound comb? No brushes. This lady shows Shih Tzu's and has 5 of her own. Is anything she's saying true? I'm 1/2 tempted to take him to another groomer this weekened.

#2 CrazyTzuLady

CrazyTzuLady

My dog's are not spoiled...I'm just well trained!

• Members
  • 9090 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband of 19 years George and my kids George III 20 and Kevin 16. The PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!! Go Steelers! Starbucks Caramel Macchiato's, Yummo!! I am addicted! :) Of course spoiling Gizmo, Delila, Thai Thai, Huey and our newest little guy Freddie is always a lot of fun! I love to cook, read, garden and I also love to scrapbook when I have time, not so much since the pups have come along though.
  • My Furkids:Gizmo, Delila, Thai, Huey and Freddie

• Sign: Libra

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:40 AM

I've had all of mine go for grooming as soon as they were done with their series of vaccines. I didn't have Gizmo in a teddy cut till he was around 6 or 7 months old but Delila has been in a teddy cut since she was around 5 months. Maybe she just does'nt want to cut him down because she likes the long hair I am not sure, I have never heard anything about having to have their undercoat first. :)

#3 ShihtzuBeauty

ShihtzuBeauty

My Peekapoo's Upset She Only Has 3 Tzus!

• Members
  • 17340 posts
  • Interests:My Babies, Eve Shih Tzu Born Feb9 2004 Taffy Peekapoo Born April28 2005 JoJo Shih Tzu Born Feb22 2006 Choco Shih Tzu Born Feb.1 2007

Loving My Grandson Ian Ray :) and my new Granddaughter Brynli Hope :)
  • My Furkids:Eve Taffy JoJo Choco

• Sign: Pisces

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:41 AM

Follow your gut where groomers are concerned. :) All of mine started getting trims at about 4mths. My friend/groomer used to do them 'til I started doing them here at home. We would also leave the ears long and just use the scissors to trim up the paws and bottom area. We would use the small trimmers for the pads of the feet. Ofcourse too keeping an eye on the ear hair. Not too much is needed when they are this age, ahh the simple groomings. :(

I Love my metal comb. I use it on their shorter coats and when they are a bit longer. I also Love my soft tipped pin brush, some like them some don't. It's a matter of preferance. :)

#4 Benji's Mom

Benji's Mom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:43 AM

Everything I've read never said anything about it either, maybe Delilah had her undercoat at 5 months? Who knows. He just looks ...rough LOL.

#5 Benji's Mom

Benji's Mom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:47 AM

I had used a pin brush on him until he went to be groomed. But I"m going to start again, its a lot faster to get him done with his wiggly butt.

I did like the groomer, she was very nice, and her dogs looked great. She spent 30 minutes talking to me and showed me all her dogs and everything, he did look good when I picked him up, but its just inbetween being long and short, and not cute. I would rather just have him shorter for the summer, but not if theres a real reason to not do it, other than her personal preference of keeping them in full coat.

#6 ShihtzuBeauty

ShihtzuBeauty

• Members
  • 17340 posts
  • Interests:My Babies, Eve Shih Tzu Born Feb9 2004 Taffy Peekapoo Born April28 2005 JoJo Shih Tzu Born Feb22 2006 Choco Shih Tzu Born Feb.1 2007

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:53 AM

I love that puppy fuzz. :) I know w/Eve she was in a long coat by 7mths. and this was the age that she got her first puppy cut. I just followed suit w/my other kids. Choco had such a beautiful, soft, wavy coat thats soo easy to manage, he was just over a yr. before I put him in a puppy cut. I only did it because now w/my life being soo much busier than before I don't have 2hrs. a day everyday to brush all 4 of them, this is easier for us.

#7 Benji's Mom

Benji's Mom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:58 AM

He takes no time to brush, 5 minutes if that. He doesn't mat or anything, probably because it sjust puppy fuzz? lol. But he acts SO hot. Always panting. I don't keep my house hot or anything, if anything its cold, my chihuahua's are shivering and he's panting. I thought a clip would make him a little happier.

#8 CrazyTzuLady

CrazyTzuLady

My dog's are not spoiled...I'm just well trained!

• Members
  • 9090 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband of 19 years George and my kids George III 20 and Kevin 16. The PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!! Go Steelers! Starbucks Caramel Macchiato's, Yummo!! I am addicted! :) Of course spoiling Gizmo, Delila, Thai Thai, Huey and our newest little guy Freddie is always a lot of fun! I love to cook, read, garden and I also love to scrapbook when I have time, not so much since the pups have come along though.
  • My Furkids:Gizmo, Delila, Thai, Huey and Freddie

• Sign: Libra

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:02 AM

That's why I originally had Gizmo cut down was because he was constantly panting. I think he is much more comfortable with the shorter hair. When I got Delila at around 5 months I just started having her clipped right from then. Some people say that the long hair does'nt make them hot, I tend to disagree with that JMHO, but they do not pant all the time without all of the hair.

#9 ShihtzuBeauty

ShihtzuBeauty

• Members
  • 17340 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:27 AM

All of mine w/the exception of Taffy no matter what length their hair is Love laying on the laminate or lanolium floors and JoJo LOVES laying on the register when the central air is on. :)

#10 GizmoHappyKitty

GizmoHappyKitty

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1129 posts
  • Interests:hiking, biking, photography
  • My Furkids:Happy and Miss Kitty R.I.P sweet Gizmo

• Sign: Cancer

Posted 07 May 2008 - 12:42 PM

I gave Gizmo his first haircut when he was about 3 1/2 months old and Miss Kitty didn't get clipped to her first puppy cut until she was about 6 or 7 mo. old. Also, when I leave Kitty in a longer coat I like to shave a tunnel down her underside to keep her cooler; this way when she lies down on the cool floor she can feel the coolness easier. I will usually shave the area down the miiddle of her underside from just behind the front legs all the way down to the belly area with my 7F blade, keeps her cooler and isn't visible when she is standing up.

I do prefer to use a metal comb when I comb mine out, especially once they get past the puppy stage and start blowing their coat; from that point on they really need to be combed first then brushed, so it's good to get them used to the comb now. I also follow with a pin brush after they've been all combed out, or sometimes I brush first then comb and then brush again. I find it's easier to give them their first real haircut when you start them off with little puppy trims as soon as they have all their puppy shots. I like to just use a 1/2 inch snap on comb on the pups with a #30 blade and just take some of that puppy fuzz off for their first haircut. This gets them used to the clippers and makes the next real haircut easier to do. Here's a pic of my Grandpup Chloe when she came to me at 4 mo. for her first puppy cut.

Before:
Posted Image

After
Posted Image

And here's her brother Smokey before and after his first haircut at 5 mo. old.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Michele and the pups

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Your Company Name