Constant Panting!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bellasmomma

bellasmomma

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:I am a single mama of two amazing skin kids, 2 shihtzu babies and one crabby old cat.
  • My Furkids:Shihtzus - Bella (5/2008) and Bentley (3/2013) and McKenzie (resident elderly cat)

• Sign: Leo

Posted 11 December 2008 - 11:44 PM

Are your dogs panters? Bella pants even when it's not hot. The vet said she had stenotic nares or something like that -- a very small nose...could that be causing the panting? It's driving me crazy. Doesn't seem to bother her at all lol.

#2 emmasmom

emmasmom

So in love with my Tzus!

• Members
  • 5496 posts
  • My Furkids: Emma & Gabby

• Sign: Nothing Selected

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:08 AM

No, Emma only pants when very warm or under stress.

#3 CrazyTzuLady

CrazyTzuLady

My dog's are not spoiled...I'm just well trained!

• Members
  • 9090 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband of 19 years George and my kids George III 20 and Kevin 16. The PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!! Go Steelers! Starbucks Caramel Macchiato's, Yummo!! I am addicted! :) Of course spoiling Gizmo, Delila, Thai Thai, Huey and our newest little guy Freddie is always a lot of fun! I love to cook, read, garden and I also love to scrapbook when I have time, not so much since the pups have come along though.
  • My Furkids:Gizmo, Delila, Thai, Huey and Freddie

• Sign: Libra

Posted 12 December 2008 - 06:50 AM

Sorry wish I knew. Mine usually only pant when they are hot and I have noticed that they seem to pant if they have to go potty.

#4 chacha

chacha

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1526 posts
  • Interests:Computers<br />Gardening<br />Digital Photography
  • My Furkids:Emily, Alice, Meeko and Chewy

• Sign: Gemini

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:22 AM

Mine pants when its warm or stressed. Get a second opinion by a different vet.

#5 ngandkoi

ngandkoi

shihtzu galore

• Members
  • 1026 posts
  • Interests:showing..breeding..reading..learning..chatting..Shihtzu and more Shihtzu
  • My Furkids:ng, madi, chutney, sensei, bushi, masami, joto

• Sign: Scorpio

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:51 AM

pinched nostrils can just be because they are teething unless its a matte of life or death dont be tempted to be swayed into surgery...use a infant vapour rub this will help breathing normally also even a drop or two of olbas oil on her bedding will help...they grow out of it unless its an heriditory condition which means her parent has the problem then the parent should not have been bred from....

#6 bellasmomma

bellasmomma

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:I am a single mama of two amazing skin kids, 2 shihtzu babies and one crabby old cat.
  • My Furkids:Shihtzus - Bella (5/2008) and Bentley (3/2013) and McKenzie (resident elderly cat)

• Sign: Leo

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:27 AM

pinched nostrils can just be because they are teething unless its a matte of life or death dont be tempted to be swayed into surgery...use a infant vapour rub this will help breathing normally also even a drop or two of olbas oil on her bedding will help...they grow out of it unless its an heriditory condition which means her parent has the problem then the parent should not have been bred from....

Thank you, I'll try those things. My vet has been great, he said that surgery is an option but we need to let her grow up first b/c it should probably correct itself. Also, she shows no other signs of distress, she just pants.

#7 shihtzumomof2

shihtzumomof2

If the Tzu fits.....

• Members
  • 1764 posts
  • Interests:Pets, gardening, pets, crafts, knitting, crochet, computer, pets, relaxing and enjoying my home and my pets. :-) I am also a realtor.
  • My Furkids:Casey, Kylie and my Angel Cricket (RIP 2-4-2010)

• Sign: Capricorn

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:18 AM

My Cricket pants a lot. At first it was just if she was stressed or hot, but now she seems to pant at strange times. I think it is her age. I hate to think that it might be a heart problem, but she will be 13 this coming February so I guess it is possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Your Company Name