Beard stains

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 chloeluv

chloeluv

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • My Furkids:Chloe, Shaina (mutt), Molly (cocker)

• Sign: Pisces

Posted 08 August 2008 - 07:59 AM

Chloe has awful beard stains that I hate SO much. Is there any way to get them to go away?

Plus another question while I'm still posting. The hair around her eyes is very stiff. She has black around her eyes so you can't see any tear satins but would tear stain treatments help this problem?

Thank you all so much :head_hurts_kr:

#2 Wicket's mom

Wicket's mom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4287 posts
  • My Furkids:Wicket, Brutus & Gucci

• Sign: Gemini

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:42 AM

Sorry, I've never had any problems with beard staining so I'm no help there. Wicket also has dark hair around his eyes so no staining, but I still wash his eye goobers away with an eye care solution which I rub onto the fur around his eyes with a facecloth as well and it helps keep those hairs clean and soft. He used to get hard hairs as well before I started doing this.

#3 Kae+Gizzy

Kae+Gizzy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1961 posts
  • Interests:My family and my dogs! Dog Training, Agility and flyball.
  • My Furkids:Gizmo & Bella (Tzu) & Ffion (Dobie)

• Sign: Cancer

Posted 08 August 2008 - 10:15 AM

I have started wiping Gizzy's beard after eating and drinking and drying it with a towel. It seem's to help abit.
He also get's hard hairs around his eye's I just wipe them with a facecloth. I recently bought a soft human toothbrush and some baby shampoo to clean the hair around his eye's, then I just give him a quick blast with the dryer. Seem's to clean him up really well...He doesn't stay that way for long though LOL

I think I have the scruffiest Tzu ever. I spend ages grooming him every morning and within 30 min's he look's like the Littlest Hobo. He look's like he has just crawled out of a trash can. Seriously!
It amazes me how neat most of the Tzu's on here look. Mine's just a big Scruff but I love him to death.

#4 Sammy and Su Lee's Mom

Sammy and Su Lee's Mom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1138 posts
  • Interests:Shih tzus, Shih tzus, Shih tzus, gardening, embroidery and oh did I mention Shih tzus.
  • My Furkids:Sammy

Posted 08 August 2008 - 10:44 AM

Mix 1 teaspoon boric acid to 1/2 cup corn starch, then apply some of it it to dry beard with little make up brush then comb it through beard , this also works great on mustashes(be very CAREFUl not to get into eyes). This will keep it real white. Another board member , I forgot her name but her Tzu's name is Doe Doe anyway she mentioned useing saline soulution to keep it real white. , but I have no idea what saline soultion is.

Edited by Daisy and Sammys Mom, 08 August 2008 - 10:46 AM.

#5 CrazyTzuLady

CrazyTzuLady

My dog's are not spoiled...I'm just well trained!

• Members
  • 9090 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband of 19 years George and my kids George III 20 and Kevin 16. The PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!! Go Steelers! Starbucks Caramel Macchiato's, Yummo!! I am addicted! :) Of course spoiling Gizmo, Delila, Thai Thai, Huey and our newest little guy Freddie is always a lot of fun! I love to cook, read, garden and I also love to scrapbook when I have time, not so much since the pups have come along though.
  • My Furkids:Gizmo, Delila, Thai, Huey and Freddie

• Sign: Libra

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:17 AM

I try to just wash their faces with a warm wash cloth after they eat and that seems to help. Have you checked to see if there are any dyes in the food that you are using? If there are that will also cause staining. I know people use Saline solution to clean contact lenses I'm not sure what other uses there are for it.

#6 chloeluv

chloeluv

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • My Furkids:Chloe, Shaina (mutt), Molly (cocker)

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:29 PM

There was no dye listed in the ingredients on Chloe's dog food.
Where can I find boric acid?
Also...Is there a special type of eye care solution that you use, wicket's mom??

Thank you everyone for your help.

#7 Stacey

Stacey

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2337 posts

• Sign: Nothing Selected

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:36 PM

also make sure your food has no beet pulp in it.... i heard that could cause beard staining... maci's food has it in it, but her eye stains are worse than her beard. Although i would love to get her "all" stain free at some point....

i have used the boric acid solution stuff on my white persian and it does work, you generally have to do it daily tho

#8 Sammy and Su Lee's Mom

Sammy and Su Lee's Mom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1138 posts
  • Interests:Shih tzus, Shih tzus, Shih tzus, gardening, embroidery and oh did I mention Shih tzus.
  • My Furkids:Sammy

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:35 PM

I don't know where you get the boric acid, Sammys breeder gave me some to use. Doe's anyone know where you get it ? Mine will be running out soon.

#9 Stacey

Stacey

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2337 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:46 PM

yes in the cleaning supply isle at walmart almost next to the bleach.. its in a box

20 mule team borax is what its called, cost about 3 bucks for a big box....... heres what it looks like
http://www.20muletea....cfm?page_id=55

#10 Sally

Sally

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2872 posts
  • Interests:Trudy! Psp and computer work, stained glass, gardening, crafts.

• Sign: Scorpio

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:03 PM

Just make sure that is safe and there is no allergy also.

#11 tashi love

tashi love

When I make a mistake I do it perfectly!

• Members
  • 726 posts

• Sign: Gemini

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:50 PM

The stains may be caused by red yeast, that can be a systemic problem and present in the saliva and tears and when the dog licks it's face which is often a moist place for them to proliferate you get staining. Boric acid is toxic if ingested or inhaled and an irritant , so use caution. Because it is a mild acid it is useful in treating a yeast problem because they do not grow in an acidic environment. You can purchase boric acid at a pharmacy. If yeast is the problem wiping the beard with a vinegar and water solution would also help.

Boric acid is not the same as Borax. Borax is a salt formed from Boric Acid and when Borax is combined with hot water some of the water molecules are converted to Hydrogen peroxide and these are what whiten. Borax is an alkaline and has a lot of uses other than cleaning.

Probably more information than you wanted to know, but "Know it alls" just can't help it, they are obsessed with information.LOL

Edited by tashi love, 09 August 2008 - 11:12 PM.

#12 Luna

Luna

Gold Member

• Administrator
  • 7801 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, orchids, gardening, yoga
  • My Furkids:Apparently too many to name here!

• Sign: Sagittarius

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:12 AM

A few thoughts:

Beet pulp in the food can indeed contribute to staining (we used to avoid it for the black poodles as it gave them a reddish cast), as can a high mineral count in your tap water. If the staining is caused by red yeast, Angel's Eyes will help on both counts.

I have been mixing boric acid powder 50/50 with cornstarch and using it to whiten for years and I know it DOES work. We have pounds of the stuff because my husband uses it at work. He says you can get it in the pharmacy department at drugstores and some grocery stores.

We clean eyes every day by dropping in some artificial tears, wiping with a cotton ball, combing out the facial fall and using a flea comb to get the eye boogers. Spa Lavish has a facial wash that is just dandy if they've got themselves especially messy with something (both mine like to dig and snuff).

#13 albrt1

albrt1

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • My Furkids:Belle, Katie and Chelsie

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:21 PM

you can get the boric acid in walmart with the eye sol. or with the ben gay and stuff. Saline sol. is for contacts. I bought mine at walmart also. I bought the plain sol. not the muli-use. I have the cornstarch but got to pick up the boric acid. Good luck...:congrats:

#14 tzuhouse

tzuhouse

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7229 posts
  • My Furkids:Josie, Maddy and Rudy

• Sign: Scorpio

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:06 PM

If you get hte multi purpose saline solution for contacts, it has a surfactant (mild cleanser) and that is what help clean the eyes and eye stain but will not harm or burn the eyes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Your Company Name