#1 lauriejw

lauriejw

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • My Furkids:Elvis

• Sign: Nothing Selected

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:05 PM

I think this has been discussed before, but I can't find it, try as I might.

A coworker's friend just got a Shih Tzu puppy, 9 weeks old, weighs about 4 pounds. She says it's a "Miniature Shih Tzu," and has been told it will grow to weigh about 5 pounds.

is there such a thing as a Miniature Shih Tzu?

I think my Elvis is a bit on the larger end of the breed standard at 13-15 pounds, but he was a little over 4 pounds when I got him at 7 weeks. So I'm a bit skeptical of the maximum 5 pounds claim. Cute puppy, though, I've seen pics.

#2 shihtzumomof2

shihtzumomof2

If the Tzu fits.....

• Members
  • 1764 posts
  • Interests:Pets, gardening, pets, crafts, knitting, crochet, computer, pets, relaxing and enjoying my home and my pets. :-) I am also a realtor.
  • My Furkids:Casey, Kylie and my Angel Cricket (RIP 2-4-2010)

• Sign: Capricorn

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:10 PM

There are what they call "Imperial" Shih Tzu's which are bred to be smaller. But if this puppy is 4 lbs at 9 weeks, he is definitely going to be much more than 5 lbs. full grown. There is no way this dog will only gain one more pound in the next 10 months. But, I guess time will tell.

#3 tzukeeper

tzukeeper

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6481 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:10 PM

There are some very small Shih Tzu out there. Some even weighing in at 5lbs as an adult. But if your friends puppy already weighs in at 4lbs at 9weeks I'd say he is surely going to gain way more than a 1lb over the next year. My Opie weighed 2lbs at 9 weeks and now weighs in at 13 lbs and I'm not sure he is done growing yet. :blush-anim-cl:

#4 MisterMom

MisterMom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1008 posts
  • My Furkids:Angel (10) Missy (7) Coco (3.5 died) Brandi (2.5)

• Sign: Sagittarius

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:54 PM

Coco is not quite 3#'s at 3 months. I hope she gets a growth spurt !!

#5 Ellie

Ellie

Gold Member

• Members
  • 942 posts
  • My Furkids:Chloe, Sophie, Pepper & Snickers

• Sign: Libra

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:46 PM

I agree. A puppy weighing 4lbs at 9 weeks will be much bigger than 5lbs when full grown. Snickers was about 3 lbs when I got him. He is now 10 months old and weighs in at 10lbs

#6 CrazyTzuLady

CrazyTzuLady

My dog's are not spoiled...I'm just well trained!

• Members
  • 9090 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband of 19 years George and my kids George III 20 and Kevin 16. The PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!! Go Steelers! Starbucks Caramel Macchiato's, Yummo!! I am addicted! :) Of course spoiling Gizmo, Delila, Thai Thai, Huey and our newest little guy Freddie is always a lot of fun! I love to cook, read, garden and I also love to scrapbook when I have time, not so much since the pups have come along though.
  • My Furkids:Gizmo, Delila, Thai, Huey and Freddie

• Sign: Libra

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:51 PM

I agree to, when I got Gizmo at 8 weeks he was about 4 lbs and I just weighed him today and he is 14.6 lbs :tapfingers5rg: he is 16 months old.

#7 ngandkoi

ngandkoi

shihtzu galore

• Members
  • 1026 posts
  • Interests:showing..breeding..reading..learning..chatting..Shihtzu and more Shihtzu
  • My Furkids:ng, madi, chutney, sensei, bushi, masami, joto

• Sign: Scorpio

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:57 PM

we usually like our puppies to be 3 1/2lb to 4lb at 8 weeks old as they usually make the standard at 13lb - 16lb when adult.....
the standard over here is 10 1/2lb to 17lb so a big difference but nobody would want a 10lb er as it would be too small...i had a runt once in a litter she was 2 1/2 oz born and as an adult she was 10lb exactly they called her millie for millimetre...she was healthy but was sold as pet only with restriction as she was far to small for breeding as they can and do have normal size puppies so causing a c/section and all the risks that go with it....
i would think that the puppies would be a standard weight when grown...what were the parents and grandparents were they small ...even with small parents the offspring can be normal size.....

rule of thumb is 3 1/2lb at 8 weeks means 13lb or more..at 12 weeks usually it is one third of adult weight so a 4lb puppy at 12 weeks usually will be 12lb adult weight....this is only a rough guide

#8 Cindy74

Cindy74

Silver Member

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • My Furkids:Pixel and Widget

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:15 PM

Widget was 4 lbs at 12 weeks and is now 9.8 lbs at one year. She will fill out some more.

#9 mel

mel

Zoe Girl

• Members
  • 2899 posts
  • Interests:Cooking for my furkids, walks, movies, and working on the computer. Also like meeting new friends.
  • My Furkids:Bandit,Bailey,Riley,Zoe,Miracle,Buddy,Precious

• Sign: Gemini

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:40 PM

I think this has been discussed before, but I can't find it, try as I might.

A coworker's friend just got a Shih Tzu puppy, 9 weeks old, weighs about 4 pounds. She says it's a "Miniature Shih Tzu," and has been told it will grow to weigh about 5 pounds.

is there such a thing as a Miniature Shih Tzu?

I think my Elvis is a bit on the larger end of the breed standard at 13-15 pounds, but he was a little over 4 pounds when I got him at 7 weeks. So I'm a bit skeptical of the maximum 5 pounds claim. Cute puppy, though, I've seen pics.

My Precious only weighs 5 pounds and she is 16 months old. She looks and still acts like a puppy. She is extremely hyper. Everywhere I go people comment on what a sweet puppy I have. I tell them she is an adult and they cannot believe it. When she had her booster shots last month, a lady at the vets there came up to me and said is that a full grown one? I told her yes, so I guess she had seen different sizes of shih-tzus.

Edited by mel, 12 May 2008 - 05:41 PM.

#10 tashi love

tashi love

When I make a mistake I do it perfectly!

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:43 PM

There is no such thing as a miniature Shih Tzu or an Imperial Shih Tzu, it is just a marketing scam by less than reputable breeders to make money. Yes there are undersized and oversized dogs that do not fit the breed standard, but that is true with many dog breeds. Intentionally breeding small dogs to suit fashion trends is risky, as there can be skeletal and other problems.

#11 Breetzu

Breetzu

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • My Furkids:Breezee & the Golden Gang!

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:22 PM

There is no such thing as a miniature Shih Tzu or an Imperial Shih Tzu, it is just a marketing scam by less than reputable breeders to make money. Yes there are undersized and oversized dogs that do not fit the breed standard, but that is true with many dog breeds. Intentionally breeding small dogs to suit fashion trends is risky, as there can be skeletal and other problems.

Agreed completely

#12 FairyTail Josette

FairyTail Josette

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7932 posts
  • My Furkids:Josey, Cody, Mandy

• Sign: Leo

Posted 13 May 2008 - 09:53 AM

:mf_seehearspeak: One pound of growth the first year? Either the breeder is inexperienced or pulling your coworkers friend's leg. I tend to think its the latter. Does your coworkers friend believe this? I hope she's not disappointed when her puppy grows more than 1 lb. this yr. :hug:

We can only hope she grows much more than 1 lb her first year. Josey is tiny, she weighed 1 lb 7 oz at 4 months old! With slow growth, my vet and the breeder's vet was concerned about a liver shunt. Thank god, she's healthy. (Her brothers/sisters are double and triple her size.) She's about 1 yrs old and weighs a little over 4 1/2 lbs. now.

#13 Luna

Luna

Gold Member

• Administrator
  • 8224 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, orchids, gardening, cooking, yoga, doing my nails!
  • My Furkids:Captain Jack and the Tzu Crew

Posted 13 May 2008 - 09:58 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself. BTW, if that pup weighs 4 pounds at 9 weeks it will probably mature at the top end of the standard (around 16 pounds, possibly more).

#14 lauriejw

lauriejw

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • My Furkids:Elvis

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:26 AM

I have a feeling it's one of those scams by less than reputable breeders; I'm sure this puppy will grow to be around Elvis-sized.

While I've seen tiny Shih Tzus before, the one in particular I saw was a tiny little black one. Her owner told me that her sister was the breeder, and that she ended up with the dog because her sister (a reputable breeder) didn't want to offer it for sale.

I expect that for someone who wants a tiny dog - my Elvis, for instance, is a little dog, but he's quite sturdy and wouldn't be considered tiny - an "Imperial" or "Miniature" Shih Tzu would be appealing, if they don't consider the possible health problems.

#15 Sammy and Su Lee's Mom

Sammy and Su Lee's Mom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1138 posts
  • Interests:Shih tzus, Shih tzus, Shih tzus, gardening, embroidery and oh did I mention Shih tzus.
  • My Furkids:Sammy

• Sign: Pisces

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:39 AM

my neighbor has a shih tzu she bought as a imperial puppy for big bucks $$$$$$$$$$, he is now 4 years old and weighs 16 lbs, the only thing my neighbor has that is small after buy the puppy is her wallet :mf_seehearspeak:

#16 tzukeeper

tzukeeper

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6481 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:05 PM

I found this website while searching for info on Shih Tzu colors. Quite an interesting site about a few breeders who are trying to gain recognition for what they call the Chinese Imperial Dog. What I found most interesting is that in looking at these breeders websites the puppies they produce are predominately standard size Shih Tzu. Let me say that I am not bothered by the term minature or imperial. I have one of these "small" Shih Tzu and she is wonderful. However I am opposed to breeders charging outrageous prices because of the size of a dog. Most often the dogs I see them calling imperials seem to be a standard size Shih Tzu. I feel very sorry for folks who do not educate themselves against these types of scams.

http://www.cidclub.com/

#17 My2Tzus

My2Tzus

Gold Member

• Members
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:Well obviously I love animals, especially my two furkids Monkey and Cupcake. I also enjoy the beach, camping, reading, music and movies.<br /><br />I work from home full time in the network marketing direct sales industry. Working from home not only allows me to be a full time parent two my furbabies but also provides many other great benefits.<br /><br />I'm definitely a people person and enjoy helping and meeting new people. I look forward to making some new friends in this community.
  • My Furkids:Monkey & Cupcake

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:50 PM

I've decided to call mine Royal Shih Tzu :mf_seehearspeak:

Edited by My2Tzus, 13 May 2008 - 01:51 PM.

#18 tzuhouse

tzuhouse

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7229 posts
  • My Furkids:Josie, Maddy and Rudy

• Sign: Scorpio

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:54 PM

Too funny Jay, yes, I love the term, they all certainly think they are "Royal", so I too will adopt your term.....Royal Josie and Royal Maddy....cute...BTW, what do yours weigh now? I think they are close in age to my Maddy, who is 6 1/2 lbs at a little over 5 months.

#19 mel

mel

Zoe Girl

• Members
  • 2899 posts
  • Interests:Cooking for my furkids, walks, movies, and working on the computer. Also like meeting new friends.
  • My Furkids:Bandit,Bailey,Riley,Zoe,Miracle,Buddy,Precious

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:14 PM

I found this website while searching for info on Shih Tzu colors. Quite an interesting site about a few breeders who are trying to gain recognition for what they call the Chinese Imperial Dog. What I found most interesting is that in looking at these breeders websites the puppies they produce are predominately standard size Shih Tzu. Let me say that I am not bothered by the term minature or imperial. I have one of these "small" Shih Tzu and she is wonderful. However I am opposed to breeders charging outrageous prices because of the size of a dog. Most often the dogs I see them calling imperials seem to be a standard size Shih Tzu. I feel very sorry for folks who do not educate themselves against these types of scams.

http://www.cidclub.com/

I agree totally tzukeeper. I have one to and she is also wonderful. I can't imagine life without her.

#20 Sammy and Su Lee's Mom

Sammy and Su Lee's Mom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1138 posts
  • Interests:Shih tzus, Shih tzus, Shih tzus, gardening, embroidery and oh did I mention Shih tzus.
  • My Furkids:Sammy

• Sign: Pisces

Posted 13 May 2008 - 08:36 PM

There is a little one on our block, he is 5 years old and weighs 5 lbs, pee wee is his name and he is a volenteer at the hospitals, his hospital picture ID is bigger than he is :chickendance: he is adorable and they are very lucky as he is very healthy.

Edited by Daisysmom, 13 May 2008 - 08:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Your Company Name