Good Useful Products?

Sophie's Haven

Sophie's Haven

On some down time I will run thru sites of paw products to see what is avaiable out there......just so confusing and very costly if you buy said product and find that you are not happy with it. What do you use on your paws to groom other than the basic shampoo's and conditioner's?

• Like 4

Good thinking Jeannine!

Every once-in-a-while I use Dawn Dishwashing Detergent (the blue one) in place of shampoo. It removes excess oils and gets their hair completely back to basics.

Coconut oil as a conditioner. Makes them a little greasy, but also makes them much easier to comb. Also works to help train their nose hairs to lay down.

A few other non-grooming things I always have around the house:

Hydrogen Peroxide for cleaning any owies that might appear. Also works great for getting stains out of the carpet.

White Vinegar for cleaning around my furbabies and removing hair from everything I wash. (I put it in the bleach dispenser.)

Listerine as an antiseptic.

Saliva, both their's and mine for minor injuries!

I'm sure there's 100's of other things I use too that aren't coming to mind this early in the morning!

Vicki

• Like 4
Missysmom

One thing I've come to use every night when I groom Missy are the Perfect Coat Bath wipes, we use the moisturizing ones which are also unscented (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=18592).

I use them to wipe any pollen off of her and her paws, this has helped a lot with her alleric reactions (chewing paws, etc).

I tried a lot of different ones that were specifically for paws or face but these are the only ones she didn't react to.

I still just use a plain warm wash rag on her face though.

• Like 4
Sophie's Haven

I use white vinegar in place of fabric softner......never thought of Listerine as an antiseptic but I do use it in the summer mixed with water added to a spray bottle to keep those little biting flies away....works like a charm. I do use the coconut oil but have not tried it as a conditioner may give that a try on Lexie as her coat tends to dry out. I have always been uncomfortable using wipes, warm wash cloth with dry shampoo works for me. New things on my list of products............Thanks!!

• Like 3

I love (the use of) Listerine in myself, the yellow one. My GrandMother (God Bless her sole) taught me all about it well over fifty years ago.

Whenever I feel a cold coming on, I swallow a good swig of it. I haven't had a cold in well over SIX years!

I'm a big believer in it!

Vicki

• Like 3
Sophie's Haven

So do you use the real Listerine or one of the generic brands? I can remember growing up (was raised by my grandparents) and Listerine was a staple along with Vicks Vapor Rub. I think I got some of my use of home remedies thru my grandmother as they could not afford nothing but the basics. There use to be a drawing salve that was black like tar that we would use for slivers....does that ring a bell? If so do remember what it was called?

• Like 2
Pawz4me

I occasionally use Dawn to wash Yogi's face. It really cuts through any built up crud better than most shampoos.

I haven't used Listerine recently, but have used it in the past on dogs that were naturally a bit stinky (usually hound breeds). A little diluted original yellow Listerine sprayed on the coat works great for making them smell better, although it has to be reapplied every couple of days.

If one of the dogs needs their ears cleaned (rarely) I use a mixture of white vinegar and alcohol. It works just as well if not better than commercial ear cleaners.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 2

So do you use the real Listerine or one of the generic brands? I can remember growing up (was raised by my grandparents) and Listerine was a staple along with Vicks Vapor Rub. I think I got some of my use of home remedies thru my grandmother as they could not afford nothing but the basics. There use to be a drawing salve that was black like tar that we would use for slivers....does that ring a bell? If so do remember what it was called?

Yes the REAL Listerine and the yellow kind.

I've got all three that you've mentioned.

Oh, and the drawing salve is Ichthammol Drawing Salve Ointment. Mine is in a 1oz tube.

Icky stuff though IMHO!

Vicki

• Like 2
Missysmom

Thanks so much for the name of that black tar stuff Vicki, my husband is always talking about it but couldn't remember the name!

• Like 2

prim rose oil, i just remembered!!!!

• Like 1

What do you use Prim Rose oil for?

I've used Lavender Oil for calming Nutter Butter at a show but it really didn't work at all. :(

Vicki

• Like 1
Sophie's Haven

What do you use Prim Rose oil for?

I've used Lavender Oil for calming Nutter Butter at a show but it really didn't work at all. :(

Vicki

I have found that Lavender Oil is something that you have to use daily for it to have any affect. Almost like it has to be in the system. I used it alot last summer because of fleas but the neighbor got rid of the two boxers that he had (they were infested with fleas) that this summer we did not have any issues.

I to would like to know how Baby uses Prim rose oil...........

• Like 2
Missysmom

A few products I found very useful when I bathed Missy are:

Dog Grooming Stay-N-Wash Tub Restraint http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RMMWHY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bathing Mat

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002H3RIS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Missysmom
  • Like 3
Missysmom

For dry paw pads I recently got and am very happy with: Dermoscent Bio Balm Skin Repairing Care for Dogs http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035MPSQ6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We have hardwood floors and I've always had problems with the dogs slipping on the floors after using other products. I've not had this problem after using this product on Missy's paws and it also has done a very good job on healing the dryness from the cold weather.

• Like 3
Missysmom

My favorite combs to use on Missy-

Master Grooming Tools Stainless Steel Face and Finishing Pet Comb

http://astore.amazon.com/alshtz-20/detail/B003WGWNZ4

Li'l Pals Double-Sided Purple and Green Grooming Comb for Dogs, Extra Small

http://astore.amazon.com/alshtz-20/detail/B000O39TDC

• Like 2
Sophie's Haven

I have not tried the bath mat. Good idea!! I had a double sided comb but it was not user friendly for me. Waiting for my Bass Wooden Pin brush to arrive.......

I was going to order the Chris Christensen Peace and Kindness and read that it is to be used for hot spots, cuts ect. Can be used around nose, mouth and eyes. Does it help stop the tearing and or the staining? Am I looking at the right product?

• Like 2

My favorite combs to use on Missy-

Master Grooming Tools Stainless Steel Face and Finishing Pet Comb

http://astore.amazon.com/alshtz-20/detail/B003WGWNZ4

That face comb is like the one I have.

Very similar to a flea comb too.

It's my favorite for getting out those tiny cotton balls too and for under the eyes.

Vicki

• Like 2
Missysmom

Yes I love it for under the eyes! For some reason it works alot better than a flea comb for Missy, maybe cuz it's not as wide? Who knows I'm just glad it works!!

• Like 2
missy dawn

That face comb is like the one I have.

Very similar to a flea comb too.

It's my favorite for getting out those tiny cotton balls too and for under the eyes.

Vicki

I looked throgh all my stuff today.after i paint my grooming room in January, add new curtains , have hubby put in the shelves and rearrange, im going to set my desk up.why have it stored in a box, lol

sheila-shih tzu dreamer

Edited by missy dawn
  • Like 1

I like it better than the flea comb type because it's got a handle on it. I do wish the handle wasn't as fat as it is though.

Vicki

• Like 1

Primrose oil, i use a few drops to mix with spray cond.

But for thicker hair about a teaspoon when bathing.i find it helps with giving more shine to coat, nourishing too over a period of time.but then not all dogs react the same way, its matter of trial and error...

• Like 4

I'm going to give this a try on GingerSnap. I bathed her yesterday and she looked like a giant frizzy ball afterwards. I need more humidity here!

Thanks so much for the post AND I already have some Primrose oil too!

Vicki

• Like 3
missy dawn

I'm going to give this a try on GingerSnap. I bathed her yesterday and she looked like a giant frizzy ball afterwards. I need more humidity here!

Vicki

Let us know how it works

sheila-shih tzu dreamer

• Like 1

Vicki

When used on bathing, use as final rinse for maintenance bath..can mix with your condioner, and if it has to be rinsed make sure to rinse seventy percent.

• Like 2

Thanks for that tip! They all help.

Bath before last, I decided to try a leave in Coconut Oil rinse on GingerSnap. Boy was that a BIG mess!

I could hardly get her combed out and "almost" bathed her again to get it out, but didn't.

After I initally got her combed out almost three hours later, the following couple of days were really wonderful, but she was SO oily. Got it all out of her yesterday though. :)

Never know if we don't try!

Vicki

• Like 2