#1 Gizzie and Lola's Mom

Gizzie and Lola's Mom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • My Furkids:Tai, Gizmo and Lola

• Sign: Aries

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:19 AM

I'm sure this subject has come up here alot, but I guess I need some education again. LOL I know the anal glands need to be expressed when they are full. I've never had to do that with any of my chows. Our vet does it when he has them in there for surgery just as part of whatever he's doing, and one of my large furkids was kind enough to express his anal glands while we were lifting him up on the exam table once. LOL But like I said, I've never had to do it myself. These big guys have done it on their own. Is that the same with shih tzu or do they have to have help expressing their anal glands all of the time? I have noticed alot here that your furbabies have needed help. Is that a shih tzu, or small dog in general thing? Or can they for the most part take care of that on their own?

#2 ShihtzuBeauty

ShihtzuBeauty

My Peekapoo's Upset She Only Has 3 Tzus!

• Members
  • 17340 posts
  • Interests:My Babies, Eve Shih Tzu Born Feb9 2004 Taffy Peekapoo Born April28 2005 JoJo Shih Tzu Born Feb22 2006 Choco Shih Tzu Born Feb.1 2007

Loving My Grandson Ian Ray :) and my new Granddaughter Brynli Hope :)
  • My Furkids:Eve Taffy JoJo Choco

• Sign: Pisces

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:37 AM

Mine all let me know when they need it done either by the smell or they scoot. I generally will do it in their bath once every mth. or so. Here's a link to a video showing ya how you can do it it's not hard but I would do it in the bath while their bottoms are soapy, helps w/the smell. :blush-anim-cl:

#3 Luna

Luna

Gold Member

• Administrator
  • 7931 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, orchids, gardening, yoga
  • My Furkids:Apparently too many to name here!

• Sign: Sagittarius

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:38 AM

I don't even do anal glands on grooming dogs unless it's specifically requested. None of mine have any problems, so I don't mess with them. Generally, if the dog has a firm stool the glands are expressed during defecation. I would say that unless yours is scooting or licking constantly just leave 'em be; most dogs DON'T have problems with gland impaction.

#4 Cackle

Cackle

I'm not sure I'm adult yet.

• Members
  • 6666 posts
  • Interests:Shih tzu, Paint Shop Pro....and my family :-) not really in that order

• Sign: Virgo

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:04 PM

My dogs have never had it done. They have been fine.

#5 janemin

janemin

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2468 posts
  • Interests:My three little Tzus Penny,Oliver and Charlie,My Kids,My Grandchildren.Anything British(I was born in England)Taking photographs.
  • My Furkids:Penny,Oliver and Charlie

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:24 PM

I've never had to do mine,thank goodness.

#6 Gizzie and Lola's Mom

Gizzie and Lola's Mom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:04 AM

I don't even do anal glands on grooming dogs unless it's specifically requested. None of mine have any problems, so I don't mess with them. Generally, if the dog has a firm stool the glands are expressed during defecation. I would say that unless yours is scooting or licking constantly just leave 'em be; most dogs DON'T have problems with gland impaction.

Thanks Pam and everyone else who responded. I knew I'd never had any problem with it before with any of my other dogs. That's why I wondered if it was a Tzu or little dog thing to have problems. Obviously I wouldn't let any of mine suffer, but on the flip side of that coin, I'm sure glad that unless they have problems, I don't need to mess with it. I smelled it once, that was plenty for me. LOL

#7 shihtzumomof2

shihtzumomof2

If the Tzu fits.....

• Members
  • 1764 posts
  • Interests:Pets, gardening, pets, crafts, knitting, crochet, computer, pets, relaxing and enjoying my home and my pets. :-) I am also a realtor.
  • My Furkids:Casey, Kylie and my Angel Cricket (RIP 2-4-2010)

• Sign: Capricorn

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:19 AM

Yeah, that smell is enough to make the dead rise! Cricket has always had to have her's expressed. Casey just recently started having the need for it and she is 9 years old. Kylie seems to be OK for now. I've watched the video and the vet has shown me, but I still am not successful at doing it and I'm afraid of hurting them.

#8 Luna

Luna

Gold Member

• Administrator
  • 7931 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, orchids, gardening, yoga
  • My Furkids:Apparently too many to name here!

• Sign: Sagittarius

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:44 AM

I really feel that anal glands are a job for the vet...and I've worked for a vet so I know how it's done. One of my groomers once went to do the anal glands on a dog that didn't appear to be impacted or have any problems, and sure enough the gland ruptured and what came out wasn't JUST anal gland secretions...blood, pus, etc.! (We later discovered the dog had been scooting and licking for weeks, the owner just didn't bother to say anything.) The groomer in question had 10 years experience and knew what she was doing, so from that moment forward I decreed that no dogs in my shop would have anals done. We lost a few customers, but that was ok; I had no desire to pay another enormous vet bill on a repeat performance!

#9 Shihtz Lover

Shihtz Lover

Gold Member

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:Pets, Pets, Pets....I'm a animal lover!! I have 4 Persian's 2 Shih Tzu's and about 45 tropical fish. My husband is convinced we should build our bed like Noah's ark as they all want to pile on the bed at night or even if one of us naps.
  • My Furkids:Snickers and Cricket

• Sign: Capricorn

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:42 PM

I agree that it's best to let the vet do it. I don't think I have the stomach for that. I watched the video and well....not pretty. Poor dog, that's got to be a be embarrasing..LOL

#10 Gizzie and Lola's Mom

Gizzie and Lola's Mom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:11 PM

I agree with Pam. If one of mine need it, they are going to the vet. I watched the video too, but like I said, I smelled it once and that was plenty for me. I'm a wus and I admit it. I have never even asked the 2 groomers that I use if they do anals or not. I was more interested in making sure their ears were cleaned out and that they were cut the way I wanted them to be cut. My 3 poo enough that their anal glands out to be just fine! :hysterical:

#11 ShihtzuBeauty

ShihtzuBeauty

My Peekapoo's Upset She Only Has 3 Tzus!

• Members
  • 17340 posts
  • Interests:My Babies, Eve Shih Tzu Born Feb9 2004 Taffy Peekapoo Born April28 2005 JoJo Shih Tzu Born Feb22 2006 Choco Shih Tzu Born Feb.1 2007

Loving My Grandson Ian Ray :) and my new Granddaughter Brynli Hope :)
  • My Furkids:Eve Taffy JoJo Choco

• Sign: Pisces

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:14 PM

It does smell horrible. :hysterical: I've been doing mine for over 3yrs. and thankfully have not had any trouble. I've been lucky though none of mine have been impacted and I only do them if they are full, scooting and uncomfortable etc... Now if I ever do run across one of mine that are impacted I too would let my vet. express them for me.

#12 TeddieXRuxpin

TeddieXRuxpin

Gold Member

• Members
  • 530 posts
  • My Furkids:Teddie, Buster, Mahalo, Duncan, Sushi

• Sign: Taurus

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:22 PM

I have to take Ted in about every two to three months or he starts to smell. It doesn't seem to bother him, but one night of sleeping in bed with that... you may not be so lucky to wake up. It's a very metal smell to me; makes me nauseous.

Some dogs never have a problem. Normally they express their own glands when they poop. Others need help. A simply trip to the vet and it's over. :blush-anim-cl:

#13 FairyTail Josette

FairyTail Josette

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7932 posts
  • My Furkids:Josey, Cody, Mandy

• Sign: Leo

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:14 PM

We were just at the vets getting my Bichon, Mandy's anal glands expressed and she had an ear (yeast) infection. Poor baby, I'm hoping she feels better, now.

#14 CrazyTzuLady

CrazyTzuLady

My dog's are not spoiled...I'm just well trained!

• Members
  • 9090 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband of 19 years George and my kids George III 20 and Kevin 16. The PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!! Go Steelers! Starbucks Caramel Macchiato's, Yummo!! I am addicted! :) Of course spoiling Gizmo, Delila, Thai Thai, Huey and our newest little guy Freddie is always a lot of fun! I love to cook, read, garden and I also love to scrapbook when I have time, not so much since the pups have come along though.
  • My Furkids:Gizmo, Delila, Thai, Huey and Freddie

• Sign: Libra

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:37 AM

We were just at the vets getting my Bichon, Mandy's anal glands expressed and she had an ear (yeast) infection. Poor baby, I'm hoping she feels better, now.

Aw poor Mandy she must have been pretty uncomfortable, I hope she is feeling better today! Sending her tons of hugs and kisses! :(

#15 FairyTail Josette

FairyTail Josette

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7932 posts
  • My Furkids:Josey, Cody, Mandy

• Sign: Leo

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:29 AM

Aw poor Mandy she must have been pretty uncomfortable, I hope she is feeling better today! Sending her tons of hugs and kisses! :signthankspin:

Mandy says....Auntie Barb....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Your Company Name